'13/'16 Supersix Evo Black-Inc (5.42kg)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

by 573

These frames are PF30.

I'm almost certain that all Di2 models were Hi-Mods so that makes sense. Frameset looks great stripped. 8)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

by 573

The final parts have arrived from around the globe so I was finally able to finish putting the bike together. For cables I wanted to go lighter than the standard cables that were on there but I'd also decided that I didn't want a link system (i-link , Bungarus etc) as I really don't like the look of them. I settled on Aican Superlights. They arrived quite quickly from Taiwan.

The parts I put on the scales, both cables and outers seemed to weigh approx 50% of the cables the bike had originally been built with. I also took the opportunity to remove the ugly in-line barrel adjusters from the gear cables near the headtube. I didn't use the orange anodized cable ends either, but used black or silver dependant on application.

The only real difficulty, other than threading new outers through the 3T Ergonova Ltds was getting the rear brake cable through the frame. I used the technique I'd used before, feeding a length of cotton through and sucking it back out the other end with a vacuum cleaner nozzle.

Once the thread is through, it's easy to tie to the cable inner and guide it through the frame and out the rear exit.

For a BB, I went with a Wheels MFG one again as I'd been pleased with the previous Angular contact one I'd used. This time I decided to try the ceramic hybrid one, and opted for the black anodised body to match the frameset better. It took quite a while to arrive in the UK from the US and the import duty was ridiculous, coming to almost 50% of the item's cost. Nowhere in the Uk had the black ones in stock though and the red just wouldn't have worked.

Weight is 5g less than the angular contact one at 100g.

From there I could tape the bars. I veered from my usual perforated Deda which I love and is super-lightweight as I wanted to add an element of colour to the build. I opted for some Rapha Pro-Team tape in fluoro pink. This matches my shoes and graphics on my helmet (neon pink Kask logos on a matt-black Vertigo). The Rapha tape was quite unpleasant to use. It didn't really want to stretch and needed quite a lot of manipulating to get it to hold the curves nicely.

The colour is perfect though, it's very hard to photograph but it really pops. It perfectly complements the subtle powder-blue highlights on the frameset too.

Here's a quick Bike Against A Tree shot of the finished thing.

As you can see, the weather in the Uk hasn't been ideal for riding nice bikes recently. I've been mountain biking and using the turbo instead. I'll get better photos when the weather improves. For now, here's a weight as it currently stands:

I realise now that's not a great photo, but the weight is 5.69kg which is pretty much the ballpark I expected this to end up at. I'm quite pleased with that. Next up I guess are a change of callipers, I'm tempted by a set of EEs. I may also investigate a lighter seatpost as the 3T Ltd on there could be improved upon. I don't really want to set another target, but <5.5kg would be nice...

For now I just want the weather to improve so I can get out and shred on it.

Peeza21

by Peeza21

Im not sold on the tape, but it maybe because it looks red in the pics, however, that is not to take anything away from this build!

Chapeau. Great build!
Cannondale Systemsix Ultegra 2020 8)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=160844

coriordan

by coriordan

Tape looks awesome. The Rapha pink looks ace with almost everything.

I'm rarely someone with such attention to detail, but would it look better with black bar end plugs?

by 573

Cheers both. I knew the tape would divide opinion, but wanted to at least try it with the fluoro pink first. I'll try to get some better photographs of it, as it really complements the powder-blue frame graphics perfectly. The frame swap was partly about losing a bit of weight and I imagine the Black-Inc will ride better too. I'd be lying if I didn't say that I changed the frame to lose the red accents on the old frame though. I found the red clashed with lots of the kit that I have, not least my club kit. I wanted a more neutral bike that I could add accents too.

coriordan, I think you're probably right. I tried it with some Deda plugs and it probably looks better like that. I'm going to leave the pink Rapha ones in for now but will probably change them.

by 573

Took it out for a first ride earlier as the weather picked up this afternoon. I didn't go far, just wanted to dial in saddle height etc. I also tried to get some better pics to represent the actual colours better. I'm not sure how succesful they are, the combination of very dark bike and fluoro tape seems to confuse the iPhone camera. I'll get the DSLR out soon and try that.

thePrince

by thePrince

I won't sleep well until I see the left handlebar tape fixed.

J00P

by J00P

you need something like this to bring a a bit more balance in the color
https://www.cykelgear.se/reservdelar/sa ... r-pinkrosa

by 573

thePrince wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:23 am
I won't sleep well until I see the left handlebar tape fixed.
Me neither! I'd had that side off and re-wound it 3 or 4 times. I think if I tried to remove it again to re-wind it will tear so I've left it until some new tape arrives. :(

by 573

I'm loving ridng this. Here are some new pics:

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

Awesome build.

themidge

by themidge

Nice aeroplane :thumbup:

Peeza21

by Peeza21

I love this build. So clean.

Still not entirely onboard with the bar tape though :? .
Cannondale Systemsix Ultegra 2020 8)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=160844

torob

by torob

perfect.
Using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

Yep, I like it too.

Even the pink tape, mostly because I wouldn't be brave enough to do it. More than enough road rage from drivers around here without giving them any more excuses.

I had the same frame and a similar build and also really liked it. Funny though, looking at your pictures the fork angle looks slacker than I remembered it to be.

Anyways, nice job. :beerchug: