Litespeed Ghisallo 1x10 build (3.76kg or 8.29 lbs but not finished!!!!!!)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderator: Moderator Team

xena
Banned

by xena

Cut the fin off the kcnc pad holders and sand them down a bit . I got mine at under 4grms each. I did not remove the pad holder screw. I'm going to now, its not a issue, should hit 3grms
I also got some generic CNC alloy holders from ali express. I got them near the 3grm each mark.
I don't use the screw pad holder just make sure you don't brake in reverse :wink:
I am putting a quad on my trek exactly the same as you, same bb etc although I am using a 53 x 39.
Nice build.
Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

godzuki26

by godzuki26

Thanks Xena. I will try tuning the KCNC brake shoes as you suggest. The CarbonWorks shoes do not use a screw pad holder so I will not use them on the KCNC too. Instead I will dremel that area out. Did you hit 3 grams each with hardware included? That is awesome. I have lots of work to do :D

I don't like the blue color of the KCNC shoes so I will use White Lightning degreaser to remove the anodization. I will post final weight with hardware once I am finished.

Last edited by godzuki26 on Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
:arrow: BH Ultralight
:arrow: Litespeed Ghisallo
:arrow: Scott Addict Singlespeed

ImageCannondale Evo HiMod
ImageFelt AR FRD

by Weenie

xena
Banned

by xena

I think the bolts on my KCNC and ali express shoes are very light Titanium ones I picked up on ebay I think "long time ago" I'm not sure about using alloy one's doubt it would be safe. It only added a gram from what I can remember.
I did exactly what you are doing. I sanded all the paint off my AE pads and then sprayed them black just enough to cover them.
My trek is stripped down right now I am taking it over to Ed and he's going to fit a titanium BB shell then I will stick the VQ on. I'm going to tune the KCNC pads a bit more as they still have the screw in and cutting away that area should get them close to 2grms . Good job by the way.
If your going bonkers light on brake pads then use the corima absolutes.
Just as a side note ,I'm not sure if WW's know this but you can use them on alloy rims but they are useless in the rain with alloys.

godzuki26

by godzuki26

Although this tuning looks very crude, I am happy to save 3 grams over the CarbonWorks brake shoes when including all the hardware. Thanks Xena! Dude I am looking forward to seeing your rebuilt Trek. That thing was already awesome to begin with.

In the first photo, as suggested I dremeled out the pad holder screw area. I then continued sanding the entire body. I probably could have kept going but I got a little wimpy and left it where I felt the most comfortable. If anything, the hardware (bolts,washers) seem to weigh the most.

I also need to invest in a better scale that reads in hundredths. When doing tuning like this, I didn't realize how useless a scale like mine is.

Last edited by godzuki26 on Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:01 am, edited 3 times in total.

ImageFelt AR FRD

craciunptr

by craciunptr

Are you a dentist or something? Your dremel skill is too good!

godzuki26

by godzuki26

@craciunptr - LOL! Good one. Thanks for the compliment. I think my lines are very crooked when looking closely at the pics. I am going back now with a hand file to straighten them out. I am actually clumsy as heck with the Dremel. 2 times the brake shoe flew out of my hand and into my face because I had a poor grip. I am bleeding from my lower lip.

ImageFelt AR FRD

godzuki26

by godzuki26

For the brake calipers, I will use the Ax3000 (KCNC shoes, BTP PowerCordz clamps, Carbon leaf springs). The total weight is not bad at 103 grams. I have seen these in the 90 gram range but don't know how I can make mine much lighter. For comparison, the Orions (Ax aluminum shoes, Titanium standard cable clamps, aluminum leaf springs) came in much heavier at 123 grams.

Last edited by godzuki26 on Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

ImageFelt AR FRD

godzuki26

by godzuki26

I need to decide on some cables and housing. I have had nightmare setup issues with PowerCordz for shifting. I get so nervous with the whole one shot at clamping it correct thing and always end up screwing it up. When I do finally get it set up correctly, I have nothing but problems down the road as I find myself having to fine tune them frequently. I have not had a chance to use PowerCordz for brakes. So, I am thinking about going with the PowerCordz Swift system for the brakes and AiCan Bungarus with KCNC Titanium cable for shifting. Any thoughts or other suggestions?

ImageFelt AR FRD

xena
Banned

by xena

The lightest cable set up is what I have on my bikes. Get some old tune mtb housing http://www.ebay.de/itm/5x-Tune-Bowdenzu ... XQMmJRIenH

Pull the black outer casing off and use the white inner part. Each section weighs just 4 /5 grms maybe a bit less depending if you can cut it a bit shorter. it works fantastic with powercordz no issues what so ever.
Even though its white trust me when I say it stays clean. Once you see it you will understand.
I have been looking for something as light in black and have had loads of samples sent from plastic tubing companys etc but nothing has the stiffness of the tune housing which you need for your brakes to work really well.
I had a bit of issue with powercordz rear mech shifting so I use a generic Teflon cable from Taiwan but brakes and front mech no issues with powercordz. I am going to give powercordz another go on the rear mech when I put my trek back together.

kevosinn
in the industry

by kevosinn

Are the bolts on the first pad holders alloy? if so swap those with the ti bolts in the tuned holders and it will get you under that 100 gram mark for the pair.
Www.crypticcycles.com Custom carbon frames, bar/stem combos, repair and component tuning.

godzuki26

by godzuki26

@Xena - Thanks for the link. I will try the Tune housing for the brakes.

@Kevosinn - The bolts on the Ax Lightness shoes are aluminum. Swapping them over saved weight. They are a little longer than the Ti KCNC bolts. Saved 2 grams so thanks :thumbup:

Last edited by godzuki26 on Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

ImageFelt AR FRD

kevosinn
in the industry

by kevosinn

So close to being under 100 grams!
Www.crypticcycles.com Custom carbon frames, bar/stem combos, repair and component tuning.

Juanmoretime
Administrator

by Juanmoretime

Those barrel adjuster are kind of long and maybe a thinner lock nut could be found in alloy.
RESIDENT GRUMPY OLD MAN.

RyanH

by RyanH

Other than Xena'so suggestion for housing, mini iLink housing is going to be lighter than bungarus as well as work better,imo.

by Weenie

godzuki26

by godzuki26

@Ryan - I ran into some issues with the Bungarus on my BH Ultralight the other day. What sucks is you can't replace the inner liner on these. I noticed some cracks where the joints connect. I used to run mini's and never had problems so I will be switching back for this build.

I am finished now tinkering with the brake calipers. Like Juanmoretime suggested, I was able to save a few grams using different barrel adjusters. Also, the Ax Lightness aluminum bolts were too long so I had to use some shorter aluminum bolts. In the end, the final weight is sub 100 grams.

Last edited by godzuki26 on Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

ImageFelt AR FRD