Canyon Ultimate CF SLX 2013

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

CoppiCat1

by CoppiCat1

Hey beeatnik,

I understand that shimming inside the steerer tube could be a bad idea, but I wouldn't think a shim between steerer and stem could cause problems - as long as the shim is a good fit.

motorapido

by motorapido

First of all Micropox thats a nice looking ride,

Coppicat 1 there are a few options for stems in 1 1/4" but i couldn't guarantee they are all available in 17 degree options, the Specialized as fitted to Micropox's Canyon can be bought from several UK shops for £60. Other options are Syntace F109,which i have on my Ultimate SLX, FSA also did a stem i think it is F120, Ritchey, and 2014 Giant stems are predominantly 1 1/4" as well.
some of these options might suit. i hope this helps.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

micropox

by micropox

CoppiCat1 wrote:Hi Micropox,

I've just created an account on these forums so that I can ask you a question. Any help that you give will be greatly appreciated. :-)

I have recently bought a 2nd hand Ultimate CF slx frame. I did not realise when I bought it that it had an unusual 1 1/4" steerer tube, severely limiting stem choice. I have been worried that I will not be able to achieve the saddle to bar drop that I want because I can't find a 1 1/4" stem with a 17 degree angle (so that the stem lies horizontally). As you know, Canyon only supply Ritchey stems with 6 degree rise. Finding your solution has given me hope!

Regarding the stem and shim:
1. Could you recommend the name of the machinists who created the shim?
2. What is the ballpark cost for having a unique shim made up?
3. Where did you purchase that stem for £49.99?

BTW fantastic bike.

FYI my frame is XL and is great for me apart from being a bit too tall at the headtube i.e too much stack. I have bought a low profile headset top piece from Canyon which should give me an extra 10mm-15mm drop when I replace the rather chunky stock headset.

Regards,

Oliver (London, UK)

Hi CoppiCat1,

First, Canyon sells Ritchey 1 1/4" stem in 17 deg. I just got mine to replace my specialized stem (too heavy).

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c247/micropox/shim_zps16f0781e.jpg

Remove the ritchey logo using farm_lim's method, then put customize canyon decals.

Also, for the shim, i just gave the specialized stem together with a cut 1 1/4" steerer to the local machinist (manila, philippines). And just told him to make an aluminum shim that will make the stem fit the steerer. Cost me around USD50.

You can get the specialized stem at any Specialized Concept store in your country. I got my Specialized stem at Specialized Concept store in Hong Kong.

Hope that helps,

Micropox

cl9k24la

by cl9k24la

How did you get those Canyons in the Philippines? Nice builds BTW :beerchug:

CoppiCat1

by CoppiCat1

Hi Micropox,

Thanks for the reply. Good news that the 1 1/4" steerer -17 stems can be bought from Canyon. (Canyon UK had told me they don't sell -17 stems so this is why I was searching out alternatives)

I will contact Canyon in Germany to see if they can sell me one. Is this how you acquired yours?

Also, you say that the stem came with Ritchey branding but you removed it and applied a Canyon decal yourself? It looks very neatly done.

Regards ;-)

Also, thanks to motorapido for your reply.

micropox

by micropox

CoppiCat1 wrote:Hi Micropox,

Thanks for the reply. Good news that the 1 1/4" steerer -17 stems can be bought from Canyon. (Canyon UK had told me they don't sell -17 stems so this is why I was searching out alternatives)

I will contact Canyon in Germany to see if they can sell me one. Is this how you acquired yours?

Also, you say that the stem came with Ritchey branding but you removed it and applied a Canyon decal yourself? It looks very neatly done.

Regards ;-)

Also, thanks to motorapido for your reply.

Hi CoppiCat1,

Yes, just email Canyon Germany directly through their service center and ask about the stem. Make sure to tell them that the stem you need is for Canyon Ultimate CF SLX to avoid confusion.

The part number i got for the 1 1/4" Ritchey -17deg 130mm is A1043358WCS.

Yes, a trick taught by farm_lim :) using paint remover to remove ritchey logos.

micropox

by micropox

Here's my updated build.
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c247/micropox/20140905_084745_zps7af676c0.jpg
Mavic Cosmic Carbone 40c wheels
Canyon/Ritchey 17 deg stem
But Campy Record 10 Speed groupset still remains :).

Davelittle

by Davelittle

This is such a good build! Totally couldn't make my mind up between the SLX and the new Aeroad but this has pushed me over the edge. Defo the SLX! How tall are you if you don't mind me asking? Website has me on a small but looking at the dimensions compared to my current ride I think I could get away with the XS.

Thanks

marcello

by marcello

Davelittle wrote:This is such a good build! Totally couldn't make my mind up between the SLX and the new Aeroad but this has pushed me over the edge. Defo the SLX! How tall are you if you don't mind me asking? Website has me on a small but looking at the dimensions compared to my current ride I think I could get away with the XS.

Thanks

Posting a qoute from the TS:
"My saddle height is also 72cm from the top of the saddle to the center of the BB. I am 173cm tall"

@davelittle How tall are you? And what is your inseam?

sychen

by sychen

That's the exact setup I'm looking at for the next bike.... I'm 170cm with seat to bb of 67cm. yes I have short legs and long body.

Can't get the desired bar drop with current bike even with 17deg stem. Current bike has 130cm ht so need a bike with lower front end.

The aeroad with Xs might be a better fit with lower front end paired with normal headset.

Davelittle

by Davelittle

marcello wrote:
Davelittle wrote:This is such a good build! Totally couldn't make my mind up between the SLX and the new Aeroad but this has pushed me over the edge. Defo the SLX! How tall are you if you don't mind me asking? Website has me on a small but looking at the dimensions compared to my current ride I think I could get away with the XS.

Thanks

Posting a qoute from the TS:
"My saddle height is also 72cm from the top of the saddle to the center of the BB. I am 173cm tall"

@davelittle How tall are you? And what is your inseam?

I'm 173cm tall with a 78cm inseam... My current saddle height is 72.5 so back tracking through all the info I'm guessing the XS would be fine for me.

marcello

by marcello

@davelittle And...do you already ordered a Canyon?

ColnaRosa

by ColnaRosa

Nice bike man, but your saddle angel seems a little bit upward?

Davelittle

by Davelittle

marcello wrote:@davelittle And...do you already ordered a Canyon?

yes, ordered the Ultimate CF SLX in size small.

Should be here mid March

derek

by derek

How did you get the black Canyon logo to the stem: http://s28.photobucket.com/user/micropo ... 6.jpg.html

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com