2013 Trek Madone 5.2 (AKA Project Fauxmonda)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

The ride of this bike is amazing, compared to my old 5-series. The bike has great handling, and I can do just as much with it as I did with the old one (haven't taken it into the hills yet, probably not until March). However, I can tell you that it is much more forgiving on rough asphault. I was very tempted to get a Domane next, but I have changed my mind after riding this bike.

My next bike will be a 7-series. I'll probably just go with a basic paint job.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jb

by jb

The clamps too hold your saddle do they come with the seat mast in black or did you paint it yourself?
I have the silver coloured ones and can not find the black ones.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

They came with the bike that way, but I think the carbon-compatible rail clamps are silver. I've got a RXL Carbon saddle waiting to go on, but I don't have the clamp yet, so I'm waiting until that.

jb

by jb

Okay thanks.I will ask a Trek dealer over here.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

no problem.

Update on DA: the front derailleur arrived last week, and my crank should arrive today or tomorrow. Still waiting on the 11-28 cassette (for hilly rides) to arrive from PBK, along with the chain, and the RD is coming in from Merlin Bicycles, but last check it was in Chicago, which got a foot of snow last night, so I have no idea when that will finally get here!

Still waiting on a 12-25 or 11-23 cassette and the ST-9001 shifters to get back in stock to get those, then the build can begin.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

FIJIGabe wrote:Hey everyone. I recently had my 2010 Madone replaced by Trek under warranty, after breaking my 3rd seat post cap. Although this was not my first choice for my next bike (I would have preferred a 6-series Domane), I didn't have much of a choice in the matter. This bike will eventually become my vacation bike, but for now, it will serve as my "daily driver" so to speak.

The bike is on the heavy side at just under 8kg (7.99 or 17lbs, 10oz), however, this bike is pretty much stock, save for my Zipp 303 clinchers. As soon as I get all my components back from the bike shop next week, I'll post updated weights.ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 2001 Trek 5200 comes in at about 19 pounds, not that weight is the sole determinant of performance, but it is interesting after all these years....
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Well, truth in disclosure, it was 17.7lbs fully dressed (pedals, cages, k-edge). I haven't weighed it since, but now that the DA9000 parts are coming in, I'll be posting more weights. So far, it's only lost a little weight with the stem and spacers, as posted above.

DA crank came in last night. Talked to my LBS about the ST-9001 shifters, and he said he'd get back to my this afternoon.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Well, parts arrived last week and went on this weekend.

Getting started...

Tear down complete

Built

Certainly not a complete weight weenie, but its a good balance between weight and reliable equipment. There are still a couple of things that need upgrading. I'm still using the Ultegra 6700 pedals (6800 carbons are arriving on Monday. Also, I'll drop a couple hundred grams next year, when I go with the 7 series frame.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Just a rundown of the parts used:

Crank, brakes, derailleurs, shifters and chain are DA9000.

Cassette(s) are Ultegra 6800

Stem and cages are Bontrager RXXXL

Handlebar and saddle are Bontrager RXL Carbon

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Swapped on a set of Ultegra 6800 pedals and dropped the weight to 7.61kg.

Ozrider

by Ozrider

Looks good with DA.

Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I agree. It really does change the look of the bike. I'm currently sitting about 800g from the 6.8kg limit. I figure I can probably drop 200-250g when I switch frames next year, depending on the paint (Vapor Coat is 5g vs. normal paint, which is 50g). I'm also going to equip that bike with the RXL wheels, which are in the 1400g range (vs. 1500 for the 303's). That's 300g+ right there.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I've fine-tuned the bike over the last year+, and I weighed it this weekend.

Changes include swapping over to some lighter tires (Bontrager R3 TLR), new bar tape (Bontrager cork, got it for $5!), swapped over the Ultegra cassette for DA 9000 12/25, and swapped over to the Emonda SLR seatpost and clamp. All of this, along with trimming the head tube to fit, and I dropped over 300g!

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Revisiting an old thread, I decided to take my old Madone off the trainer, and out of retirement. I had been looking to build a light climbing/travel/backup bike to my Madone 9 - something like a used Emonda, but I couldn't find anything in my size that would fit in my budget, so I decided to rebuild this bike into the weight weenie I always wanted it to be, albeit, with the ability to pack it into a travel bag and take it with me.

In its original iteration, I had this bike down the 7.3kg, so that became my interim goal: reach or exceed 7.3kg without changing the group set. Off the bat, I slapped a set of Bontrager RXL wheels I had sitting around and weighed it (7.55kg). Here's the new original build:

Frame: 2013 Trek Madone 5 (H2 geometry), 60cm
Wheels, tires & tubes: Bontrager RXL w/ DT Swiss 36T star ratchet, Bontrager R3 (700x25c) tires w/ Vittoria latex tubes
Crank: Ultegra 6800, 175mm, 52x36 w/ Stages Gen 3 PM
FD: Ultegra 6800
RD: Ultegra 6800 GS
Cables: Jagwire (not sure if Elite or something lower level, it's been a while since I installed it)
Cassette: DA9000 (11-28)
Chain: Shimano CN701
Brakes: DA9000
Shifters: Ultegra 6800
Pedals: Ultegra 6700 Carbon
Saddle: Bontrager Affinity RXL Carbon
Seatpost: Emonda SLR
Stem: Bontrager XXX 120mm
Handlebar: Some cheap Bontrager alloy bar (44cm)
Bottle Cages: Bontrager RL w/ steel bolts
Skewers: Bontrager Elite

Misc. items included the Bontrager Speed/Cadence sensor, which was leftover from when I didn't have the power meter on the bike.

ImageIMG_7575 by Gabriel Couriel, on Flickr
ImageIMG_7574 by Gabriel Couriel, on Flickr
ImageIMG_7577 by Gabriel Couriel, on Flickr
ImageIMG_7591 by Gabriel Couriel, on Flickr

Since the original weigh-in, I've made the following changes:

Replaced the speed/cadence sensor with a blank Bontrager piece (-4g)
Replaced stem w/ Kalloy Uno stem (-20g)
Replaced Bontrager skewers w/ Zipp aero skewers (-80g)
Replaced water bottle bolts w/ aluminum bolts (-16g)

I've got the bike sitting at 7.43kg, at the moment. I also have a couple of things arriving in the next week, including a new headset (Cane Creek AER) and bars (Zipp SL Concourse). Between these changes, I estimate I may be sitting below the 7.3kg target weight.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

With the new bars and headset, I’ve reached (and exceeded) my goal. 7.29kg (16.07lbs). I’ll post some photos this week, and now I’ve got to figure out where to go from here, to get down to 7kg, even.