Third Time's a Charm: Litespeed T3

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

RyanH

by RyanH

I had them at 75/80 which is the same pressure as Vlaanderen.

Yeah, clinchers can be just as comfortable, if not more than tubs. I found Veloflex masters to be extremely supple, more so than Arenbergs. The Gp5k tire is a popular tire and a reference for a lot of people. I'm sure there's more supple options out there and maybe easier to mount but this whole thing (tubeless) is really not that great. I had a frustrating day trying to get tires on. I then had to buy a special tire puller to get them on. I inflated with a floor pump (one silver lining), put 60ml of orange seal and found my front deflated a couple hours later. I have zero confidence I'm going to be able to get the tire off on the side of the road and frankly, I don't trust clinchers in general with not blowing off the rim. A lot of that is because I have primarily rode tubs for the last 9 years.

Regarding the HED, the braking isn't in your face different than good carbon but I suspect they'll excel in 40 mph to zero abrupt stops.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kgibbo1868

by kgibbo1868

"big step down in ride quality from Veloflex Vlaanderen"
The Vlaanderen have been my favourite tyre so far, wonderful ride, easy to mount, and really good life / puncture resistance. :beerchug:
2019 Baum Ristretto
Pain is my friend!

flying

by flying

RyanH wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:09 am
Got a quick ride on the Hed Ardennes Plus Black with the Conti Gp5k Tubeless. After much frustration, I got them running and holding air. From my first ride I don't understand what the hype is about. If I was offered a brand new set of Gp4k and latex tubes in exchange, I'd take them.
Maybe the regular Gp5k clinchers with tube would be better

RyanH

by RyanH

flying wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:46 pm
Yeah...that's my point. If I were to do it all over again I would've gotten Gp4K (I think 2 packs are $60 at Excel right now) and saved $140. I already have it all setup now but if anyone else if considering going from clincher GP4K to tubeless, not worth it IMO.

Js2

by Js2

My buddy also had the same issue trying to fit a Gp5k tubeless... seems like these tires don't play well with a lot of tubeless compatible rims.

flying

by flying

RyanH wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:45 am
flying wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:46 pm
Yeah...that's my point. If I were to do it all over again I would've gotten Gp4K (I think 2 packs are $60 at Excel right now) and saved $140. I already have it all setup now but if anyone else if considering going from clincher GP4K to tubeless, not worth it IMO.
Geez wish I knew that :(
I usually use the Gp4k with great results 5k+ miles
I thought they were all gone already

I just bought a pair of GP5000 from PBK (plain clinchers not tubeless)
Not much more I guess I paid $75 for a pair .....just thought I would give them a try
(Actually I got free ship from PBK & Excel wants $14.90 so a wash/same price )

I never wanted to try tubeless myself :wink:

PS: Beautiful Build on the T3

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

I should clarify im on the Maxxis High Road TR. They go on easy amd roll really well.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

Imaking20

by Imaking20

So lesson learned here is going from Conti with latex to Conti tubekess isn't life changing? Maybe the takeaway is just that Conti doesnt ride very well..

P.S. Since Ryan is trolling, here's mine: RapidAir ride better than any tubular.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I like GP5000.. I think they are fast... but I probably wont buy them again..

The older pro-one are more comfortable..and I have the strand issue here and there w./5000TL

The rear is looking pretty squared off with approx 1500 miles but the front still looks good. So I will likely try the newer pro-ones that I already have and throw the front 5000 on the rear of my TT bike (28mm) and I also still have a 5000TL 25mm that I will use for the front wheel or my TT bike.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Ryan what size did you get? The 25mm is a low volume tire and it would ride harshly than a 28mm. I'm riding 28mm non-TL with latex tubes. 70psi front and 75psi rear. It rides really well but I can't compare it to a tubular.

Sent from my KFMAWI using Tapatalk

RyanH

by RyanH

I got the 25mm. It measures at 26.8mm which is roughly the same as vlaanderen. Went on another ride today with them om my usual loop through Griffith Park. I don't know if the Ardennes are a contributing factor but I don't recall GP4K being annoying to ride on. I thought they were mediocre but tolerable. I'm growing to disdain these though.

Maybe I'll order some Veloflex masters before I get rid of these wheels since I do like the braking so far.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I hope it's not the ardennes... I have not been on mine in year+ and they are going on the moots because that's all I have in the rim brake world.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2023 Pivot E-Vault

RyanH

by RyanH

I decided that I am going to offload the HED. With ee Brakes if I toe the pads using a credit card they have good power but shreak like no other. Kinda like having disc again but only happens when braking hard as opposed to all the time. Toeing them in with two credit cards quiets them down but now I lost a lot of power. On my intervals today riding up and down an 11% grade it was a welcomed change when I swapped bikes mid ride and was on the Bontrager.

Also, I decided to work on alienating myself from the bike industry by posting my non-pc thoughts on bike things I've owned (not safe for sensitive types):
https://www.instagram.com/whatbikemagswontwrite/

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

been riding my Moots around with that. combo.. did the same.. credit card toe in... yes very loud. Using swissstop flash evo pads for metal rims....like you said good power though.

my disc brakes are less noisy :noidea: I'm hunting for tubs anyways.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2023 Pivot E-Vault

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

synchronicity

by synchronicity

Fixie82 wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:17 am
In Australia if you can alter the box to be an odd shape it will be posted on weight only not volume. I've done this with wheel and bike boxes before, just takes a little skill with some scissors and a lot of tape.

Might be worth a try

Examples

I once tried that in Spain. And you know what they did at the post office? They measured across the longer diagonal part, and told me that that was the length. Same again for the "width". And of course it worked out to be more! :lol:
vertebrae | Precision braking and shifting.
vayakora | Eco mouse mats: silk, linen, cotton, ramie, bamboo, etc.