Madone 9 Custom Build (More Photos)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

welkman

by welkman

Thanks for taking the time to write a review, I am currently trying to choose my next frame and am choosing between Cervelo R5 (I had the 2012 model), the madone or an S3/5. Need to get out and ride them but it sounds like the trek would hold its own in the mountains :)

da123

by da123

nickf wrote:Nice looking setup. No love for bonty wheels? What did the enve setup weigh in at? Nice to see one properly setup though. Non of the ones that have gone out the door have ever had a spacer removed. Ruins the aesthetics of the bike.

No particular objection to Bonty wheels, and I considered going for a 5/7 aeolus set up, but that would have been a bit heavier than the 4.5 ENVE set. The ENVEs are 1260 grams. Agreed on the aesthetics. My LBS has built up one other Madone, and that must have at least 50mm of spacers on a H2 fit. It wrecks the looks. It's obviously got to fit you as an individual, but I kinda think if you need the front end to be that high, a full on aero bike is possibly not the best choice anyway. To be honest, I think Trek just know their market - their H2 fit is pretty relaxed, and ideal for MAMILs like me, and they have the H1 for proper racers!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

da123

by da123

welkman wrote:Thanks for taking the time to write a review, I am currently trying to choose my next frame and am choosing between Cervelo R5 (I had the 2012 model), the madone or an S3/5. Need to get out and ride them but it sounds like the trek would hold its own in the mountains :)

I think it definitely would. I suspect when I go to Spain later this year I'll take the Madone but put my Lightweights on it. You do inevitably feel the extra rim weight with the ENVE rims once it gets really steep.

I did consider the S5, but I think Trek are just a bit further on in eliminating the compromises that come with an aero bike, and it just looks better IMO. I suspect the next gen of the S5 will probably be better again.