Colnago Master X-Light - PR82 7.9kg / 17.4 Lbs

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderator: Moderator Team

kgibbo1868

by kgibbo1868

What a gorgeous bike CarlC! I love these old Colnagos, the only thing I am not sure on is the bottle cage, but one of my favorite bikes on here.
2019 Baum Ristretto
Pain is my friend!

by Weenie

KarlC

by KarlC

dadoflam08 wrote:KGT - normally I would agree on a vintage bike but I have to say that the Master in this thread carries the deep wheels well.

Thanks !

KarlC

by KarlC

kgibbo1868 wrote:What a gorgeous bike KarlC! I love these old Colnagos, the only thing I am not sure on is the bottle cage, but one of my favorite bikes on here.

Thanks man, yea the bottle cages are not what you might normally see, that 1 thing I like about them.

Thx

RyanH

by RyanH

KarlC, could you give us a ride report? These frames have always intrigued me. Especially curious how it compares to your BMC.
Strava
Not for the sensitive types. My Instagram reviews
The Ex's: I've lost track...

KarlC

by KarlC

RyanH wrote:KarlC, could you give us a ride report? These frames have always intrigued me. Especially curious how it compares to your BMC.

Well as you know comparing a steel Colnago Master X-Light to a carbon BMC TMR01 would not be a normal comparison but.....

- Colnago Master X-Light - What can I say that has not already been said about this legendary bike. YES it rides and descends as smooth as they come, it set the standard in many ways. A pure joy to own and ride ! These newer Master X-Light frames also allow for wider wheels and tires compared to the older ones. This lets you fit the best current wheels and tires, further enhancing all aspects of this amazing frame, I've had 27s on mine with no issues. The fit is long and low, just what I like, it suits the heritage of a frame that has won more races than you can count. If there is a slight weak spot for some it might be the RARE times you make a quick hard jump out of the saddle, it can be a fraction slow to respond compared to a new carbon frame, but its really hardly noticeable.

My bike came with the Dura Ace 25th Anniversary 7700 9 spd group, at first I was not sure about Dura Ace on a Colnago but have grown to love it. The Dura Ace 9 spd, is much like the bike, its very engaging from the feel to the visual appeal (the 25th Anniversary has a higher polish). This is my go to bike to just enjoy the days countless hours and sights on a bike !

One other thing you have to keep in mind with this bike is that it draws a crowd like no other bike I have seen, its a Classic, a Legend, its a Colnago, its got lots of shiny bits,
its a #@%*!! Master X-Light and everyone seems to be drawn to it.

- BMC TMR01 - I like the look of TT bikes, straight top tubes, clean lines, so I was drawn to the TMR01. This thing looks and feels fast, stomp on the pedals and it goes, tuck in, head down and pass right by the rest of the pack on a descend. Guys catch back up after a long drop and say man that BIKE is fast, never do they say that I'm fast. It rated at the top of Tour Mags Aero Test 2016, they called it a future classic, its only weakness is its stiffer ride so I solved this with Tubular Wheels and Tires, you can fits 28s on this frame. My TMR01 came with Ultegra Di2, my 1st experience with electronic shifting and I'm not sure I would live without it now. This bike will also get you lots of complements, its my go to bike when I want to pound out a fast ride.

Think of the Colnago Master X-Light with Dura Ace 25th Anniversary 7700 9 spd group as a Restro Mod Classic Car with a Manual trans, and the BMC TMR01 with Di2 as a Modern Turbo with an Automatic.

Its nice to have 2 bikes that are so different in so many ways but both such a joy to own, to look at and to ride.

LorneMalvo

by LorneMalvo

Both of your bikes are super nice! Although I'm not really into TT/Aero bikes, I must admit the BMC just looks sharp! What you said about the ride quality of the Master totally mirrors what I feel when riding my Tecnos. Pure joy to ride.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

glepore

by glepore

Excellent ride review Karl. I have a '96 Technos, and a couple of modern bikes as well (Cento Uno Air, Supersix HM). While at this point in my life the Colnago is mostly a sunny day cruise bike, it still brings a smile to my face every time I ride it. It really is ridiculously stable and smooth. Not nearly as "responsive" to either steering or pedal imputs as the modern carbon wonderbikes, but that's not always a bad thing. The only thing I miss is compact gearing, I'd ride it more if it had something other than a 53/39, but I don't want to mess with the vintage look of the orginal Record 9. I did add Deltas, just because I love the look, even though they predate the rest of the group by a few years. Wouldn't trade the Colnago for anything.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

KarlC

by KarlC

LorneMalvo wrote:Both of your bikes are super nice! Although I'm not really into TT/Aero bikes, I must admit the BMC just looks sharp! What you said about the ride quality of the Master totally mirrors what I feel when riding my Tecnos. Pure joy to ride.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Thanks man, enjoy your ride !

WinterRider

by WinterRider

I wish this frame would/could grow some (58cm).. need at least 60. Asking .. can not find online .. has the geo on these frames chg'd over time?

On above on NY NJ craigslist.

This thread is going to lighten my wallet .. I am sure.
Litespeed 2000 Appalachian 61 cm
Litespeed 1998 Blue Ridge 61cm

Fitness rider.. 2 yrs from seven decades age.

That is my story and I'm stick'n to it.

KarlC

by KarlC

Got to rework my photos but this is it for now ......

Image20170826_185116_resized (002) by Karl Crooks, on Flickr