0-Carb (Javelin Amarone) No Carbon Fiber - 6.35kg (14lb)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

2lo8

by 2lo8

Down to 6565g*

-19g took off speed sensor
-36g took off computer (mount still on bike)
-12g replaced top cap and expander with dust cap
-11g removed spacers
-13g cut steerer
-19g new seatpost
[14lb(6.35kg) of no carbon fiber]
[2lo8.wordpress.com]
Your one-stop source for information and reviews on cheap eBay bike junk.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

2lo8

by 2lo8

The new seatpost cut down to 240mm. Not bad for $12, but I'm not really a fan of this style of clamp. At least this one doesn't have those round yokes that tend to get all twisted. The cradle has very little support area and is pretty thin. The cross pin is angled and has a flange, which is good. It could be tuned with titanium bolts to save another 8g.
[2lo8.wordpress.com]

ToffieBoi

by ToffieBoi

Will you go back to the original fork once you finished the build?

2lo8

by 2lo8

I was originally planning on that before I started, but I think I derive more pleasure from having the UCI-illegal non-carbon bike rather than just a 14lb aluminum bike with a lighter more comfortable fork.
[2lo8.wordpress.com]

tmr5555

by tmr5555

Quick update on the rockbros saddle.
It arrived fairly quickly. coming off an Arione the concave shape prevents the rider sliding around.
The saddle is flexy, but IMO not intolerable.
Considering re-upholstering with alcantara or suede (Wonder if it would make it heavier).
Pic of saddle: http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=23410&p=1241656#p1241656

2lo8

by 2lo8

J&L ceramic bearing jockey wheels, saving 12g. That brings the weight of the RD down to 167g. That brings it down to about the same weight as Shimano Dura-Ace 9000 (160g) and Campagnolo Super Record (166g), and that's without bolt tuning.

The bearings are actual ungreased full ceramic and they spin and spin, although they don't seem like the most precise bearings. They were actually cheaper than trying to find ceramic bearings. The plastic is light weight and quiet, unlike alloy jockeys. They have no centeron capability, but I'm not even sure if 11 speed Shimano uses that anymore. I bought them because they finally revised the tooth profile to have chamfered teeth so they can take up chain links without them climbing up on the teeth. The did require the bearing to be removed and reglued flat because they were not glued in straight, but that seems like a relatively minor inconvinience when compared to the cost of other ceramic bearing jockeys.
Attachments
j l ceramic.jpg
[2lo8.wordpress.com]

DamonRinard
in the industry

by DamonRinard

Nice write up, thanks! I just replaced a tension pulley on our tandem because I found one tooth had broken off. I'll keep these J&L pulleys in mind next time.

Two questions:
1. Did you grease them? Any recommendations for grease?
2. Could you measure the width? And do you know if they're the same width as modern pulleys from Shimano, etc?

Sorry, I guess that's four questions.
Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager, Road Bikes
Cycling Sports Group, Cannondale
Ex-Kestrel, ex-Velomax, ex-Trek, ex-Cervelo

2lo8

by 2lo8

Running them completely dry, no grease.

Tooth width or width across the spacers? As far as whether or not they work fine, they don't seem be be giving me any trouble with a SRAM 11 speed chain, but they do lack the long teeth of Shimano 11 jockeys. No problems with screw length either.
[2lo8.wordpress.com]

DamonRinard
in the industry

by DamonRinard

No grease? Theoretically not necessary with ceramic, but I'll be interested how they last for you.

Across the spacers please.
I'm interested in whether they'll change cage spacing or not.
Judging from performance and screw length they sound close, which may be good enough.

Thanks!
Damon Rinard

2lo8

by 2lo8

The stock SRAM were 7.3mm thick. The J&L were 8.0mm thick, so a bit of a difference. Not too worried about ruining the bearings considering the cost.

The Shimano 5800 pulleys were 20g off the top of my head because the bushings are lighter than the bearings SRAM uses.
[2lo8.wordpress.com]

DamonRinard
in the industry

by DamonRinard

Thanks for measuring, 2lo8. Good to know. The width difference is small - may be tolerable for shifting if other aspects are in good order. I guess you'll know. :-)

Yes, makes sense to risk the bearings since the cost was so little! ;-) Nice experiment, will be interesting to learn if anything happens.

Pulleys with bearings are one of the first upgrades I look for. Saves measurable power.
Damon Rinard

chefczyk

by chefczyk

wow impressive you got that down to 6.6kg

F45

by F45

Why take off the xr200s in favor of xr270? I love my xr200 wheelset.

2lo8

by 2lo8

The XR-200s are still on there, but the fact that they're 24h with CX-ray equivalents and the tension balance isn't very good does not make for a confidence inspiring rear wheel. Part of the problem is the rim may not have been an especially straight one to start off with.
[2lo8.wordpress.com]

2lo8

by 2lo8

$p**dplays with titanium spindles. I ordered some titanium bowties, but they were unusable garbage. $p**dplays are way out of my price range normally, but I was curious to study them since they operate differently from most pedals. They cost $$$.

These are really just a placeholder, since the SPD pedals are slightly embarrassing on a road bike and SPD shoes were quite heavy. These let me use my (carbon fiber) road shoes and don't add weight.

I came up with a new design for some ultralight clipless pedals, but I currently have no access to a real machine shop or FEA or anything fancy. If I ever get a 3D printer, I'll start prototyping the mechanism and refine the design, and hopefully by then, I'll have access to a shop.
Attachments
speedplays.jpg
[2lo8.wordpress.com]

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com