Canyon Ultimate AL - updated w. new pics

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

djm

by djm

This one is still in service..! Missing it, it resides in my mother's house for use during summers and holidays. Revisiting this old build thread of mine as I'm conducting some research. Yesterday I wrecked my also very trusty 2013 BMC Teammachine SLR01. Something snagged the derailleur, and I managed to pull it through the rear triangle, completely crushing the right seat stay, and mangling the frame drop out.. the jury is still out on whether or not to have it repaired. It has seen _a lot_ of riding through the years and has a few scuffs and minor cracks here and there, need to pick the frame clean and inspect it for all blemishes to judge if there is any point in saving it.

Made me miss this bike, might have to bring it back home for some more use than what it sees. What a phenomenally nice frame. A shame Canyon has no AL road frame today.

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Where are you based mate? Sos just seen norway. Darn was gunna suggest someone to help repair the bmc when i crashed mine i was in two minds but got it repaired as it was the bike that that got me back into cycling. Next year I'm prob gunna strip it down and turn into a hill climb monster as framsets a good starting point

Basso Diamante eps 12

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

frostorama

by frostorama

My Canyon Ultimate AL is still in regular service as my winter bike now. I've ridden 45,000km on that bike. Originally it was running Campag Athena and Mavic Kysrium Elite S wheels. But over the last 9 years I have replaced the groupset and wheels with Shimano R8000 and Zipp 302's.The bike has been reliable all that time and has only recently developed a creak which I think is the Rotor InPower 3D+ axle becoming worn.

Roel W

by Roel W

My Ultimate AL 2010 is also still in service. Still running the Athena 2010 11-speed groupset with Ultrashift (Record Ergopower internals), Powertorque chainset, external cable routing and threaded bottom bracket.
It might be the same as frostorama as it also came with Mavic Kysrium Elite S wheels that I sold immediately and replaced with Mavic Ksyrium SSC 2001 (first generation Ksyrium) wheels. I replaced the wheels last year by DT Swiss P1800 and 25mm Schwalbe One (although the frame is specced for 23mm maximum tires but 25mm tires on a wide rim just doesn't touch the brake calipers). Wider tires makes it a smoother ride.
The price of the complete bike was unbeatable back in 2010 (1500€ for the complete bike!!).
They should launch it again with a modern 105 disc groupset.

I have to admit the frame has been replaced under garanty by Canyon back in 2015 when the front mech braze-on snapped.