Godzuki26 Wife's Cannondale Evo HiMod 48cm build [3.96 kg] or [8.73 lbs]

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

godzuki26

by godzuki26

@AZR3 - I almost broke my wrist lifting this derailleur. It is too heavy for bicep curls.
:arrow: BH Ultralight
:arrow: Litespeed Ghisallo
:arrow: Scott Addict Singlespeed

ImageCannondale Evo HiMod
ImageFelt AR FRD

petal666

by petal666

A true labour of love this bike. Excellent work.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

Schmolke M4 x 16mm worked for me for limits and b-tension. My scale only does tenths, but they came in at 0.5g. I also weighed my drilled out clamp bolt - not sure if it was stock or a special I ordered, but it's only 1.2g.

I think the issue with your M6 Schmolke bolts for the adjuster may be that they're actually oversized in the threaded part - that's my diagnosis anyway. Going to try to re-tap the threads as well as a hole for the cable, as I didn't feel comfortable screwing them into AX Lightness brakes with any force!

I won't use them til next year anyway as I want to get another season out of my KCNC ti cables (they cost enough). Any more clamping and unclamping is going to leave them in even worse shape than they already are due to the amount of tinkering I've done.

Is the stock pivot bolt hollow ti? As your alu bolts came in similar in weight (and I'm pretty sure they're solid), if you drilled them out you could get a good weight. Only concern would be about how it holds up I guess. Then again you coukd say the same about the Delrin bolt.

godzuki26

by godzuki26

The M6 barrel adjusters from Toronto Cycles are are extremely heavy. Great for some accent colors, but not good for my current application. I also have an Ebay barrel adjuster I bought from Ebay. Also, check out the Ax Lightness Orion brake barrel adjuster for reference. Below are the weights:

Toronto Cycles M6 barrel adjuster (black)

Toronto Cycles M6 barrel adjuster (blue)

Toronto Cycles M6 barrel adjuster (purple)

Ebay M6 barrel adjuster (red)

Ax Lightness Orion M6 barrel adjuster (black)

ImageFelt AR FRD

godzuki26

by godzuki26

@4ibanez - You are right about the threads. All of the above barrel adjusters fit perfectly in my Ax Lightness Orion/Ax3000 brake calipers. The M6 Schmolke bolt also fits with no problem. However, they do not fit in the derailleur. I can get maybe 1/2 turn before it ceases. I found a really good explanation as to why below:

"Threads are sometimes identified as “fine” or “coarse.” A fine thread will have a relatively small pitch measurement, and the threads will be closer together. A coarse thread has a relatively larger pitch measurement, and the threads will be further apart. Fine pitch threads are sometimes used to make adjustments. Derailleur adjusting screws are commonly a 0.75mm pitch. A quarter of a turn on a derailleur screw advances the screw end only 0.19mm. A fine thread will have less depth as compared to a coarse thread, and consequently are easier to strip. A coarse thread is more resistant to stripping but also less efficient in transmitting torque (turning) into thread tension. Generally, a fine pitch is easier to tighten in that tension is achieved at lower torques. In the image below, two bolts of the same diameter are magnified using an optical comparator. Notice the relatively coarser threads are deeper as compared to the fine threads. " - Park Tool

The left illustrates a Coarse Thread found on the brake M6 barrel adjusters.
The right illustrates a Fine Thread used on derailleurs for finer more precise adjustments.

So, I will be unable to use any of the brake adjuster bolts on the derailleur. When I was shopping for bolts, all I looked for was "M6" thread and "length". I learned that there is a difference now in thread pitch. Unfortunately, bolts when listed for sale don't disclose this so you have to buy it and see if it works. I hope this post will help someone not waste their money as I did.

ImageFelt AR FRD

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Re tap the hole? Would be less than ideal but should hold.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

Hmm my AX3000 alu adjusters are shortened, but even with the locknut they're only 1.6g. 2.4g for just the bolt seems kinda heavy. I'll try re-tapping the Schmolke M6 bolts for my brakes as they seem oversized for fit, and I reeeaaally don't want to break such expensive calipers by forcing a bolt in it! Sounds like there could be some tolerance differences between our components!

godzuki26

by godzuki26

@4Ibanez - Yes do not force the bolts in. I ruined the threads on some Ax Lightness Morpheus cranks trying to force some KCNC pedals in. It was the same scenario I was experiencing with the barrel adjuster bolts. I should have just tossed the pedals but instead ruined some cranks that you cannot get anymore. I was 😡

ImageFelt AR FRD

godzuki26

by godzuki26

I got all my ingredients to cook up some parallelogram pins. As mentioned before, I got some different materials just to satisfy my curiousity on weight. This is a total do it yourself approach with no machining tools. If I fail, I already have a machinist friend who can fabricate the pins for me as a favor. What fun is there if you get someone else to do it right?

So my idea to make these pins is to first get some 4mm diameter rods. Then, get some aluminum rivets. I want to create threads on the rods using a metric die set. After the threads are created, simply thread the rivets on the rod. Cut the rod to length and press the home made pivot bolts into the parallelogram.

I bought this on Ebay for $15 usd. I have never used a die set before but my experience with tools is you get what you pay for. So, if the qualty is not good and I can't make nice threads I will have to go all out and get some SnapOn dies.

ImageFelt AR FRD

godzuki26

by godzuki26

As stated earlier when I started this derailleur, I mentioned that the pins were pressed into an M5 diameter hole which reduced to an M4 diameter hole. That is the reason why I need these rivets. Once screwed on, it will turn the head of my 4mm diameter rod into a 5mm so that it can be pressed in. I bought M3, M4, and M5 rivets to mess around with.

Last edited by godzuki26 on Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

ImageFelt AR FRD

godzuki26

by godzuki26

This is what the M3 sized rivet looks like. It fits very nice and matches the polished body of the derailleur.

ImageFelt AR FRD

godzuki26

by godzuki26

I have been posting weights on EVERYTHING for this derailleur. I have come to find that SRAM does a very good job keeping the weight down when it comes to bolts. I am sure that it is no different with the stock SRAM RED aluminum pins. For fun, I got 6/4 titanium, hollow steel, aluminum, brass, delrin, and carbon rods. I cut them all down to the same length of 32 mm so I can compare weights. The stock RED pin is 25mm long but I cut my rods to 32mm so I have room to thread or rethread.

ImageFelt AR FRD

godzuki26

by godzuki26

Brass 4mm x 32mm rod

Hollow steel 4mm x 32mm rod

6/4 grade 5 titanium 4mm x 32mm rod

Aluminum 4mm x 32mm rod

Delrin 4mm x 32mm rod

Carbon 4mm x 32mm rod

ImageFelt AR FRD

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Don't buy snap on... Sutton taps and die's are much nicer.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NiFTY

by NiFTY

This is amazing weight weenie ultra-nerd work. Keep it up. Can't "weight" to see the final result - geddit.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;