My Dream Evo Hi-Mod - Update 9-14-2018

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Asteroid

by Asteroid

asiantrick wrote:
Bianchi10 wrote:I guess everyone has their own opinion. Just because I'm not rocking a 120mm stem doesn't mean the bike doesn't fit me. I'm not saying that defensively at all, I hear what you're saying, but I've ridden a 52 and I didn't like it.

Hey Nick,
Nice ride. I've been trying to get back to the EVO, just waiting to find a good deal on Ebay to pull the trigger.

what is your stem length? BTW, ride what's best for you and not what other thinks. Everyone is difference. I'm 5'8 and I used to ride a 52cm on EVO. I tried the 50 and even running 120mm length with 25mm setback seatpost, felt like a kid bike. Long torso and short leg.

Close to my proportions, as well. The other day, a fellow rider thought my '15 EVO frame looked too large for me. I explained that, yeah, my short legs reduce the amount of seatpost showing. But the 120 stem does the trick for me. And a test on a 50 felt beyond awkward.
Oldbie

DOUG

by DOUG

Very nice bike @Bianchi10. One of my fav EVO's on here, hopefully my soon to be built EVO comes out as clean and neat as yours!

I run a 100mm stem on my 56cm CAAD10 so I don't see what the issue is with a 90mm stem. For me it comes down to fit and not everyone's fit is the same (obviously!).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

DOUG wrote:I run a 100mm stem on my 56cm CAAD10 so I don't see what the issue is with a 90mm stem. For me it comes down to fit and not everyone's fit is the same (obviously!).

Whilst this is true, a bike of this size would probably have been designed around 110mm stem and an 80-90mm reach bar. On that basis, a 90mm stem and a 75mm reach bar is throwing the overall reach out by at least 25mm - which is significant for a road bike.

52cm with 20mm spacer, 100-110mm stem and 80-90mm reach bar would be better visually, and would probably handle better too.

FWIW, I would think a 52 is designed around a 100mm stem.

NOTE: I am not submitting an 'internet fit' here as I can't abide them - I am merely offering my take on the situation I see. It's a great looking bike, regardless.

tonytourist

by tonytourist

I don't see how you're 5'10 and running a 71cm saddle height. I am the same height (though I like to claim I am 5'11") and have a saddle height of 75cm, running a 130mm stem on a 54cm bike. I use an Enve compact bar, however, my Shimano shifters have a longer reach than your RED shifters do, thus, increasing my reach even more.

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

We're not all the same. There are innumerate variables at play here.

tonytourist

by tonytourist

Tell me something I didn't know! :smartass: We'll talk about your setup later :beerchug:

Bianchi10

by Bianchi10

Lol.ok I don't know what to tell you here man. I know that nobody here is ragging on the bike at all, but it is what it is. I've had a fitting before, I've been riding for many years and this is what's comfortable. Longer reach and I don't care for it. I've ridden a smaller 52 frame a couple times and I didn't care for that. There are a fair amount of variables that would cause different set ups for 2 people that are of similar heights. That being said I'm not exactly 5'10, but in between 5'9 and 5'10. Maybe that's a factor? Not sure.

All I know is that I'm happy with the set up and it feels and handles good.

Just for sake of making sure I'm on the same page...

I measured my saddle height by measuring from center of crank bolt to the very top of my saddle. The reqch was measured by going straight up from the crank bolt to the top tube and then measuring to the center of the top bar where the stem clamps. Right?

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

Saddle height is BB center to saddle top through the setback (approx mid saddle). Reach is usually measured saddle tip to bar center, which is self explanatory.

Bianchi10

by Bianchi10

dudemanppl wrote:Saddle height is BB center to saddle top through the setback (approx mid saddle). Reach is usually measured saddle tip to bar center, which is self explanatory.

Ok just measured again based on that and I come up with some different numbers then. I had to look it up when I wrote my first set of numbers and it told me to measure straight up from the center of the BB to the bar center.

Here's what I came up with
72cm saddle height
58cm reach

Does that sound better? Remember what I said above that I'm not dead at 5'10 either. Im more like 5'9.5"

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

Still def shorter legs, but reach sounds about in the right realm.

Bianchi10

by Bianchi10

dudemanppl wrote:Still def shorter legs, but reach sounds about in the right realm.

But is it really considered "Def short" for my saddle height? Guy above said he was slightly taller than 5'10 and had a 75cm saddle height. If I'm nearly a full inch shorter than him with only 3cm less in my saddle height, isn't that on the same par as others are mentioning? I can certainly try raising my seatpost a bit and seeing how that feels, but I also don't want to create hip rock in my stride either.

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

No, don't change your saddle height LOL. Your saddle height is your saddle height. No reason to change it.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

I am a pretty heel-down rider (which results in lower saddle). 5'11 with 737mm saddle height and 62-63cm reach when I was on the Power. 58cm isn't absurd on that saddle. Something like a Romin Evo is +2cm and something like a Berk or Selle Italia seems to be another 2cm.

Bianchi10

by Bianchi10

OK, so mainly all this talk about me being a midget has more to do with the fact that I measured incorrectly then??? I can go back to loving my bike without fear that I may be riding with disproportionate body parts haha

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

I'm 5' 10.5" and run a 77cm saddle height with a 55cm reach on this. As I say, we're all different.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com