'13/'16 Supersix Evo Black-Inc (5.42kg)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

by 573

I've been after a '16 Evo '2' HiMod fork for quite a while. They're obviously lighter than pre-'16 forks but they look so much better too in my opinion. The straighter, simpler and thinner lines are so much cleaner and give a much crisper updated look. I managed to bag one in the US and got it shipped over.

Cut to length it was a really impressive weight of 250g

Obviously the red paint job wouldn't work, so I sanded all the paint off and then shot over a very thin ghost coat of satin black to match the Black-Inc paint job. I faded the bottom of the legs out to leave the carbon weave showing though.

Sanded and repainted the weight was down to 244g. The original glossy paintjob was actually very thin. Cannondale certainly seem to keep things weenie at times.

My '13 Black-Inc nano carbon frame weighs 706g. Adding the 244g of the '16 HiMod fork gives an overall fameweight of 950g 8) . I wonder if that combo is the lightest permutation of Supersix? I'm half tempted to fully sand it just to see how light it could go...

To fit the new fork I bought some of the FSA SL alu top and bottom headset bearings.

Top and bottom with the standard Cannondale compression ring are 31g.

Fork fitted:

New weight, 5.47kg

C36

by C36

573 wrote: Cut to length it was a really impressive weight of 250g

Sanded and repainted the weight was down to 244g. The original glossy paintjob was actually very thin. Cannondale certainly seem to keep things weenie at times.
Depends a lot on the paint scheme my hm fork with the pearl white is a lot heavier!Image

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

asiantrick

by asiantrick

Good luck with the FSA headset bearing. It might be one of the lightest bearing in the market, but that POS cracked on me after 300 miles. Had it replaced, and cracked again after 500 miles. Be on the look out for grinding noise, you'll know soon enough.

by 573

Thanks, will keep my eye on it. It certainluy ydoesn't run completely smoothly. Quite disapointing given its price compared to a standard bearing.

C36 - that's a very heavy HiMod '16 fork. It's in the weight range I've seen for non Hi-Mod forks.

MichaelK

by MichaelK

573 wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:43 am
Thanks, will keep my eye on it. It certainluy ydoesn't run completely smoothly. Quite disapointing given its price compared to a standard bearing.

C36 - that's a very heavy HiMod '16 fork. It's in the weight range I've seen for non Hi-Mod forks.
Make sure you have the lightest amount of pre-load on the topcap. Also see the reverse of the fork at the crown is flat? It means all dirt and water flying off the front wheel is going straight at the bearing. Clean it after every dirty ride.

by 573

Thanks. I don't ride this bike if it's wet or the roads are dirty, but points taken, cheers.

I'll try re-setting it. I did wonder if I had too much pre-load; I actually think my Park torque-wrench is *f##k*.

Peeza21

by Peeza21

Looks stellar with the new fork!!

Regarding the bearing, I ended up using only the lower DSA SL, and my original top bearing, slight weight penalty, but buttery smooth
Cannondale Systemsix Ultegra 2020 8)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=160844

KB

by KB

Great looking bike especilly with that fork (just like Peeza's). well done

by 573

Thanks all.
Peeza21 wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:08 pm
Looks stellar with the new fork!!

Regarding the bearing, I ended up using only the lower DSA SL, and my original top bearing, slight weight penalty, but buttery smooth
I can see this is probably where I'll end up...

garjo

by garjo

me the same: SL on lower and original on top because the top SL was too tall and protruding from the frame and IMO a light preload is not enough safe to ride.
My 4,93 kg Supersix Evo HM: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137647&start=30

My 6,22 kg Cannondale R500 1996: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=134364

Darmen

by Darmen

Such an inspiration, i finally bought supersix evo black inc 2013 frame

Could you share the FSA SL upper and lower headset part number? thanks a lot

by 573

Hi Darmen, sorry missed your question. If you still need them, the part numbers are:

Headset top bearing:
FSA Sealed bearing Super Light 1-1/8'' TH-870R ACB 45°x45° MR042R

Headset bottom bearing:
FSA Sealed bearing Super Light 1-1/4'' ACB 45°x45° MR082R

I haven't ridden the bike since I fitted them but the headset doesn't feel nice, it's quite bound up. I imagine I'll re-fit the standard top bearing before riding the bike.

by 573

I fitted the standard top bearing and the headset feels back to normal.

I also bought a new stem and Garmin mount. I'd been waiting for the Extralite CH-01 mount ever since I saw the CAD mock-up on here last year, so ended up buying it on the first day it was for sale. I ordered a Hyperstem Stealth too in 110mm -6deg.

Stem and Garmin mount together are 96g

The mount is unusual, but I really like the skeletal design. I love the stem too.

Unfortunately, the very first time I fitted the Garmin and rotated it there was a loud crack noise. I removed it to find the mount had broken. It should be said, this part isn't made by Extralite, it's branded with another company's logo underneath.

I contacted Extralite and they didn't hesitate to send me a new one on a fast airmail service. Interestingly I noted on Instagram that it had cracked and a few other people replied to me saying they'd just bought one and their mount had also cracked in the same place.

For interest, this is what the Extralite CH-01 carbon part looks like under the generic plastic Garmin holder.

The old one was fitted with Loctite 243, so needed heating before removing the fasteners. I then fitted the new one on torqued up to 1NM. I did wonder if the first mount had been over-torqued at the factory causing a stress-riser in the plastic.

New one fitted and seems to have no issues. I'm pleased with it.

New weight is 5.43kg

Darmen

by Darmen

573 wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:01 am
Hi Darmen, sorry missed your question. If you still need them, the part numbers are:

Headset top bearing:
FSA Sealed bearing Super Light 1-1/8'' TH-870R ACB 45°x45° MR042R

Headset bottom bearing:
FSA Sealed bearing Super Light 1-1/4'' ACB 45°x45° MR082R

I haven't ridden the bike since I fitted them but the headset doesn't feel nice, it's quite bound up. I imagine I'll re-fit the standard top bearing before riding the bike.
Thanks, its same as mine and yess the top headset doesnt fit well.

To make it work I had sand it until the headset doesnt exceed the head tube and use a rubber seal to make micro gap between dust cover and headtube

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com