2015 Giant Propel Advanced
2015 Cannondale Supersix Evo
2013 KTM Strada mod. (totaled)
2011 Pinarello Dogma 60.1(loaner)
2011 Scott SUB 45(sold)

Politecnico di Milano Ingegneria Meccanica

efeballi

by efeballi

Moved to Italy and took the Propel with me. I also switched to Reynolds pads as I moved. I'm chewing through brake pads and I find blue/gray dust everywhere around the brakes after rides. I do brake more here than in Istanbul, but seems like I'll be spending an arm and a leg on brake pads.

Sent from my Ultegra STI lever using gear cables
SHUT UP LEGS
2011 Scott SUB 45(sold)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

efeballi

by efeballi

After a semester of sh1ts and giggles with the Propel, I took it back to Turkey and took the KTM to Italy. The KTM serves me better in the conditions of Milan and it's cheaper to run. I work as a bike courier and I'm much less sad about the #2 being bashed around and scratched, rather than having the Propel do so. This turned out to be a good decision as I broke the fork of the #2.
As yet I've been unable to find a replacement for the #2. However, I bought a full carbon fork for the Propel for quite cheap, so I'm having the current fork shipped to me as a temporary replacement for the #2's fork.
In the meantime I also scored a set of Syncros RR1.0 integrated handlebars online. I'll mount the fork and the handlebars to the Propel when I go to Turkey.
SHUT UP LEGS
2011 Scott SUB 45(sold)

poursuivant

by poursuivant

I really like your build. It looks really classy!

I have a 2015 Propel Advanced too, it’s a fantastic bike overall, though I find it very frustrating that Giant chose to alter the headset bearing sizes on the Propel Advanced fork, essentially limiting the upgrade path as we are stuck with quite a heavy fork, it would have been much nicer if they’d kept the OD2 standard but with an aluminium steerer for the Advanced models.

I find the braking quite good on aluminium wheels, haven’t tried on carbon yet. I’m very happy with the way the bike climbs too surprisingly, though it’s no lightweight with my training wheels and XL frame.

I am very particular about my bikes and hate the cable routing for mechanical group sets on the Propel. I’d really like to put Di2 on it but Ultegra 6870 components aren’t quite inexpensive enough for me to pull the trigger on it yet. They look much neater with Di2, so it’s the ideal solution.

If you ever do upgrade the Propel-specific Di2 grommet is available here:

http://www.giantbikespares.com/Giant-Pr ... il/3-42883

I am hoping to upgrade to some carbon clinchers later in the year once I finish my other build.
9169EAC6-6217-4A39-B70E-EA2806492387.jpeg

efeballi

by efeballi

poursuivant wrote:I really like your build. It looks really classy!

I have a 2015 Propel Advanced too, it’s a fantastic bike overall, though I find it very frustrating that Giant chose to alter the headset bearing sizes on the Propel Advanced fork, essentially limiting the upgrade path as we are stuck with quite a heavy fork, it would have been much nicer if they’d kept the OD2 standard but with an aluminium steerer for the Advanced models.

I find the braking quite good on aluminium wheels, haven’t tried on carbon yet. I’m very happy with the way the bike climbs too surprisingly, though it’s no lightweight with my training wheels and XL frame.

I am very particular about my bikes and hate the cable routing for mechanical group sets on the Propel. I’d really like to put Di2 on it but Ultegra 6870 components aren’t quite inexpensive enough for me to pull the trigger on it yet. They look much neater with Di2, so it’s the ideal solution.

If you ever do upgrade the Propel-specific Di2 grommet is available here:

http://www.giantbikespares.com/Giant-Pr ... il/3-42883

I am hoping to upgrade to some carbon clinchers later in the year once I finish my other build.
9169EAC6-6217-4A39-B70E-EA2806492387.jpeg
Cheers :)

Your bike would be an absolute stunner with deep wheels.

For me headset bearing sizes are the smallest problem. I opened a thread about this, seems like I only have to change the upper bearing. I'm currently on the hunt for one of those.

Especially with the integrated cockpit I'll mount, having electronic shifting would clean the cockpit very nicely but not much to do about it now. I'll work my magic to clean the front end when I mount the integrated handlebars.
SHUT UP LEGS
2011 Scott SUB 45(sold)

poursuivant

by poursuivant

Thanks!

I want some Reynolds carbon clinchers for it.

efeballi

by efeballi

Finally mounted the integrated handlebars and the new fork. The old (aluminum steerer) fork has been flogged off eBay.

Also, mounted Schwalbe One's for a change. Updated the build list on the first post to reflect all the changes.

Pics:

SHUT UP LEGS
2011 Scott SUB 45(sold)

poursuivant

by poursuivant

Your bike looks fantastic with the integrated bars! Just stunning mate.

I just sold my red Propel, and bought a 2014 Propel Advanced 2 with Ultegra 6800 and the P-SLR wheelset for a ridiculous price as it was dirty and a bit neglected.

I’ve begun stripping it and meticulously cleaning and rebuilding it. I hope it will be as nice as yours!

I was literally about to buy some Schwalbe ones for it - how do you like them?
E8DC39E4-5C0D-45A0-8ACA-690872BB1EEE.jpeg

efeballi

by efeballi

Thanks a lot! Considering all the Propel builds I see on this forum (and others), I don't think I'm setting the bar very high :) there are much better Propels out there.
I did like the Schwalbe One's, they roll quite well. Though they don't inspire as much confidence as the outgoing GP4K's, despite those being 2 years and ~6000 km old.

On a side note, what do you guys think about the FF sticker on the seatpost?
SHUT UP LEGS
2011 Scott SUB 45(sold)

poursuivant

by poursuivant

It looks okay but what’s the significance?

efeballi

by efeballi

I've always tried to make my bikes look like aircraft. FF has been the tail code of a famous fighter squadron (well, fighter wing actually) in the USA.

photo creds USAF TSgt Ben Bloker

This has been my inspiration. My bike in Milan, the Supersix, has MI on the seatpost with the same font, MI being the city code for Milan.
SHUT UP LEGS
2011 Scott SUB 45(sold)

poursuivant

by poursuivant

👍

amngwlvs

by amngwlvs

efeballi wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:28 am
Finally mounted the integrated handlebars and the new fork. The old (aluminum steerer) fork has been flogged off eBay.

Pics:
Damn, this is making me want to dust off my Propel like this and start riding it again. New fork clearly says Propel but what bike is it from that it had a carbon steerer at the correct size? Where'd you get it? What bar/stem combo is this?

Thanks!
2018 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc
2015 Giant Propel Advanced 2
2013 Trek 520

efeballi

by efeballi

Hi,
Thanks for the compliments. I’m really in love with this whip, so i’d say dust off your Propel and start flying.

I found the fork on eBay. The seller said it’s from a Propel size L. Checked the geometry charts to see the fork dimensions are the same between L and ML (my frame). The steerer was just a bit too long to run the stem slammed, I think I cut ~15 mm off of it. AFAIK the seller also mentioned the steerer tube length so I compared it to my head tube length and all.

Check the build list on the first post, the integrated handlebars are Syncros RR1.0 420/100 mm.
Cheers,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SHUT UP LEGS
2011 Scott SUB 45(sold)

amngwlvs

by amngwlvs

efeballi wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:22 am
Hi,
Thanks for the compliments. I’m really in love with this whip, so i’d say dust off your Propel and start flying.

I found the fork on eBay. The seller said it’s from a Propel size L. Checked the geometry charts to see the fork dimensions are the same between L and ML (my frame). The steerer was just a bit too long to run the stem slammed, I think I cut ~15 mm off of it. AFAIK the seller also mentioned the steerer tube length so I compared it to my head tube length and all.

Check the build list on the first post, the integrated handlebars are Syncros RR1.0 420/100 mm.
Cheers,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the reply! I still miss the Propel sometimes but going back from a TCR with discs, Di2 and carbon wheels is tough when the Propel has 105 and stock wheels.

Ah, I didn't realize you could run a fork with an OD2 steerer on that frame but now that I actually think about it, the frame itself would be the same as the Advanced Pro models. Was it just a matter of changing the headset to fit the larger diameter?

Thanks, missed that on the build list - definitely looks great on that bike!
2018 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc
2015 Giant Propel Advanced 2
2013 Trek 520

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com