Third Time's a Charm: Litespeed T3

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

RyanH

by RyanH

Seasucker got back and said to not worry, that it's moisture related (moisture in the clear coat being pulled out) supposedly and that it'll go away on its own in a week.

I'm having a hard time believing that.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DHG01

by DHG01

RyanH wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:38 pm
I was excited to use my new Seasucker mount today.

A little less than pleased with the aftermath to say the least...

I must admit you've got great taste with cars and bikes; damn! Those two fit nice together.

glepore

by glepore

Wait, where did the 996 come from? Pick one up as a daily? Still have the 964 I hope...
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

jbaillie

by jbaillie

Could you rotate the main Seasucker mount 180 degrees, so the fork connected closer to the back of it, then move the whole bike forward so that the rear wheel still mounted on the glass, but the front was entirely on the moonroof? You'd lose the ability to use the moonroof when you were transporting the bike, but probably better than any potential damage to the finish on the car.

RyanH

by RyanH

glepore wrote:Wait, where did the 996 come from? Pick one up as a daily? Still have the 964 I hope...
I don't need a daily, just a toy. 964 was sold in the beginning of the pandemic because I didn't want to be stuck with a high mileage C4 going into what I felt was the next Great Depression. That was an expensive mistake but the reality was I needed to spend another $40k to make it a nice example and that would've been a fools errand given it was a C4 and the mileage so it was better to punt it, blame the loss on the pandemic (for the wife) and keep an eye out for a good example (basically, a do over).

After looking for awhile and realizing the air cooled market had gone from crazy (pre-covid) to batshit nuts by August, I gave up and started looking for a cheap toy to hold me over til post covid when everyone begins dumping their toys they no longer want.

This has a fresh engine rebuild, Ohlins, new clutch, wheels, tires, brakes etc... Previous owner ran an air cooled shop that does high end builds and he bought this as a personal project but later kid needs mandated he has to sell one of his 911s so this one had to go. Pictures of his build below. In all honesty, I actually like the 996 a lot. The Ohlins are fantastic, glass smooth driving around town and nice and taut in the canyons. There's enough creature comforts (huge plus to have a backup camera and touch screen media and working a/C) that it's a really pleasant car to be in. The fister mod exhaust is a nice balance of quiet around town and screams when you get on it. My only complaint is that the engine sounds sad compared to the air cooled cars. At 2500 rpm I feel like I'm driving a Nissan vs the 964 always sounded angry.

glepore

by glepore

Very cool. That 3.6 swb car is nice as well (I'd prefer the classic dash though).
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

kode54

by kode54

I was just going to suggest the sunroof glass...back wheel on rear glass.
dgasmd wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:18 pm
RyanH wrote:Permanent. Compounded for half an hour with a DA polisher and while it looks better, it's still visible in direct light. I had to stop by a body shop today to drop off some Aero side skirts to get finished and they said they'd need to block sand it. They were surprised since the paint on my car didn't feel gummy (insufficiently hardened).
Welcomed to Porsche paint. It’s the one thing I sincerely detest in my car. You look at it the wrong way while parked and you get swirls, scratches, and chips! I had a MB before this one car and you could drive through a gravel rain and not a chip everImage

I had a similar pattern develop on the roof of my older MB. However, it did “wash out” pretty easily. Knock off seasucker though. Can’t possibly imagine what about the rubber auction and such could cause that kind of paint damage. Sucks regardless!!

I have heard from many that have done it that way that you can actually put the seasucker on the sunroof glass itself. I’ve never done it myself as in theory at least I don’t like the idea of the forces pulling on the rubber gaskets that make the glass edges water tight. YMMV
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

RyanH

by RyanH

996 is a painted sunroof. Also it's been a week with two days in Rancho Mirage and the suction cup marks are not gone. Need to follow up with them...

RyanH

by RyanH

Moving the responses to these into this thread to not hijack the other thread.
14sandee wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:34 pm
@RyanH Ohlins on a 911... Is that an EMotion Engineering setup?
(Sorry to hijack the thread)
No, standard Road and Track. I had Bilstein PSS10 on my 964 and these Ohlins are impressive in how much smoother riding they are.
kode54 wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:56 pm
Did the circles buff out from the roof rack? That would drive me crazy. If
My bike has to fit inside the car. So no 911 or similar for me.
Buff out: no. Body shop wet sanded using a sanding block and they got most of it out. I had to go down to Palos Verdes on Saturday and managed to get the bike in the back with a bit of finagling. Seasucker has a rear glass only version that's ridiculously expensive, so I'm hoping I can get a significant discount on that out of this. That reminds me, I need to follow up with them since it's been over a week since I sent the claim form.

dgasmd

by dgasmd

RyanH wrote: Seasucker has a rear glass only version that's ridiculously expensive, so I'm hoping I can get a significant discount on that out of this. That reminds me, I need to follow up with them since it's been over a week since I sent the claim form.
You must be referring to the Komodo one, which at $1400 it’s beyond ridiculous! I saw one a while back and after finding out the price I almost lost my lunchImageImage

glepore

by glepore

Yeah, I could get bikes in my size (50-51 or so) in the back of my targa but its not easy. Now that I have fixed back et seats its no go.

I think my solution would be to get the paint where you want it, then get some of the 3m clear bra stuff the track guys use and have a protective patch applied in the cup area. Its removable...

MoPho

by MoPho

glepore wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:22 am

I think my solution would be to get the paint where you want it, then get some of the 3m clear bra stuff the track guys use and have a protective patch applied in the cup area. Its removable...
Suction cups will pull that right off. I found out the hard way when I used a Seasucker on my classic Mini that had the roof vinyl wrapped, it pulled it up off the car and then lost suction, came close to disaster. I should have read the instructions, said don't use on wrapped cars, doh!

I haven't had an issue with the paint on my Lotus with the suction cups (though only the back wheel mounts on the paint, the front I attach to glass). You really need to make sure the paint and the cups are clean before attaching.

I am really surprised someone hasn't made a less expensive version of the Komodo yet, there are a lot of cheaper and arguably better versions of the other Seasucker racks.

RyanH

by RyanH

I guess I didn't update this but Seasucker gave me a discount on a Komodo. T3 still going strong. I've kind of lost interest in bike things since I got the T3 back. My mind has settled on this bike being setup nearly as good as it gets (SRAM front shifting be damned).

Plus, I now have another distraction:

Expecting that just like the T3, this will be a permanent part of the collection.

kode54

by kode54

Very nice Ryan! One reason why I haven’t gone the 911 route, because I’d rather put the bike inside the car than risking mounting it outside. Always scares me whether or not I have secured it properly.

Another hobby is a nice distraction. Congrats!
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

jwalther

by jwalther

Recently bought a T3 in part because of this thread. Enjoying it so far!

My transportation solution.

2023 Capitol Bicycles Custom Ti
2019 Felt Breed 30
2013 Co-Motion Supremo when the wife wants to ride

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com