Ryan's Vulgar Colnago C59 - 5,708g (Final Pics Up, pg 4)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

PSM

by PSM

LionelB wrote:That's a beauty even though I can't get used to these WW straight seatpost.

But this is W E I G H W E E N I E S. 8)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Devon

by Devon

Surely the post is more for fit?

RyanH

by RyanH

Just for reference, here's an overlay of my fit between the C59 and my LS:

The Litespeed "looks" more normal though, no?:

I've been professionally fitted by a respected fitter in LA, I'm just not a flexible guy. Stack wasn't supposed to change between the two frames, but the Colnago provided stack was slightly more than real measurements, so bar position is about, what, a cm higher? Not something that I really noticed though.

I think it looks different than the LS because the seat tube is 2cm longer (less post showing) and HT is about 2cm higher. The -17 compensates mostly for that but it looks like a lot less drop than the Litespeed even though they are close. The straight post and saddle pretty far forward is a result of running cleats slammed back and possibly small femurs, I dunno. I was originally looking for a frame with a 74 STA and 36.Xcm of reach instead of the 37.7 provided by the Litespeed and 38.3 by the Colnago (FWIW, size 48S through 54S had the same reach, just different stacks).

Regardless, my only real criticism leveled at the C59 was less comfort than the Parlee, which my lack of saddle to bar drop isn't going to change.

Wingnut

by Wingnut

Think I like the Litespeed more...

PSM

by PSM

Thank's.

But there are more cofortable saddles on the market. ☺

kevosinn
in the industry

by kevosinn

Love this thing....and the litespeed. I would love to see them in person someday. We should meet up and ride someday.
Www.crypticcycles.com Custom carbon frames, bar/stem combos, repair and component tuning.

PSM

by PSM

When looking on my PC I can clearly see that the LiteSpeed looks one size smaller than the C59. But maybe it's only me...?

xena
Banned

by xena

PSM wrote:Thank's.

But there are more cofortable saddles on the market. ☺

I have a custom saddle made of ploytianuyxathium It weighs 35grms and is so comfortable, it adapts to your shape while you ride. It cost me $3000.
I had my dads ashes inserted into the special ploytian layers, so it means a lot to me emotionally . My dad is always with me .
Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

PSM

by PSM

:lol: Actually I cannot say if you are serious here. This is Weight Weenies after all...

RyanH

by RyanH

@psm, yeah the frame is one size larger but saddle to bar is the same and drop is pretty close (saddle is slightly higher on the Colnago - - the LS pic was pre-fit where we increased the saddle height by a little less than 1cm), which takes up some of the increase in height on the bar difference).

@Kcookie, sorry! I'll get my impressions up tonight. Tldr is that the saddle is fantastic, more comfortable than the Antares 00 and Specialized saddles. My only niggle is that it's not as comfortable to ride on the nose as the flat broad nose of the mcfk saddles. It feels like there is more pressure on the sides of the nose than distributed among the entire surface.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

ronderman

by ronderman

I have the same frame and just got it as NOS and built it up a few weeks ago. Same color, but with EPS and heavier wheels and a larger size.

I also have a ti bike.

I've ridden a bunch of bikes and carbon bikes and agree that the ride quality can be a bit off putting. An R3, in my view, rode a lot like a Cannondale CAAD 9, but cost a bunch more. I haven't ridden a Parlee but have heard only good things. The C59 frame rides so dang nice. It's just a joy and I suspect is going to be view in historic terms as one of the best.

One note - Enesto is a bit tricky on his geo. My first colnago I order, an EPS, I ordered it with a TT of 59cm which was a 58s. 59TT being my ideal TT size as per a bike fitter. 59TT is what I take in other bikes. The 58s was too big. I sold it and went to a 56s C59 with a 58TT. It fit great. I've only seen it said a few times, but, by and large - Enesto's bikes should be ordered one CM smaller on the TT. I suspect if you went down a size the bike might look like it fit better and there would be no change in handling.

Either way - fantastic bike - I know the C59 and Ti bike feeling.

RyanH

by RyanH

Berk Padded Saddle Review

I apologize for the delay in posting this.

Measurements:
Width: Saddle came in at 138mm wide when lightly putting the calipers to the sides, a moderate squeeze gave a width measurement of 136mm.
Weight: Actual weight was 94g (claimed <89g)

Recently Used Saddles
Fizik Antares 00 (142mm width)
Specialized Power Saddle Pro (143mm width)
Specialized Toupe S-Works (143 width)
Mcfk Carbon Saddle (130mm width)
Tune Komm-Vor + (128mm width?)

Overview of testing week
I wanted to wait until the end of November to post my thoughts on the saddle so that I could get a big ride in as well as a heavy week. I ended up riding a little less than planned, but it was still a 350 mile week with a 113 mile solo ride on Wednesday (5:54 moving time).

Impressions
Leather work is well executed. Underside of the saddle is more on the raw, uncoated end of the spectrum. Regardless, it looks well done. Rails slotted into my seatpost's grooves perfectly (Tune and Fizik were on the little too wide side).

Among the saddles I've recently tried, this is hands down the most comfortable that I've used. The Tune Komm-Vor + is a close second but due to its shape and width, my right sitbone is slightly off the saddle which causes rocking. Berk's saddle has a lot of flex in it, as well as a decent amount of padding. I found this a lot better than Fizik's Wing Flex and the Specialized saddles. The Mcfk saddle was the least comfortable due to the stiffness of the shell – 80 mile rides would leave my sit bones aching.

My one gripe about the saddle, and it's not specific to the Berk design, but all that have a cutout is that depending on my position (riding aggressively forward), there is more pressure on the sides of my groin, and this is noticeable. Riding along on the hoods you don't notice it since most of your weight is on your sitbones in the back. The Mcfk dealt with this really well since it had a nice flat, broad nose.

Not sure what else to say about the saddle. If the shape suits you, it's definitely a WW dream come true saddle. Much cheaper than the Selle Tekno flow, lighter and most likely a lot more flex in the saddle giving ample comfort. I would categorize this as a no compromise saddle, something that non-weight weenies could appreciate as well, as long as they're under the 85kg limit.

Installation notes
When I installed it, I thought I put a decent amount of carbon paste on the proper interfaces as I normally would with a carbon railed saddle. About a week or so into having it, I was experiencing a high pitch click while pedaling. I contacted Berk who suggested carbon paste and checking to see if the saddle rails creaked while not mounted. Checked non-mounted, no creak. Went back, carefully cleaned the post areas and liberally coated with paste again, I also torqued it down a little more than last time. 400 miles later, no creaking.
Last edited by RyanH on Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

RyanH

by RyanH

Berk Padded Saddle review on the previous page.

Well, curiosity got the best of me as I was pondering whether or not I look funny on the bike. So, after my ride today I snapped a few pics (my right hand is on the phone for the remote shutter). I had to rush since I was headed out for a trip.

On the hoods (I think I sat a little further back than normal since my knee should be over the spindle -- it's always a pain to do these without a trainer):

In the drops:

Saddle height check

Drops with straight arms and leg fully up:

ImageDSC01899

Drops in a more aggressive position. This is about as low as I can go before my thigh hits my chest too much and impedes my range of motion:

ImageDSC01898

Aggressive aero position on the hoods, again, any lower and I can't fully bring up my leg:

ImageDSC01897

So, what's everyone's opinion? Bike still too big?

My take is that I can ride with my forearms parallel to the ground without impeding range of motion and I'm comfortable getting into the drops with room to bend my elbows for a more aggressive aero position if I want. Anything lower than that and I begin impeding range of motion. Maybe I'm just not built for more than 6cm of drop.

PSM

by PSM

Definately not too small. I even think you could get a setback post and raise the saddle a bit. Honestly.

Nice ouftfit too. :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KCookie

by KCookie

Excellent review, thanks RyanH, I have two of Berks carbon saddles and I total agree with you about the cut out and groin pain, other than that it really is a comfortable saddle, well made and light. Still might get a padded one though.