Canyon Slx Ultimate 2013

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: maxim809, MrCurrieinahurry, Moderator Team

Racing2
Posts: 86
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:45 am

by Racing2

jumbo505 wrote:@Racing2 Do you think the ring with the bolt(i-lock system) has anything to do with the holding the fork? It only expands vertically to clear any clearance between stem and the headtube as I told you before.. But the height of the i-lock system is 16 mm which is high. So if you could make the clearance go away with the expansion plug and the top cap in the first place and tighten stem to firmly to hold its position, the 4.5 mm ring will allow you to lower your handlebar.. that's the whole idea. That's why pros use 'plane top cover' instead of the i-lock system because they want more aggressive position. I think firm hold by the stem is enough as long as there is no clearance. But if you have any doubt then you should just keep the plug and top cap.. that's your choice.


Okay, thank you very much for explaining, and of course I would rather loose the cilinder, it's pretty massive and heavy, just to be sure I would like to replace it by another (lighter one) Does the fact that the Canyon have a akward size limit my choices? which one willl fit and will this one do the trick?

http://r2-bike.com/EXTRALITE-Expander-UltraStar-3_1

by Weenie


Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com



jumbo505
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:04 pm
Location: Seoul, Korea

by jumbo505

Racing2 wrote:
jumbo505 wrote:@Racing2 Do you think the ring with the bolt(i-lock system) has anything to do with the holding the fork? It only expands vertically to clear any clearance between stem and the headtube as I told you before.. But the height of the i-lock system is 16 mm which is high. So if you could make the clearance go away with the expansion plug and the top cap in the first place and tighten stem to firmly to hold its position, the 4.5 mm ring will allow you to lower your handlebar.. that's the whole idea. That's why pros use 'plane top cover' instead of the i-lock system because they want more aggressive position. I think firm hold by the stem is enough as long as there is no clearance. But if you have any doubt then you should just keep the plug and top cap.. that's your choice.


Okay, thank you very much for explaining, and of course I would rather loose the cilinder, it's pretty massive and heavy, just to be sure I would like to replace it by another (lighter one) Does the fact that the Canyon have a akward size limit my choices? which one willl fit and will this one do the trick?

http://r2-bike.com/EXTRALITE-Expander-UltraStar-3_1


http://www.extralite.com/Products/UltraStar%203.htm
It tells that it is for 1-1/8" steerer. As kkibbler said, FSA makes expander plug for 1-1/4" steerers.
Just quick googling, I think it is this one.
http://www.avt.bike/WebStore/merchant.m ... 305-HD5347
Doesn't look light enough like EXTRALITE one.

Racing2
Posts: 86
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:45 am

by Racing2

Thanks, for looking, I've tried and get the expander out soI could put it on the scale but it was stuck pretty damn tight in the tube so Iheac just let it go. Yes it's heavy but overall weight on my good bike is low enough so that I can live with this and on my Alu Slx it doesn't really matter because it's somewhere around 7.8kg.

It works, it's solid, I'm just not messing about with safety myself here. Maybe in the future have it changed at the Canyon SC. Good luck with your own quest.

jumbo505
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:04 pm
Location: Seoul, Korea

by jumbo505

jumbo505 wrote:I'm interested in changing the original i-lock headset to conventional expansion plug + top cap settings.
Did you happen to weigh the "plane top cover set for ultimate"? I want to know the weight difference to i-lock headset.
Is it a lot heavier? The i-lock headset is known to be 73 grams in total.


Image
I found the weight information.. this looks lighter because it is weighed without the headset bearings and other stuffs. So direct comparison is meaningless. Sharing for FYI.

Delorre
Posts: 966
Joined: Sat May 24, 2014 12:09 pm

by Delorre

After 1 season of use, and a winter sleep of a few months (my old Scott Cr1 sl was very happy), it was time to get the Canyon back to live. During last season following mods were done:

-Fizik Antares R3 braided instead of the old sworx one. The latter was definitly to stiff for my but.
-Arundel bottle cage. Superb piece of kit. Feels very solid and holds the bottle very securely!

For 2015, a few more upgrades:

-Fulcrum Racing Zero Nite : matches the frame very well. Good braking and after 500 miles, the brake track is still black. Little overweight vs advertised : 1460gr vs 1420gr
-Record chain & cassette : nothing special to mention
-Tune DC14 skewers : very light, very good clamping force, but difficult to rotate a little as soon as there is contact between the skewer and the dropout. Material is very rough. Not the best solution for a quick wheel swap during a race for exemple!

Weight as pictured, 6,410. New and little overweighted wheels + heavier saddle + fully grease repacked pedals make for an increase in weight instead of decrease, but looks and confort are also very important to me!

And after thousands of miles, I think i'm able to give some fair feedback regarding the Canyon, may be usefull to some of us:

On the positive side:

-Very responsive and very good power transfert of the bottom bracket
-Almost a flying carpet compared to the harch riding Scott CR1 Sl(8 years old now)
-Well tought cable routing, although you have to choose between mech or electronic before ordering. Nothing 2 drilled holes can't resolve :wink:
-Scarves through corners like nothing else I've riden until now
-For that price, difficult to get more performance from a frameset I think. And light also!
-Got a ton of positive feedback from others during rides

On the more negative side

-A little twitchy front end. Every imput on the steer, even very very minimal induces some steering. Not ideal for a relaxed ride on rough roads, especially while eating/drinking (1 hand riding)
-Related to previous, I find the fronf end lacks some stiffness combined with the quick steering
-Finish i below what you could expect. Matt finish is very uneven, with some almost satin parts going to normal matt till 2000 grid like feel on some places. On some spots, paint turns out more like white, as if there was dust on it. Fortunately, matt cockpit spray solves this one, but not permanently. Should have taken the frame to a painter during the winter for a complete quality respray, but kept postposing it. On both sides of the top tube, some area's tend to become satin, caused by some occcasional light rubbing from the legs/clothing during rides. Visible on the second picture. The 2015 models have a much better finish as I've seen on different bike shows this winter

Some not to best pictures. Looks much better in the flesh, (as long as you don't look to close though :wink: )
Image
Image

User avatar
Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez
Posts: 2153
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2004 6:21 pm
Location: around Paris

by Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

Both classy and spectacular

sub7kg
Posts: 96
Joined: Sat May 09, 2015 12:39 pm

by sub7kg

jumbo505 wrote:
jumbo505 wrote:I'm interested in changing the original i-lock headset to conventional expansion plug + top cap settings.
Did you happen to weigh the "plane top cover set for ultimate"? I want to know the weight difference to i-lock headset.
Is it a lot heavier? The i-lock headset is known to be 73 grams in total.


Image
I found the weight information.. this looks lighter because it is weighed without the headset bearings and other stuffs. So direct comparison is meaningless. Sharing for FYI.


Do you know how much the Acros headset and bung weighs in comparison? (I mean the one canyon supply as standard).

RickyKong
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:31 am

by RickyKong

Where do you get the "lower top cover" for acros ai-70??

Delorre
Posts: 966
Joined: Sat May 24, 2014 12:09 pm

by Delorre

RickyKong wrote:Where do you get the "lower top cover" for acros ai-70??


From Canyon directly, but more than 1 year ago...

Post Reply