Ridley Helium SL TDF Retro Edition (2015)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

lego

by lego

Mr.Gib wrote:Would love to see a photo of the rider on the helium, in the drops. That is the most extreme setup I think I have ever seen. OK, so super high saddle but also shoved all the way forward? So does this mean a super long lower legs, short femurs, tiny feet, short torso, and then crazy long gorilla arms? And the saddle is tilted nose down? Even with the cleat position and saddle rail issue something is not quite right. The whole thing is just weird looking.

Hi!
I kind of understand your concern, it looks quite extreme, but as stated before in this thread; I think this has a lot to do with the thickness of tubes and angles of the top tube. The Fenix SL has a geometry that's almost exactly the same as the Helium but doesn't look that extreme at all. Don't have any pictures in of me in the drops, but I can assure you the position feels good even after 5-7 hrs on the bike. I ride quite a lot in the drops and with this 120 mm -8 degree stem it feels a lot better than before. Nowadays I ride with another saddle and it's perpendicular to the ground. Haven't really sorted out the setback position yet and think I'll try to move it about 10 mm backwards as the next change.

I'm well aware of that a size Small is a size smaller than the Medium that Ridley recommends for me at 182 cm. But I've always sized down and always liked it so even if it looks strange I have to say that how the bike feels for me is the main concern over how others think the setup looks.

And if you really want to see me on the bike I'll attach a couple of pictures from this years Rapha 12 Hills [link]. 2200 m of elevation in 150 km in Sweden with 12 steep ills that ramps up all the way to 28% as the max. Best day on the bike this year, so much fun even if the fitness could have been better.

Hastur wrote:Looks really good! Digging the "retro" color scheme! :-)

Thanks! <3
Cheers!
- Jon Olsson - SHCK - We're only here for the beer/gear!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

lego

by lego

And a bonus picture of the Fenix SL:
Cheers!

mortirolo

by mortirolo

Nice bikes!

for Fenix:
Campagnolo COMP ULTRA has 30 mm spindle too, like Rotor.
Marco Pantani - Momenti Di Gloria
AX Vial (SR11) <- FELT FC (Record 10) <- LOOK KX (Dura-Ace) <- Specialized EPIC (Superbe Pro)

themidge

by themidge

lego wrote: Nowadays I ride with another saddle and it's perpendicular to the ground.

:frightened:
:lol:
i hope you meant parallel 8)

lego

by lego

themidge wrote:
lego wrote: Nowadays I ride with another saddle and it's perpendicular to the ground.

:frightened:
:lol:
i hope you meant parallel 8)

Doh... Haha, of course! Was kind of tired writing that ;) There is no tilt at all on the saddle nowadays ;)

mortirolo wrote:Nice bikes!

for Fenix:
Campagnolo COMP ULTRA has 30 mm spindle too, like Rotor.

Thanks! I really like the rotor cranksets but a 30 mm spindle is not ideal for this bike, the crankbearings are very thin. Thinking of buying something with 24 mm instead.
Cheers!

lego

by lego

The Fenix SL loves a bit of off-road riding. This is on a very nice little single-track just a few kms from my home.
Cheers!

lego

by lego

I got my hands on the 2018 Fenix SL of Gerben Thijssen, the bike that he used when he won the Belgian U23 champions jersey back in 2018. So just changed the frameset from the old matte black Fenix SL to this one. Also bought a set of wide Hunt wheels and set it up tubeless, that made this bike awesome when it comes to riding gravel.

Also have some news about the Helium SL, but that will have to be a cliffhanger...
Attachments
IMG_20190813_175824-02.jpeg
IMG_20190904_160708-01.jpeg
Cheers!

larsivanov

by larsivanov

Hi there,

Great couple of bikes. Well done! How would you compare riding your Helium to Fenix? I am just looking for a new frame and am looking at both. Helium is significantly more expensive of course. If you were to have just one bike, which one would you pick just based on how it rides (aesthetic considerations aside). Appreciate any info since I am kind of stuck.

Thanks much

Guevarca

by Guevarca

As someone else who owns both Helium and a Fenix if I HAD to choose just one, it would probably be the Fenix SL. Both mine are also ex-Lotto team frames and I do love them both, the ride on the Helium SLX is just sublime and the weight of course is fantastic.
However I kinda love the underdog aspect of the Fenix SL, it punches so much above its weight and price tag and is a genuine Pro level frame that can also take on 28, even some 30mm tyres and be a great all rounder.
My Fenix SL is actually the one off paint scheme that Ridley did for Thijssen after he won the Belgian u23 champs, in a grey and black so its unusual colours make it even cooler to me.
I must try and get some images for the forum, I know Ridleys aren’t as common on here but are really great frames...

larsivanov

by larsivanov

Guevarca wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 7:52 am
As someone else who owns both Helium and a Fenix if I HAD to choose just one, it would probably be the Fenix SL. Both mine are also ex-Lotto team frames and I do love them both, the ride on the Helium SLX is just sublime and the weight of course is fantastic.
However I kinda love the underdog aspect of the Fenix SL, it punches so much above its weight and price tag and is a genuine Pro level frame that can also take on 28, even some 30mm tyres and be a great all rounder.
My Fenix SL is actually the one off paint scheme that Ridley did for Thijssen after he won the Belgian u23 champs, in a grey and black so its unusual colours make it even cooler to me.
I must try and get some images for the forum, I know Ridleys aren’t as common on here but are really great frames...
Thanks for a response. Would be great to see your Fenix! How's it when going up hill? It's not featherweight I get it, but I am worried that it won't have that snap acceleration due to its endurance platform.

Guevarca

by Guevarca

The Fenix SL is still a good climber, I think it says a lot that Lotto have used the frame a fair bit in the past and it was also used used by the u23 and Ladies team - good enough for them, so good enough for me ;-)
Ithink it is overlooked as Ridley term it ‘endurance’ even though the geometry is very near the same as Noahs and Heliums - just with a little more tyre clearance, it is still certainly a race bike if needed

majklnajt

by majklnajt

What handlebar are you using now? Thanks.

Squashednuts

by Squashednuts

delete
Edited post to include wrong quote so it ended up in the wrong place
Building Spec Allez

Sold
Fuji SL 5.5kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=157704

Sold -
Izalco Max Disc 6.7kg http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... o+Max+disc

lego

by lego

larsivanov wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 7:41 am
Hi there,

Great couple of bikes. Well done! How would you compare riding your Helium to Fenix? I am just looking for a new frame and am looking at both. Helium is significantly more expensive of course. If you were to have just one bike, which one would you pick just based on how it rides (aesthetic considerations aside). Appreciate any info since I am kind of stuck.

Thanks much
Hi!

Thanks and sorry for the late reply. I would have to say that for me, the Helium SL is the better bike as long as it's not too rough of a road surface. But as soon as it starts to get a bit rougher, the Fenix SL is a lovely bike. I guess, that have a lot to do with tire width. I had a discussion a few weeks ago with a friend that owns a Fenix SL, he thought it felt a bit "dead" on smooth tarmac, but as soon as he rode gravel or something sketchy, it really came alive. I kind of agree with him there.
Cheers!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

lego

by lego

Guevarca wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 6:29 pm
The Fenix SL is still a good climber, I think it says a lot that Lotto have used the frame a fair bit in the past and it was also used used by the u23 and Ladies team - good enough for them, so good enough for me ;-)
Ithink it is overlooked as Ridley term it ‘endurance’ even though the geometry is very near the same as Noahs and Heliums - just with a little more tyre clearance, it is still certainly a race bike if needed
Are you also based in Sweden? Saw one of this u23-champ bikes for sale in Sweden a couple of weeks ago.
Cheers!