Canyon Ultimate CF SLX 2013

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderator: Moderator Team

micropox
Posts: 265
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:50 pm

by micropox

Specialized stem is not 1 1/4". Diameter of the steerer clamp is 1-2mm larger

jimborello
Posts: 285
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 5:07 am

by jimborello

Congrats, it is a beautiful bike! It is a shame its not easy to source one of those to my country.

jeffsavans
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:03 am

by jeffsavans

Great build. Looks amazing and probably rides even better I would imagine.

drainyoo
Posts: 736
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:56 pm

by drainyoo

Beautiful. Love everything about it.

derek
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:29 pm

by derek

So sweet. What handlebar tape is that? Is that original handlebar? Did you just paint over the graphics on the stem?

micropox
Posts: 265
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:50 pm

by micropox

derek wrote:So sweet. What handlebar tape is that? Is that original handlebar? Did you just paint over the graphics on the stem?


Hi,

Fizik microtex matt black for the bar tape, deda zero 100 handlebar (not the original, replace the original ritchey handlebars). Did not paint over the stem, i just used paint remover to remove the specialized graphics

Krull
Posts: 775
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2003 1:16 pm
Location: muc

by Krull

sawyer wrote:Nice build!

Like the internal cabling and the internal BB is cleaner

BUT, although I'm sure it's a better frame - that's progress - the previous more horizontal top tube was far better looking. Shame Canyon have jumped on the Giant MTB look :roll:


+1. its such a nice Frame, but the degree of sloping is to much for my taste. not only in "xs", at least although in size "s".

http://blog-imgs-61.fc2.com/a/n/m/anma8 ... 5452a5.jpg

of course you are right, the previous Frame`s top tube was more horizontal, in all sizes.

the geometry Chart in german does not say anything about the top tube angle, sorry.
every Frame has more horizontal top tube in bigger sizes, thats out of question.

but thats a matter of taste.

not, that its important, but: how much extrá-weight causes the Expander-plug shown above?
thanks,
sorry vor mai bed englisch!

gr1
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed May 21, 2014 2:06 pm

by gr1

micropox

As someone who owns both an aeroad and an ultimate cf slx do you rate one over the other?

I really rate the look of the aeroad but there isn't much in the way of reviews out there. The ultimate cf slx gets rave reviews in many places so i would be interested in hearing your point if view.

GT56
Posts: 571
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:40 am
Location: Switzerland

by GT56

Krull wrote:
sawyer wrote:Nice build!

Like the internal cabling and the internal BB is cleaner

BUT, although I'm sure it's a better frame - that's progress - the previous more horizontal top tube was far better looking. Shame Canyon have jumped on the Giant MTB look :roll:


+1. its such a nice Frame, but the degree of sloping is to much for my taste. not only in "xs", at least although in size "s".

http://blog-imgs-61.fc2.com/a/n/m/anma8 ... 5452a5.jpg

of course you are right, the previous Frame`s top tube was more horizontal, in all sizes.

the geometry Chart in german does not say anything about the top tube angle, sorry.
every Frame has more horizontal top tube in bigger sizes, thats out of question.

but thats a matter of taste.



not, that its important, but: how much extrá-weight causes the Expander-plug shown above?


thanks,


indeed the slope of the XS top tube is quite dramatic

from S onwards things look more bearable though

Krull
Posts: 775
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2003 1:16 pm
Location: muc

by Krull

however: this is a really nice bike, and the degree of sloping a pure matter ot taste. maybe to much for me, but quite right for someone else.
sorry vor mai bed englisch!

roby0072
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:32 am

by roby0072

hi, "Micropox"
here is Roberto from Italy.
First thing, congratulation for Your Bike! The Canyon Ultimate CF SLX.
I like to buy the same bike from the Canyon website, but when I have to chose the frame size, the software they use suggest me a size "S 53". Your bike is a "XS 50" and is the size I like!
And I love the setting you have as well.
I like to have from you a suggestion:In my actual bike The saddle height is 72 cm from the top of the saddle to the center of the bottmom Bracket. Is it the same value is in your bike actually?
I am tall 169 cm and my inseam length is 82 do you think the size xl will be ok?

The problem is there is no way to my to see the bike before to buy it. This is the reason I ask to you.
Sorry for all the questions and thank You very much in advance for your suggestion.

Regards,
Roberto.

micropox
Posts: 265
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:50 pm

by micropox

roby0072 wrote:hi, "Micropox"
here is Roberto from Italy.
First thing, congratulation for Your Bike! The Canyon Ultimate CF SLX.
I like to buy the same bike from the Canyon website, but when I have to chose the frame size, the software they use suggest me a size "S 53". Your bike is a "XS 50" and is the size I like!
And I love the setting you have as well.
I like to have from you a suggestion:In my actual bike The saddle height is 72 cm from the top of the saddle to the center of the bottmom Bracket. Is it the same value is in your bike actually?
I am tall 169 cm and my inseam length is 82 do you think the size xl will be ok?

The problem is there is no way to my to see the bike before to buy it. This is the reason I ask to you.
Sorry for all the questions and thank You very much in advance for your suggestion.

Regards,
Roberto.


Hi Roberto,

My saddle height is also 72cm from the top of the saddle to the center of the BB. I am 173cm tall. So your bike will mostly likely look the same if you get XS. But you also need to verify your saddle to bar drop. Because you might end up with lots of stem spacer if your saddle to bar drop is less than i do.

Regards,
Micropox

roby0072
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:32 am

by roby0072

micropox wrote:Hi Roberto,

My saddle height is also 72cm from the top of the saddle to the center of the BB. I am 173cm tall. So your bike will mostly likely look the same if you get XS. But you also need to verify your saddle to bar drop. Because you might end up with lots of stem spacer if your saddle to bar drop is less than i do.

Regards,
Micropox


Hi Micropox,

I will check tomorrow my saddle to bar drop tomorrow.. thanks! Can You tell me if you remember what is yours?
and another question.. with a so compact frame How does you feel the bike when you go fast downhill?
You are very helpful to me!!

Thank You again,
Roberto.

CoppiCat1
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:33 pm

by CoppiCat1

Hi Micropox,

I've just created an account on these forums so that I can ask you a question. Any help that you give will be greatly appreciated. :-)

I have recently bought a 2nd hand Ultimate CF slx frame. I did not realise when I bought it that it had an unusual 1 1/4" steerer tube, severely limiting stem choice. I have been worried that I will not be able to achieve the saddle to bar drop that I want because I can't find a 1 1/4" stem with a 17 degree angle (so that the stem lies horizontally). As you know, Canyon only supply Ritchey stems with 6 degree rise. Finding your solution has given me hope!

Regarding the stem and shim:
1. Could you recommend the name of the machinists who created the shim?
2. What is the ballpark cost for having a unique shim made up?
3. Where did you purchase that stem for £49.99?

BTW fantastic bike.

FYI my frame is XL and is great for me apart from being a bit too tall at the headtube i.e too much stack. I have bought a low profile headset top piece from Canyon which should give me an extra 10mm-15mm drop when I replace the rather chunky stock headset.

Regards,

Oliver (London, UK)

beeatnik
Posts: 331
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:26 pm

by beeatnik

Isn't shimming a carbon steerer a no-no?

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post