My $2k limit WW Project! [BUILD COMPLETE]

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

McGilli

by McGilli

dadoflam08 wrote:
McGilli wrote:So I've been using the identical saddle on my S5 for over a year - and it's perfect for me. Mostly because of the cutout - it's just the comfiest saddle I've ever used. However it weighs a little over 140g.

What saddle is that? - looks like an SMP but rails are different(?)

This is a saddle from China. Many sellers through Aliexpress sell these. It uses the bigger carbon rails is all I know - well that - and it is comfy as hell (for me).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

McGilli

by McGilli

Alright.... Gonna go farther with the saddle. Just marking this out.

Let's get it done...

So - 6 grams saved with all that cut out. Basically - all the weight's in the rails and their epoxy adhesive.

KarlC

by KarlC

Looks good, you might want to round over the edges of the cutouts more to save your bibs some
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

McGilli

by McGilli

KarlC wrote:Looks good, you might want to round over the edges of the cutouts more to save your bibs some

Thanks for the heads up - I think I need to do that by hand.

McGilli

by McGilli

Some new stuff... Amazon is crazily out of almost every tubular they sell - well - anything light weight that is... So still waiting on the second. I figure I'll glue up the front wheel tomorrow...

As promised it weighs in at less than 195...

jorisee01

by jorisee01

Is tubular tape lighter as glue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

McGilli

by McGilli

jorisee01 wrote:Is tubular tape lighter as glue?

jorisee01 read the thread below for more information:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=88812&start=30#p901996

EVERYONE PLEASE - the last discussion (that I can find) on this topic turned into a horror show. I linked to the most pertinent answer in that thread above. If you want to discuss the weight of Tufo tape vs glue / pros cons of them both - please use the link above - don't discuss it here. I'm trying to keep this thread full of photos, helpful suggestions from all - and free of opinionated opinions and what people think is better than what other people choose to use.

Thanks in advance - hope everyone's enjoying the build so far :beerchug:
Last edited by McGilli on Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

jorisee01

by jorisee01

OK, thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

McGilli

by McGilli

I stretched the tire onto the new front wheel. I'll give it a few days before taping it. Tire is inflated to 140psi. The weight of the tire/wheel combo right now is exactly 600g which exactly = the weight of the wheel (410g) + the tire (190g)

Also - I bought a hanging digital scale. Cheapest I could find :) Just to confirm my kitchen scale. I don't like the hanging scale - I realized it only displays weight in increments of 5g. Plus it seems to round up or down. Also, it locks in the weight within seconds - so for example if the wheel is swinging when i hang it - the weight will show like 660g, and the next time 580g cuz of the force of the swinging. Pita. Need to be extremely 'still' when you place the item on for an accurate weight. The kitchen scale is weigh better. haha. weigh better. good grammar pun.

So - once I tape it - I will weight it again - then the added weight (600g + ??g) will be attributed towards the tape. Will be able to get an accurate measurement of the weight of the tape which is good.

McGilli

by McGilli

Since I have a huge pack of these Garmin mounts and bands - and since that combo is the lightest (6g) - my original plan was to mount my Garmin on my stem like I do with my S5. However, I have to admit that when I'm climbing, especially out of the saddle, it's very, very awkward to see the Garmin when it's back on the stem.

So - I found this old Bar Fly mount in my box of stuff. Thing is - I'd like the garmin to be flush with the stem and bars. And this Bar Fly is an 'on top' mount. So to create an 'under' mount I will trim down the black Garmin mount and glue it onto the underside of the Bar Fly.

Also - this mount is white. That will never 'fly' on my new bike.

McGilli

by McGilli

Cut off the band tabs with wire cutters. Sanded it down. Used adhesive to attach it to the Bar Fly. Once it's done drying I'll give it all a light sanding before painting.

I didn't use a lot of adhesive - and that worries me - maybe the Garmin will break the mount free when twisting it out. Not sure.

McGilli

by McGilli

Something just arrived from Korea....

When my FSA crank arrived - I weighed the FSA chainrings [50/34] before selling them. They weighed 163g.

Actually - there is a washer on the underside that is not used - as well as the twist ties - and so the real weight is 141g.

McGilli

by McGilli

After installing the rings - it came up 6g lighter than expected - and I realized that's from the removed twist ties, and a washer that was not needed which was weighed in the photo above.

Here's the crank, complete weight.

BmanX

by BmanX

That is not bad. Keep up the good work.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

McGilli

by McGilli

As this project moves along...

I've been updating the parts list on the first page/first post with the exact weights as the project has been going along. From the start - I was hoping to create a bike under 12lbs/5443g

As it sits right now - I am at 5533g = 90 grams heavy. However - I still have the seat post to cut down - as well as the drops. I'm guessing that will save me a total of 40g for all that cutting. Anyways... will see how it progresses...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com