My 2015 Giant Defy SL-0

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderator: Moderator Team

Benno

by Benno

Figured I might as well go ahead and make a thread for my Defy and the lovers of disc brakes (I know you're out there).
Not exactly a hardcore WW bike but the lightest bike I've ever owned and very comfortable to boot.

The bike is a mostly stock 2015 Giant Defy Advanced SL-0 size Medium. I will list the parts that I have changed.
Wheels;
Rims - Light bicycle 24mm carbon clincher
Hubs - Extralite Cyber SPD
Spokes - Sapim CX-Ray
Rotors - Ashima Aineon 140mm in red
Skewers - Tune DC 16/17
Saddle - Tune KommVor Plus

Extras
DuraAce 9000 pedals with +4mm longer axle option
Garmin Edge 1000 with Shimano d-fly
Arundel Mandible bottle cages.

With everything mentioned except the actual Garmin computer, the bike currently weighs 6.82 kilos or 15.05 lbs. I will try to get the pic of it on the scale but it will be in lbs so heads up ;-)

Light. Strong. Cheap. Pick one.

spartan

by spartan

great bike / weight but would not sacrifice safety with those ultralight rotors. if you plan on going down steep/long descents stick to stock shimano rotors.

enjoy the bike..
Current Rides:

2018 Madone SLR DISC DI2 9XXX
2017 Giant TCR Advanced SL 0 DI2 9150

by Weenie

Benno

by Benno

Thanks for your concern for my safety.
I've been using Ashima rotors for about 5 years now on a few different bikes and I love them. I've ridden some pretty gnarly downhills on them and they've always performed great. In fact I find they have the best feel of any rotor I've ever used. So needless to say they were not purchased on a whim and I am very familiar with them but I do appreciate the heads up.
As for the ride, once I switched out the stock Zipp 303 wheels the bike really came alive and it rides much smoother now. It is still very snappy though and I don't feel that I am giving anything up with the compliant "relaxed" geometry frame. Probably the Defy is not as much fun as the TCR when your mixing it in a pack of fast riders but since most of my riding is done solo or in small groups it doesn't make sense to have an all out racer.

Narrowbars

by Narrowbars

Very nice bike and good weight for a disc bike without going to exotic on parts. A few places to save more weight still as well, if you wanted too.

Benno

by Benno

Thanks. Yes I am happy with the weight given the conservative parts. I am waiting for DuraAce Di2 hydraulic levers and calipers. Also can change some bolts for Ti and want to have a seat cap made out of carbon. Should bring it to about 14lbs.

Narrowbars

by Narrowbars

Be interesting to see a Dura-ace level caliper for sure. I've swapped mine out for XTR 9000 calipers, saved 33-35g an end.

I assume you've already done foe expander/top cap? Would be nice to see the Di2 junction box mounted without the rubber band.

Benno

by Benno

If I were to install the Di2 junction box inside my stem I would assume that I would need to either drill the handlebar, or find one designed for internal routing. Also I would need to drill through the fork steerer at 2 points, where the wire goes into the stem and 180 degrees from that where the wire enters the frame. I would have to make sure there was enough clearance between the steerer and frame that the wire wouldn't get cut if the bars were turned all the way to one side.
Are people actually doing this mod? I wasn't able to find much info on the interwebz. Would be nice to clean it up.

CBJ

by CBJ

Super nice bike and good weight for a dics brake bike.

Isn't there are nice Garmin mount where you can also install the junction box on too. Or just something like this

Here is the one I was thinking off

Benno

by Benno

A Tillquist mount would be nice but seems he is AWOL lately. Plus I don't think he ever made one for the Contact SLR stem. It would be nice to hide the wires and junction box completely inside the stem though. Really the rubber band around the stem is the least ugly part of that system IMO.

Benno

by Benno

Also a newb question, but I am assuming the large metal in-line fittings in the shimano disc hoses are just the coupling point to join it to the lever and serve no other purpose? Those are super heavy and ugly, would be nice to get rid of those.

jeffy

by jeffy

i remember you deciding on the LB wheelset.

what do the component parts spec out at weightwise?

get them build up for you locally?

Benno

by Benno

Sadly I did not weigh the individual components since I had Fair Wheel Bikes build the wheels up for me. I weighed the complete set at 1199 grams.

netromsa

by netromsa

I just want to add that your bike looks great!

by Weenie

Benno

by Benno

Thanks lads :-)
After a bit of googling it seems the brake fittings are just quick connects to ease initial install. So should be fine to run some new hoses and delete those.