A Ti Reunion: My WW Litespeed Xicon - 5.76kg (HiRes Pics Up)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderator: Moderator Team

RyanH

by RyanH

So, latest changes resulted in the following savings:

Fibre-Lyte 50/34 rings: -6g
THM M3 SRM: -133g
THM M3 BSA BB: -12g
Cutting down post to 250mm: -22g
SRAM Red 11sp Chain: -11g
Extralite Streeters: -15g

Total Savings: -199g

New Weight: 5763g (12.70 lbs)
Strava
Not for the sensitive types. My Instagram reviews
The Ex's: I've lost track...

by Weenie

danbjpa

by danbjpa

the Fibre-Lyte rings are Lightweight or Lightweight 2 model?
How do you like the Streeters QR? Mine 'scream' when i tighten and it cause me a little fear

Now all perfect with blue on RD. Impressive weight for the robust look and with PM. :thumbup:

RyanH

by RyanH

Thanks for the compliments everyone.

The Extralite skewers are nice, they are supremely Weight Weenie in almost every regard. I got the screech of death too when clamping tightly. I added Paul's tenacious oil to the joint to quiet them down, which worked well. I've been tightening them not so tight, and then rotating them to make them tight. With the Ti dropouts though, I'm battling them creaking/clicking. It's a problem that I have with the KCNC's too, but I'm not as concerned with over-torquing those.

Also, this is the final update for this build. I have a C59 coming which I'm going to transfer the parts to. Assuming that I like it more than the Litespeed (I did get rid of my Parlee to get another Litespeed, so who knows), I'll only be keeping one. I do not think I can get away with keeping this frame (I'll try though! N=1 in my household :( ). If you're interested in the next few weeks, PM me.
Strava

jekyll man

by jekyll man

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Official cafe stop tester

bally81

by bally81

Brutal... :thumbup: :beerchug:
Caad 10
Bianchi EV3
Canyon Speedmax AL

AZR3

by AZR3

RyanH wrote:Also, this is the final update for this build. I have a C59 coming which I'm going to transfer the parts to. Assuming that I like it more than the Litespeed (I did get rid of my Parlee to get another Litespeed, so who knows), I'll only be keeping one. I do not think I can get away with keeping this frame (I'll try though! N=1 in my household :( ). If you're interested in the next few weeks, PM me.

Bummer about this beauty being stripped down, one of the best looking Ti bikes I've seen

RyanH

by RyanH

I've been getting good at this whole rebuild a bike thing, took me only 1.5 hours this go around. Since the Colnago is too big, this is back in rotation with some different bits: Zipp SL stem, Tune Bobo Headset and Red 22 crankset (while I send the SRM in for service).

Had a little splatter on today's ride:

Strava

Denavelo

by Denavelo

This makes me want to fulfill my Moots RSL fantasy even more...
Speedvagen Road Machine "2011 Surprise me | Rob English "Mudfoot" 29er | Focus Izalco Max

danbjpa

by danbjpa

Nice! This bike is a charm. But i'm curious to know what you will make with C59... sell to buy another size or what?

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

RyanH

by RyanH

Not sure. Unfortunately I think another Colnago is ruled out since the reach is almost a cm longer on most of their sizes than I think I prefer. I've considered a full blown WW build by picking up a Fuji SL or even a used R5ca. I've also been keen on the Parlee Altums since the geometry is pretty spot on for me. A Litespeed T1SL is also under consideration. Truth be told though, I'll probably just go back to the Xicon as my primary ride. It's a fantastic ride and the fit is very good. The WW part of me would like a lighter frame and the bike ADD part of me would like another frame, but the Xicon does everything I want a frame to do and puts a smile on my face when I look at it and ride it. I race a decent amount, and although my total bike cost is definitely up there, I try to keep any individual component under 2K. That's my mental threshold for putting it in harm's way when racing. As much as I'd love to get a Crumpton or even the aforesaid Altum, racing a criterium where one crash per race is not unusual wouldn't sit well with me. I don't like racing on equipment that I don't normally train on, so I'm not a huge fan of building a dedicated race bike.

One thing that is up in the air is how I'll feel about racing on the Xicon and how it will handle 50-60mph descents. There's a few races we do at altitude that we can get close to 60mph. I learned a few things on the Colnago that I was previously blaming on the Litespeed. When you're riding on the edge in a supertuck, causing an abnormal weight balance, a lot of things can unsettle the bike, even on a super confident descending frame like a C59. For example, I would get wobbles at 45mph in a supertuck on the C59 with my Reynolds Thirty Two's and Vitorria Pave 27mm's. With my Reynolds RZRs and veloflex carbons, I feel more confident BUT, I still have to pay attention to ensuring that I don't influence steering etc..otherwise, I can induce some level of dartiness still. I'm going to swap back to Veloflex 23mm to see if it's the tires. But at those speeds and trying to eke out more speed by riding on the edge, nuts on the top tube and most of your weight over the front wheel, everything begins playing a role and any weakness begins to show. As another example, the Extralite stem couldn't cope with that and caused wobbles right at 40mph regardless of wheelset.
Strava

maverick_1

by maverick_1

IMHO, do try out a different pair wheelset and see if there's any improvement.
The regular RZR46 (sub 970grams) is not the stiffest of all wheels (*FYI..I'm 58kg), had one and encountered numerous issues with it (rear hubs issues, manufacturing issues, flex issues etc, Reynolds replaced three pairs of RZR46 in total, within a span of 12 months).
Thank goodness customer service@Reynolds was first class.

Once I changed over to the RZR Team 46T all problems including the dreaded stiffness issues was then resolved.

Cheers

RyanH

by RyanH

Hi Maverick, it's possible that a stiffer wheelset can improve the stability further when doing a super tuck, I don't doubt that at all. I wish I had a pair of 46s sitting around as those were brutally stiff. Any who, doing a successful super tuck at 50mph requires skill in handling that wheels alone cannot compensate for. Its just that more flexy components will present issues at lower speeds.

As far as the RZRs go, I have been pretty happy with them(2015 model) except that they are not very true. They are however a lot more comfortable than the Reynolds 46s they replaced.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
Strava

irongatsby

by irongatsby

Ryan, when you say they are not very true, about how much movement do you notice?

by Weenie

RyanH

by RyanH

@irongatsby I guess it's not as bad as I thought. I finally attempted to measure this morning. Since I don't have a lateral runout tool I had to approximate by setting the pads to touch on one side and then insert shims at the widest point in the revolution. It's 0.88mm of runout on the rear. I think I've heard lightweights having up to 2mm.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
Strava