### 2014 LYNSKEY HELIX OS ###

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

namejoker

by namejoker

Hello all ! Greeting from Thailand :D

Actually I've been reading the forum for more than 5 years. This forum have been giving me a lot of information and different perspective of building bikes. I think it's time for me to share mine and hopefully they will inspire someone who read here as well as I used to.

A little bit about myself. I'm 168cm high with long leg short torso (83cm inseem). I personally have a back problems, I can't go low and go hard for long. Therefore most (in fact pretty much all) of my bike will have high stack and short reach.

Here is my bike index ;

Scott Addict R1
Bianchi EV4
Cannondale CAAD10
Cervelo R3
Lynskey Breakaway
Lynskey Helix

Today I'm sharing my current bike, 2014 Lynskey Helix. The rest will be shared later :D

The reason I'm using titanium bike is because they last over time, don't have paint to scratch, and they doesn't require much attention after every ride or workout on a home trainer. The bike is not so weight-weenies since my main purpose of this bike is "an everything bike". It'll have to do century, up the climb, down the climb, little club race, pretty much everything. Therefore my choice of main components will lean towards reliability for everyday use as first priority, weight is the second priority, however the total weight must not exceed 7.5 kg. Also I'm a small guy with little FTP, you'll see a huge gearing here plus a lot weight penalty. It's a wall climbing set up as I said it'll have to takes everything I throw at it.

Why 2014 helix ? I'm not really a fans of custom geometry so I never look anything in that field. Ti bikes normally built with classic geometry, long reach, short stack. But helix is not. It has a very high stack and short reach, at size S it fits just like Cervelo R3 at size 54, which suits people with long leg like me very well. I start looking for the frame in the end of 2015 but after all bought the 2014 model. One with hour glass head tube, twisted top tube and clover leaf rear drop out, which are what I love and all three are only exist in the 2014 model. The 2015 and 2016 model are way over my like and budget with new top tube design.

SO, here is the spec

Lynskey Helix OS 2014 (S)...................1533 g
ENVE 2.0 Tapered................................315 g
ENVE plug w/ FSA Top Cap....................40 g
Generic headset IS42/52 bearing............60 g
WOOdman 3mm headset cover...............3 g
SRAM PF30 bb.....................................85 g
Cannondale SI Hollowgram 172.5 crank...448 g
Cannondale MkV 50/34 chainring............101 g
SRAM Force PG1170 11-36 cassette.........366 g
SRAM Force 22 shifter...........................318 g
SRAM RED 22 Yaw front derailleur...........78 g
Generic Braze-On adapter......................30 g
SRAM XX medium cage rear derailleur.....181 g
Shimano DA 9000 chain.........................240 g
Shimano DA 9000 cables.......................120 g
EE Brake W/ Shimano pads....................197 g
S-Works Power 143 saddle.....................161 g
WOOdman TCSL 34.9 seat collar..............12 g
Lynskey Ti 27.2 seat post (cut)................187 g
Non-branded stem 100mm 6d W/ Ti blots..100 g
Fizik Cyrano R3 snake 400mm alloy bar....248 g
Deda Nastro Perforate bar tape W/ plug....65 g
Cannondale IMMIX Ti-carbon bottle cage....59 g
3d-printing computer mount....................12 g

Wheelset @ 2273 g
Front hub Shimano DA9000 24H.............122 g
Rear hub Powertap G3 24H....................337 g
Sapim CX Ray + Brass Nipple F+R..........262 g
HED Belgium 24H F+R..........................920 g
Veloplug F+R......................................9 g
Schwalbe Ultralite SV20 Tubes F+R........130 g
Challenge Elite 23C tyres F+R................450 g
EVO titanium skewer............................43 g

TOTAL 7405 gram

More photos are coming ...
IF I get a good sunny day soon :oops:
(it's raining everyday here in Thailand :noidea: )

Comments are welcome !!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KCookie

by KCookie

Sounds like a nice bike, but can't see any images to tell. !!

namejoker

by namejoker

Seems like my image host is out of service [emoji32]

New one here VVV

Sent from my MotoG3-TE using Tapatalk

gangbyeon

by gangbyeon

That's great for twisted down tube!!
How many "T" sprocket? 32T?

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Looking at those twisted tubes has given me a headache.

McGilli

by McGilli

Nice! Good timing on your post. There aren't too many Lynskey posts around. More Pictures 8)

I'm waiting for my size S 2016 Helix Sport frame to arrive right now. Like you i I wanted a more relaxed position for this bike.

I went for the replaceable hanger version though - so no special looking drop outs.

I see you have your stem slammed (No spacers) on the bike. I'm 175cm - you are 168 - but I have long torso and short legs - so opposite of you.

I'm planning to keep some spacers though under my stem though - for a more relaxed position. I do rides up to 400km so mine will be about comfort too:)

How much 'toe overlap' do you get with your front wheel and your cycling shoes?

nobuseri

by nobuseri

Nice build and props on the gumwalls! I have a Helix Pro with gumwalls as well (VeloFlex Master 25mm).
Cicli Barco XCr Road
Moots VaMoots
Parlee Z1
SuperX Hi-Mod Disc

namejoker

by namejoker

gangbyeon wrote:That's great for twisted down tube!!
How many "T" sprocket? 32T?

It's cyclocross 11-36T :oops:

McGilli wrote:Nice! Good timing on your post. There aren't too many Lynskey posts around. More Pictures 8)

I'm waiting for my size S 2016 Helix Sport frame to arrive right now. Like you i I wanted a more relaxed position for this bike.

I went for the replaceable hanger version though - so no special looking drop outs.

I see you have your stem slammed (No spacers) on the bike. I'm 175cm - you are 168 - but I have long torso and short legs - so opposite of you.

I'm planning to keep some spacers though under my stem though - for a more relaxed position. I do rides up to 400km so mine will be about comfort too:)

How much 'toe overlap' do you get with your front wheel and your cycling shoes?

Great ! It's a great frame if you can get over the hefty frame weight, lol. The 2016 Pro and 2014 helix seems to have a very close geometry only the 2016 one using 45 rake fork if I remember it right. You might be able to fit perfectly on M... with higher head tube on M and a little longer reach for your arm. Have you try riding them ?

About toe overlap issue, for me I get the front wheel crossing my shoe tip very often when turning the bike at very low speed. It's about an inch though so I guess at bigger size it might not have this problem. :idea:

nobuseri wrote:Nice build and props on the gumwalls! I have a Helix Pro with gumwalls as well (VeloFlex Master 25mm).

That's a great tyre ! I used them before but recently changed to Challenge because it's cheaper and seems to stands for more mileage. The Veleflex Master does Ride a lot smoother and rolls better though, missing it now :roll:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com