Cryptic cycles

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

kevosinn
in the industry

by kevosinn

Figured I would start a thread on what I've been working on.

All frames start with a cad drawing done with bike cad pro. It allows you to see exactly the proportions of the bike before it is built.

ImageIMG_0166 by kevosinn, on Flickr

Next it's decided on the ride quality, stiffness, style or riding, weight goals etc. and tubes are then created. A mix of several different carbon pre preg materials are used.

I'll post some completed pics and more of the process in the next few days.
Last edited by kevosinn on Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:47 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Www.crypticcycles.com Custom carbon frames, bar/stem combos, repair and component tuning.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

danbjpa

by danbjpa

Nice to see one more WW member framebuilder! more light development to us. Congrats and sucess!
The fork will chosen based on geometry/ride/style of customer or will a fixed model/geo?

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

FastDad

by FastDad

Nice to see a special thread dedicated to your frame builds.
I like the mix of different textures...unfortunately I will never be able to purchase a frame from you

Please post as much as possible pictures from the progress and processing

kevosinn
in the industry

by kevosinn

Thanks for the kind words guys. I use enve for most forks but I can build a frame to work around any fork. I'm going to offer 3 standard layups and then an option for fully custom layups as well as geometry.
Www.crypticcycles.com Custom carbon frames, bar/stem combos, repair and component tuning.

mythical

by mythical

I'm liking this thread already! Just keep them pix coming, Kevin! :popcorn:

What BB shell ‘standard’ are you gonna use for your first frame?
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

kevosinn
in the industry

by kevosinn

The first frame is getting bb86 but I just made all my own tooling to be able to do bb86, English 68mm and pf 30 and bb386.

kevosinn
in the industry

by kevosinn

Machining new fixtures for BB shells on the lathe.

Last edited by kevosinn on Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Clannagh

by Clannagh

Great thread, I love all this stuff. I modded my own English threaded BB to a PF30. Did you know there's actually an off the shelf carbon tube available with correct internal diameter to accept PF30. Just a thought to save on some tooling :thumbup:

xena
Banned

by xena

Brilliant thread and Kevin is giving us a real insight into custom frame building. :thumbup:
Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

kevosinn
in the industry

by kevosinn

Thanks! Yes I have found a few places that I could buy pre made tubes from but I own a lathe and mill so making molds and tooling is not too bad! It allows full optimization of all the parts on the bike

nicrump

by nicrump

Clannagh wrote:Great thread, I love all this stuff. I modded my own English threaded BB to a PF30. Did you know there's actually an off the shelf carbon tube available with correct internal diameter to accept PF30. Just a thought to save on some tooling :thumbup:

more importantly the CTE of an aluminum mandrel will make specifying the mandrel OD to produce an exact 45.97mm ID carbon tube very challenging. Its not just the size, thickness/mass of the tube but also temp, dwell of the cook and to further complicate, what kind of and how much carbon in what orientations followed by compaction method. my solid stainless PF30 mandrel went back to a professional grinder 3 times before getting it to a less than 25% reject rate on BBs shell ID. that was after thorough calculations.

you'll get there.

kevosinn
in the industry

by kevosinn

nicrump wrote:
Clannagh wrote:Great thread, I love all this stuff. I modded my own English threaded BB to a PF30. Did you know there's actually an off the shelf carbon tube available with correct internal diameter to accept PF30. Just a thought to save on some tooling :thumbup:

more importantly the CTE of an aluminum mandrel will make specifying the mandrel OD to produce an exact 45.97mm ID carbon tube very challenging. Its not just the size, thickness/mass of the tube but also temp, dwell of the cook and to further complicate, what kind of and how much carbon in what orientations followed by compaction method. my solid stainless PF30 mandrel went back to a professional grinder 3 times before getting it to a less than 25% reject rate on BBs shell ID. that was after thorough calculations.

you'll get there.

Hey thanks for popping in! I sent you an email back last week did you get it?

And yes it's taken me several test runs with multiple materials to get something I'm happy with. I knew thermal expansion would be an issue so I slowly brought the mandrel down to a size that worked well. Stainless is working the best as you said. And I've tested several different layups after I had one that worked size wise. Talk soon hopefully!
Last edited by kevosinn on Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nobuseri

by nobuseri

Nice work; subscribing to this thread. :thumbup:
Cicli Barco XCr Road
Moots VaMoots
Parlee Z1
SuperX Hi-Mod Disc

jooo

by jooo

Clannagh wrote:Did you know there's actually an off the shelf carbon tube available with correct internal diameter to accept PF30

[s]From which supplier?[/s]

edit: didn't have the thinking cap on, there's actually a bunch of places that sell 46mm ID tube that should work for PF30 BB's.

I have actually been looking for a webshop selling 44mm ID tube in small amounts... A quick search only seems to find cheap Chinese tubes from eBay/alibaba as far as I can see?
Last edited by jooo on Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

nlouthan

by nlouthan

That's so cool to see. How do you actually build the tubes?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com