Third Time's a Charm: Litespeed T3

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

jrobart

by jrobart

I have a T5G and have used it both as a daily commuter (50 miles round trip) and on a recent bike packing trip through Vermont, Canada and Upstate New York (use a large Relevate seat pack and frame pack, not panniers). The geometry works quite well for both of those applications. Not sure that I would find it as enjoyable as my go to road bike, but I have been pleasantly surprised by the versatility of the frame.
Current: Seven 622 SLX | Seven OVRLND XX | Fondriest Carbon Magister | Yeti SB100 |
Retired: Litespeed T5G | Seven Axiom SL| Seven Mudhoney SL|S Works Crux |Fat CAAD 1 |

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

zico888

by zico888

thanks Jrobart, any views on the T6? looks like a sweet deal going on now.. :)

glepore

by glepore

So, the ad surprised me. Is a t5 inbound or do you like the Willier and Crumpton that much?
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

didn't see that coming..
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

themidge

by themidge

on 03.08.2018*, RyanH wrote:I'm only selling [some rim brake wheels] because I'm fairly certain that I'm staying with disc.
in reply, themidge wrote:I hope this doesn't spell the end for the Litespeed :( .
then, ominously, RyanH wrote:@themidge
In its current glory, yes, this is most likely the end. I'm on the fence if I'll keep it as a backup bike or the Classic.
:cry:

* that's the 3rd of August by the way, for all you silly Americans :wink:
Last edited by themidge on Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

moonoi

by moonoi

themidge wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:16 am
on 03.07.2018*, RyanH wrote:I'm only selling [some rim brake wheels] because I'm fairly certain that I'm staying with disc.
in reply, themidge wrote:I hope this doesn't spell the end for the Litespeed :( .
then, ominously, RyanH wrote:@themidge
In its current glory, yes, this is most likely the end. I'm on the fence if I'll keep it as a backup bike or the Classic.
:cry:

* that's the 3rd of August by the way, for all you silly Americans :wink:
Actually thats 3rd of July... :wink:

themidge

by themidge

Oh yeah, lol I can't even read my own dating system properly :oops: :P

Edit, I went back and checked, the original post was on the 3rd of August, but I wrote it wrong in my OP :D. Fixed now.

RyanH

by RyanH

The prodigal son returns...

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Titanium sucks. At least throw some disc brakes on..

KarlC

by KarlC

For the love of Ti !

There is a post on PL on the ride quality of Ti vs Carbon, with some saying you cant really tell the differance and that most everthing ealse makes a much bigger difference that the frame.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=237688

https://www.cervelo.com/en/ride-quality

C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

RyanH

by RyanH

Got my first ride on it today, did the Rose Bowl ride and got in about 75 miles tonight. Took a handful of 450w pulls on the backside to establish the break but spent the next 45 minutes in a small break that somehow grew over time (people kept jumping in...poor form). All I can say is man I missed this bike.

godzuki26

by godzuki26

You probably covered this already but what was it about the Litespeed T1SL that you did not like? The handling? Was it too stiff? Maybe too fancy? None the less, it is nice to see the T3 reborn again. So, 4th time a charm? Haha
:arrow: BH Ultralight
:arrow: Litespeed Ghisallo
:arrow: Scott Addict Singlespeed

ImageCannondale Evo HiMod
ImageFelt AR FRD

RyanH

by RyanH

My best guess is that it's the goldilocks paradox where the amount of flex in the BB area on the T1sl was outside the range of juuussst right. It could be due to the 6/4 tubing as the tube shaping didn't seem too much different in the rear from the T3. But in the end, by being stiffer it lost some of its liveliness that is characteristic of good Ti. However it wasn't as stiff as carbon so it was in no man's land which felt worse than if it was on the flexier side of things. With all this being said, I also sold it at a point in the year where I was overtrained and burnt out so it's also probable that my efforts were done in poor form while I was riding carbon back to back and it magnified the perception. So bear that in mind.

I think the T1sl looked slightly better, particularly in my size. Everything else about the bike was great. It rode nicely and was very calm descending. I just didn't mesh with it for some reason and I can't quite put my finger on it other than the overall perception of flex without the accompanied liveliness was what pressed in my mind more and more as it came closer to selling it.

I have the Classic which is definitely lacking in HT stiffness but it feels so great to ride otherwise so as long as I don't take it out on balls to the walls effort type of rides, I am completely enamored with it.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Sram eTap? I had thought you have given up on Sram.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RyanH

by RyanH

I have, but like a junkie needing a fix, my local dealer only had eTap on hand so I bought it...cause I was in a hurry. EeBrakes pair well with eTap though, much better than 9150 and shifting with the XG-1190 11-28 cassette works. So, there's a silver lining I suppose.