Ax-Lightness Vial Sram E-tap 4.1kgs

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

jimaizumi

by jimaizumi

Its good to see madcow still actively contributing to this forum. Not only is he entertaining to watch but his thorough attention to detail is something that should prove as a model for everybody here.... Having that said, let me go grab my popcorn because yes, I am going to be all over this build.
THE PAST: 2005 C'dale R700, 2006 Spesh S-Works Tarmac Gerolsteiner, 2009 Pinarello Dogma FPX My Way, 2011 Time RXR VIP

THE PRESENT: 2016 Colnago C60 ST01, 2017 Wilier Cento 10 Ramato, Cinelli Gazetta

THE FUTURE: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

prendrefeu wrote:What tuning did you do to the EE brakes?

There's not a lot to do on an EE brake without getting out a drill. In this case we removed a pad spacer, swapped ti pad holder and pinch bolts to alloy. Removed all the rubber from the plug and used some superglue to put it back into place.

mike wrote:When did thm do the Ltd edition fibulas?was this a one off build for you?

No they weren't just for us. For the 10th anniversary of the Clavicula Thm did a limited edition of 88 cranks some with matching brakes. I managed to get my hands on a #1 of 88 matching crank and brakes.

gangbyeon wrote:Do assembled with Sram Red?
Seems to be lighter than 5 kilogram.
The final weight will be looking forward to it!

Yes likely to be Sram for this build. Have both mechanical and etap for it. Not trying to do anything too crazy with it, but think setup as a light climber will probably be in the 4.2-4.3 range and around 5 as a daily rider with wide aero wheels.

mrlobber wrote:Yes, please, list, if possible:
1) how was the headset modified (except the EE topcap, which is self explanatory)

For the headset I kept the SL lower bearing. Replaced the upper bearing, wedge and cap with Kcnc Morion Ti DLC. And then swapped the cap and bolt for the EE.
Attachments
B9rVVwRIgAA4W0G.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

saddles.

Attachments
ax11.jpg
ax12.jpg
ax13.jpg
ax14.jpg

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

i would go with the tune, since it has white on it.

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

Original seatpost

The only tuning to do here was to change the color to match a bit better:

Attachments
ax15.jpg
ax17.jpg
ax16.jpg

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

Handlebar:

Same story as post, only tuning is getting a matching color

Attachments
ax20.jpg
ax19.jpg
ax18.jpg

mrlobber

by mrlobber

You almost mimic my intended build! :thumbup:

However, an interesting note - the Vial Evo D, which I have now (size M), weighs 840g with stock BB / hanger / headset bearings, which, adding up the weights you posted, kinda indicates my frame is at least 80g more heavy than 660-670g, and it does have slightly different graphics as well (older version?) although bought only 3 weeks ago from starbike.com (white underside of the chainstays and only AX logo on the downtube instead of the "Vial Evo"). I wonder why is it so :noidea:
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

jimaizumi

by jimaizumi

Regarding the saddle, I'd say the Tune Komm Vor + for the aesthetics but as a bike to be ridden, that leather bit at the back end of the saddle will peel off in time as well as the fading of the gloss finish.
THE PAST: 2005 C'dale R700, 2006 Spesh S-Works Tarmac Gerolsteiner, 2009 Pinarello Dogma FPX My Way, 2011 Time RXR VIP

THE PRESENT: 2016 Colnago C60 ST01, 2017 Wilier Cento 10 Ramato, Cinelli Gazetta

3delis

by 3delis

+1 for last saddle if that's an AX leaf

Schmolke looks great

McFk stem ? Time black/white espresso pedals ?

Has Mcfk put out any wheel sets yet to use ?

jimaizumi

by jimaizumi

As much as I (as a user of THM equipt) love those cranks, the black versions are easier on the eyes and would be more fitting to this lovely build? I reckon a the white brakes would balance out the contrast but definitely not the cranks as it would lure attention away from the frame.

Lighti

by Lighti

wwwwwwooooooooooowwwwwww very nice

eric01

by eric01

mrlobber wrote:You almost mimic my intended build! :thumbup:

However, an interesting note - the Vial Evo D, which I have now (size M), weighs 840g with stock BB / hanger / headset bearings, which, adding up the weights you posted, kinda indicates my frame is at least 80g more heavy than 660-670g, and it does have slightly different graphics as well (older version?) although bought only 3 weeks ago from starbike.com (white underside of the chainstays and only AX logo on the downtube instead of the "Vial Evo"). I wonder why is it so :noidea:

i have a size small. Same graphics bought about 1.5 years ago. 740 grams out of the box with BB, hanger and headset and cable liners
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

i would certainly go with the ltd edition brakes and cranks. you can't find them anywhere and match the color scheme of the bike. tune saddle, and etap red would be my recommendation over mechanical

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

Stock shifters.

With carbon clamps

Stock rear.

With HSC Full ceramic carbon pulleys.
Attachments
ax21.jpg
ax23.jpg
ax24.jpg
ax25.jpg
ax27.jpg
ax28.jpg

jorisee01

by jorisee01

I can't seem to find the carbon shifter clamps. Could you point me to it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com