Cielo Cross Racer - 8.38kg

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

CaptainP

by CaptainP

That's really cool! But there's something with the -17 stem / bar angle / lever placement that's just not right - or is it the camera angle? Looks like the bars could rotate down and the levers up?

Multebear

by Multebear

Agree. I'd say it's mostly the stem, that looks a little out of place on a cx bike. I'd choose something around 6 degrees. You'd probably want a bit more weight distribution towards the back, to have better balance in the mud....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Yeah, I mis-ordered and go the -17 stem which I will swap out for the -6. I also have the saddle height set for road, so it will drop a little bit for cross.

Mattr: I will probably run a bit of a knobbier 33c tire for races, the 35c Clements are more "adventure" type ride where I may hit some single track, etc.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Update

Got some new wheels.....HED Belgium + laced to CK Mango R45 hubs w/ Sapim spokes.

ImageIMG_0434 by btompkins0112, on Flickr

arizonahalfnhalf

by arizonahalfnhalf

Sweeeeet! Looks great man!

*needs more gumwall though :wink:

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Thanks!

I need to pick up some gumwall cross tires....these are my mixed terrain tires, and the Strade Biancas are my road only tires, obviously.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Try the Chalenge alamanzo's they are skinwall, have a file thread and a small side knob. could be best of both worlds. Great bike, where did you find the frame?
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

Verdickeme

by Verdickeme

I got the opposite combination:
Front: cantilever
Rear: mini V brake
I like to have more brakepower on the rear

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Frankie - B wrote:Try the Chalenge alamanzo's they are skinwall, have a file thread and a small side knob. could be best of both worlds. Great bike, where did you find the frame?

Cheers, Frankie! I will have a look at those once I wear the SBs out!

I found the frame on eBay. It was listed by an ex CK team rider from Portland, OR. The frame appear basically brand new, with very little evidence of use.

Verdickeme wrote:I got the opposite combination:
Front: cantilever
Rear: mini V brake
I like to have more brakepower on the rear

My reasoning was purely based on the fact that there is a cable stop on the rear that I didn't want hanging out....if it weren't there I would have went with the mini-moto on the rear as well.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

1x conversion....40 tooth Wolf Components ring and 11/32 cassette.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Base miles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

8.6 kg w/o the bag and pump, btw. Not sure where to lose weight, but it rides so nice I'm really not bothered too much!

Multebear

by Multebear

Looks good, and has even some potential still.

If you want to loose weight, there's definitely some to loose on the wheels. HEDs are 469 grams, Pacenti SL23 V2 are 418 grams. You could loose around 50 grams on hubs, and maybe 50 more by lowering spoke count to 24/28 which won't be a problem unless you're a clyde. Groupset could save you 50-100 grams if upgrading to ultegra, end even more to Dura Ace. Stem and seat post as well. Sorry to say, but actually every bit attached to the frame could be changed to something lighter.

But why bother? If you like it like that, no need to throw huge amounts of cash at it. And it's a cross bike. Parts will get worn, and you could just replace heavy worn parts with new lighter parts over time. But unless you race at a higher level, it won't make a difference. Just ride the hell out of it and enjoy it. That frame is something you don't see everyday.

One thing I would change though, are brakes. Just buy some Avid Shorty Ultimates and be done with it. You will appreciate it in the long run. Wout and several other pros ride them.

And maybe invest in some tubulars...
Last edited by Multebear on Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

^ that was exactly my thought....I went more with an overall cohesion of the parts that necessarily the weight. Love the look of all Thomson kit vs. a mish-mash of light gear. The wheels are absolutely sublime with the King hubs and the wide rims. I do not race except for the odd cross race, so no worries there.

I have to disagree on the brakes....love Paul's, can't find a flaw in them from a functionality and appearance standpoint.

Multebear

by Multebear

True, no need to change it. Keep it like it is.

Which one is a Paul brake? There's a canti rear and V brake front?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com