0-Carb (Javelin Amarone) No Carbon Fiber - 6.35kg (14lb)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

2lo8

by 2lo8

tmr5555 wrote:not much info on the rockbros saddle on teh interwebs!

Pretty sure it's only my blog and eBay. You can find it by selecting the "Include description" option on eBay and searching for 'rockbros 185g saddle'
It looks really similar to one of the Purefix saddles on amazon for $18 though. No guarantees if it's actually the same.

craciunptr wrote:Will you cut the steerer shorter? that should save another dead 20 grams?

24g to be precise. 11g from spacers, 13g from steerer. Can't do it until I commit to a stem though. The goal was mostly to clear the UCI limit by enough margin to show that it didn't just barely get under it though.
[14lb(6.35kg) of no carbon fiber]
[2lo8.wordpress.com]
Your one-stop source for information and reviews on cheap eBay bike junk.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tmr5555

by tmr5555

Just ordered one of those saddles. 55 grams weight reduction over a fizik arione is not to be sneezed at, unless its totally crap.

Fiery

by Fiery

It's an old-style Aspide. Identical shape, slightly less refined padding, but functionally the same. The only question is whether the shape will work for you.

2lo8

by 2lo8

Except without the carbon reinforced plastic like the original Aspides. Some might find shell flex disagreeable.

Also featured on bikerumor

http://www.bikerumor.com/2016/05/31/rea ... bon-fiber/

With all the expected snarky comments.
[2lo8.wordpress.com]

2lo8

by 2lo8

To do list:

Order new stem and wait for it to arrive
Cut steerer (after getting stem)
Get sp**dplays or something road
Put XR-270 wheelset on
Reweigh without computer because it really should be weighed that way
Somehow obtain eeBrakes through some sort of nefarious illegal activity
Build up a frame with S3/Plat OX and a fork with the light steerer so I can have the lightest steel road bike that's not one of those steel bikes with more carbon than an entry level carbon bike.
[2lo8.wordpress.com]

tmr5555

by tmr5555

Any affordable segmented housing you know of? Like hidden in the depths of the internet somewhere?

2lo8

by 2lo8

There's some really ugly gold ones sold by "NINGBO PANDA BICYCLE INDUSTRY" on Aliexpress if you search "bamboo nemas" but I don't really like recommending Aliexpress to people, and I have no idea what the quality is like. I have other things to waste $15 on and review. The people who bought it seem to be happy.
[2lo8.wordpress.com]

tmr5555

by tmr5555

Aliexpress is hit an miss like kinder eggs!

Fiery

by Fiery

2lo8 wrote:Except without the carbon reinforced plastic like the original Aspides. Some might find shell flex disagreeable.

I find that it flexes just a bit more than a Racing Team version (like this one). It is definitely more flexible than an old USPS Racing Replica (like this), but those were still produced in Italy and it shows with better workmanship, better materials and a slightly different shape than the later ones made in Asia.

At the moment I would say that the Racing Team is more similar in flex to the Rockbros than it is to the old Racing Replica, but it's possible the Rockbros will get more flexible as it breaks in.

2lo8

by 2lo8

New stem, saved a whole (actually not whole, probably 1 and a rounding error) 2 grams. More importantly I got rid of the subpar Hylix, although I kept the bolts. I have a rebranded 110mm UNO ASA-025 coming in soon as well to see if I prefer that.

Also have a new seatpost coming in next week that should save 20-30g. When I reweigh it without the computer and the speed sensor that should bring it under 6.6kg.
[2lo8.wordpress.com]

raisinberry777

by raisinberry777

What's the new seat post? Still aluminium?

2lo8

by 2lo8

Still aluminum. It's another GUB.
[2lo8.wordpress.com]

DamonRinard
in the industry

by DamonRinard

2lo8 wrote:Image

Nice! Just today I received this exact stem. I haven't yet decided whether I'll install it. But I do know I'll leave the stock steel bolts in it.
Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager, Road Bikes
Cycling Sports Group, Cannondale
Ex-Kestrel, ex-Velomax, ex-Trek, ex-Cervelo

2lo8

by 2lo8

It's a lot nicer than the Hylix I was using before. I don't know why I bought two (I actually do know, it was the ti bolts). I think the older ones marked 7 might actually be a couple grams lighter on average because of less worn out forging dies but blue matched blue, cursed vanity.

And for the heck of it, I measured the air in my tires and wrote it up. https://2lo8.wordpress.com/2016/06/24/j ... -than-air/

I run about 12-13 bar combined front and rear, depending on how I feel, so about 12-13g worth of air.

Last edited by 2lo8 on Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
[2lo8.wordpress.com]

2lo8

by 2lo8

Seatpost came today, but it was damaged in shipping. I don't think it was a problem on the part of GUB except that GUB's packaging is a plastic bag instead of a box. I'll see what I can do. 188g at 350mm, a quick estimate puts it at 146g cut down to 240mm, with an estimated 3.8g/cm cut off compared to the 4.1g/cm of the current GUB. I was a little over optimistic in my prediction.
[2lo8.wordpress.com]

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com