'13/'16 Supersix Evo Black-Inc (5.42kg)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

by 573

I think most bits on here have been weighed and documented in the thread as I've added them. I can certainly weigh parts as I strip it down.

Will weigh the old and new frame too and weigh parts as I add them back on.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bfast

by Bfast

If you are selling... id be very interested in buying, drop me a PM if need be. just what iv been wanting. been following your thread from the start.

by 573

I will be selling, yes. Will message you.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

573 wrote:Berk Lupina is very comfortable, although saddles are obviously very personal things. It has quite a bit of flex in it which takes out lots of road buzz.

Height from bottom of rail to top of saddle is 35mm.

Whilst I was measuring I grabbed a few pics to show a few updates I did towards the end of the summer:

- 3t Dorico Ltd post that I stripped the logos and paint off and re-painted with a thin dusting of satin black
- Ti bolts replaced with black Ti bolts

Hope it’s comfy.. getting ready to order one... getting it made with lower stack too.

2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

by 573

Cool. I’m just talking to Jure about a custom one to match the new build. My current one will go on my CAAD.

by 573

I finally got around to swapping the parts over from the 2013 Supersix Evo Red to the new frame. The 'new' frame is also a 2013 Supersix, but this one's a Supersix Evo Black-Inc. I got it for a great price used, but in really great condition. It even came in its box with the original warranty card.

First job was obviously to weigh it. I think the Cannondale people that weighed these must have been smoking crack or their scales were broken, as they claimed these frames were 655g. Whilst nowhere near that light, it's still a respectable weight.

Frame = 706g

The fork steerer had already been cut an amount and weighed in at...

Fork = 298g

I measured the length I needed the steerer at and cut the excess off, this came to 14g.

...and the fork now weighed 285g, showing that my scales can't do maths very well. It's also worth noting that the bottom headset seat is fitted on the fork already.

Total weight for the frameset is:

706g + 285g
= 991g

I was interested to know what the old Supersix Evo frameset weighed. Remember that isn't a Hi-Mod, but is the Evo Model. In 2013, there was:

SuperSix
SuperSix Evo
SuperSix Evo Hi-Mod
SuperSix Evo Black-Inc

I found the result quite surprising...

SuperSix Evo frame weight - 868g

SuperSix Evo fork weight - 378g

Total weight for that frameset is:

866g + 378g
= 1246g

I think that explains why this bike, despite not being a Hi-Mod was always quite light. With a new >2017 Hi-Mod fork that would have made a light frameset. It's also really interesting that the actual frame is only 160g more than the Black-Inc frame with all its fancy Nanotech carbon.

Anyway, onto some of the component weights.

SRAM Red calliper and Enve pads (x1) = 127g

Standard Cannondale seatpost clamp = 13g

Cannondale under BB cableguide = 4g

Cannondale derailleur hanger = 8g

Plastic screws to blank holes on unused bottlecage mount = <1g

Standard headset = 51g

Supersix headset dustcover = 3g

Used Deda perforated tape = 26g

Deda barplugs = 4g

Firstly, I couldn't resist putting the frame and fork onto my set of Enve 4.5s, just to get an idea of how it was going to look.

One problem with moving the old components over is that they have flashes of red on lots of them which matched the old frame perfectly, but will clash with the new frame. It's clear to see that the old frame was really painted to match the SRAM Red groupset.

Plus there's a red stripe on my Keo Blades to denote that they're the 16nm ones and also have a Ti axle.

I wanted to stealth all of that out, so I set to sanding and painting...

...and I think the finished articles will match the new frame much better.

Talking of details, I'd never noticed this 'NANO' text before on these, and only noticed it a few hours into putting this one together. It's hidden on the inside of the left-hand seat stay.

Anyway, this is how far I've got so far...

I decided to take it outside into the sunlight to get a better idea of what it's going to look like. I have to say I'm pleased with how it's going.

Things that are currently preventing me from finishing it are the bottom bracket and the cables.

The bottom bracket on the Evo Red was a Wheels Mfg PF30 with angular bearings. It's been really good, but I won't re-use it as it's anodised red. Weight of it is 105g.

Wheels Mfg make a black one with angular bearings and also a ceramic bearing one that's available in black too. I may just get one of those, although all the shops in the UK seem to only have red in stock. Other ones I'm considering are the Chris King, the Kogel and the C-Bear. If anyone recommends a particular one, knows one is much lighter and knows of good availability in the UK then please let me know.

Also cables, I've read so many threads on i-links and other link-type systems but I don't like the aesthetics of them. What are the best options for lightweight cables and outers? Thanks!
Last edited by 573 on Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

loudtiger

by loudtiger

sweet, i liked the red and black color scheme before but also like the stealthed look. is the cannondale logo a light blue on the new frame? maybe you could put some light blue accents on the sram shifters instead.

Peeza21

by Peeza21

Can't wait to see this finished. Its going to be great!
Cannondale Systemsix Ultegra 2020 8)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=160844

BigDog

by BigDog

Like the way the logo isn't completely blacked out - look forward to seeing this build done!

by 573

So am I. May take a short while though, have lots on at the moment, not least WeightWeenie-ing my track car.

rexyi1990

by rexyi1990

NICE BUILD!

Denavelo

by Denavelo

Not to thread hijack, but I'm building up my Evo I just got back from Cryptic Cycles Kevin..
Just noting that my frame is a 56cm and the same model as your first Evo.

Frame weight = 721g
Fork Weight = 291g

Before...

After...
Rob English "Mudfoot" 29er | Focus Izalco Max | Firefly #194 Stainless XCR | Firefly #277 | Neilpryde Bura SL 11.9 | Crust Evasion Lite

by 573

Denavelo wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:27 am
Not to thread hijack, but I'm building up my Evo I just got back from Cryptic Cycles Kevin..
Just noting that my frame is a 56cm and the same model as your first Evo.

Frame weight = 721g
Fork Weight = 291g
Is that weight before or after the paint was stripped?

The paint on your Cannondale is vaguely similar but also quite different to mine. Mine has no white, yours has large white logos as a starter. As you've used Cryptic Cycles I guess you're in the US? Your frame looks like the one that came on the Dura Ace model in the US which was a Hi-Mod if I'm not mistaken?
Last edited by 573 on Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

by 573

Otherwise I'd say you need to calibrate your scales.

My fork steerer is cut for 0 spacers and weighs 378g. Your steerer is longer as you have a size 56 frame. Even if you also have 0 spacers and are running on the bearing cover like I am, the headtube of the 56 is 15.5cm compared to the 13.9 of the 54. So I highly doubt your frameset is the same if your fork weighs 291g.

Points to it being a Hi-Mod (or wonky scales).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Denavelo

by Denavelo

Possibly a Hi-mod, since I don't think Cannondale printed "Hi MOD" on the frames until a certain year.
This was the Di2 Shimano Evo model. Scales are calibrated and Kevin and I weighed the frame at his place.

I'm just confused on which BB these frames use? PF30 or BB30? I'm going to run THM cranks..
Rob English "Mudfoot" 29er | Focus Izalco Max | Firefly #194 Stainless XCR | Firefly #277 | Neilpryde Bura SL 11.9 | Crust Evasion Lite