Lynskey Sportive Disc, Hydraulics and Di2

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

quattrings

by quattrings

Hey Deev,

The thought you put into making this bike is something I can appreciate. Last year round I was building up this viewtopic.php?f=10&t=115069

Somehow I reckognize that process of carefull planning, trial and error assembly. That satisfaction though when riding something you put so much effort into...
Terrific bike man :thumbup:

Deev

by Deev

Thanks Quattrings, it's good to get comments from like-minded folk. Some people don't get bikes like these.

I like your thread - your bike is really well thought out and is nicely understated. I have lots of time for brave 'subway' photos too - I might steal that idea! In a parallel universe, yours is how mine might have turned out as I seriously looked at using flat bars and internal gears but settled on wanting Ti which limited the options in the end.

I'm interested to know what the Alfine is like compared to a Di2 setup. I guess you need to ride one for a few months before you really find out.

Nice touch on the plug too (I'd have liked one of those) and an even nicer touch with the rear brake mount - that really is superb!

Did you get carbon brakes in the end?

For info and if you're considering it, the Supernova rear light is excellent, a real piece of user-friendly art.

The problem with my Lynskey is that as I know it can handle pretty much everything, I've been riding it on everything and the tyres aren't up to it so am considering maybe a new set of wheels with grippier 25-28mm tyres or maybe even a CX bike! More expense!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

-Robin-

by -Robin-

Are you certain you can fit 28mm tires in combination with fenders. Their website says it's limited to 23mm tires when using fenders (and 28 without)

Deev

by Deev

I don't know, but there is seemingly ample clearance.

I've got a pair of 25s to try, so I guess I'll find out the hard way!

quattrings

by quattrings

Deev wrote:Thanks Quattrings, it's good to get comments from like-minded folk. Some people don't get bikes like these.

I like your thread - your bike is really well thought out and is nicely understated. I have lots of time for brave 'subway' photos too - I might steal that idea! In a parallel universe, yours is how mine might have turned out as I seriously looked at using flat bars and internal gears but settled on wanting Ti which limited the options in the end.

I'm interested to know what the Alfine is like compared to a Di2 setup. I guess you need to ride one for a few months before you really find out.

Nice touch on the plug too (I'd have liked one of those) and an even nicer touch with the rear brake mount - that really is superb!

Did you get carbon brakes in the end?

For info and if you're considering it, the Supernova rear light is excellent, a real piece of user-friendly art.

The problem with my Lynskey is that as I know it can handle pretty much everything, I've been riding it on everything and the tyres aren't up to it so am considering maybe a new set of wheels with grippier 25-28mm tyres or maybe even a CX bike! More expense!

Hey Deev,

I felt that way too, these bikes were constructed with the same purpose in mind. They are pretty anti-weenie and that's probably why they aren't getting a lot of love here. Ti is something I always liked but there were budget restraints but hopefully one day :wink:
Alfine is nice but it has to be noted it adds resistance to the drivetrain. It does however mean less maintenance and cleaning. Shifting is nice and quick especially on slower climbs you can still shift very fast.
The Supernova rear light is already installed on my bike, it's so tiny you probably missed it on the photo's :D Supernova's equipment has been suberb, I have the E3 triple in front which gives a really wide beam and incredible light output. Do you have the E3 with terraflux lens?

I'll try to update my topic as there have been some interesting developments. Carbon brakes are still something I'm considering (during summer months only) but haven't pulled the trigger.

Also looking forward to that bike Dammit is building.

Deev

by Deev

Yes, I did miss the rear light and still am missing it. Where did you mount it?

I do indeed have the E3 terraflux. Not the brightest but perfect on the road with not a single car having flashed its lights at me yet.

What's the Shimano dynamo hub like? I was looking at getting one for a spare wheelset.

quattrings

by quattrings

Untitled by Quattrings, on Flickr

It's tucked away nicely under the seat. :wink: I drilled both clamps of the thomson post and fed the cable through the post, bb and it exits through a hole near the headtube.
Shimano's alfine dyno hub is nice in the sense that it creates it's maximum power output at something like 8kph. It has a slight notchey feel to it. It's heavy too but it's cheap. I studied up on the dyno hubs last year and the comparison showed the supernova infinity 8 to have the least resistance. Actually it was a rebranded infinity 8 that scored even better, but this probably means the seals are inferior.

If only Shimano would release a road disc lever without sti integrated shifting or DI2. I had considered doing the Hope conversion too but it just felt like adding an unnecessary link in a chain, only to wind up with a potential failure point.
It was initially my plan to build a custom drop bar to integrate alfine disc brakes using different coupling on the levers to reroute the hoses. But with all the other tasks at the time I compromised and went with the flat bar and (bleeding) Avid elixirs, as I already owned the bleed kit and they were cheap. I regret not going the extra distance though and if I get around to it, I'd still like to give that a shot.

Deev

by Deev

I might get a Shimano hub then and rebuild these rims on to them as they're pinned and quite heavy. I want a centrelock on there again as well. The dynamo hub I've got is the aforementioned rebranded Infinity. So far so good, cheap because they do zero marketing I think.

I thought long and hard about the Hope conversion but went for it anyway. I did have concerns about the tiny brass stop thing but its been fine. For me I like the fact that unlike the STI units, its tucked out of the way and immune from impacts. Performance is still variable though, possibly do to the fact that I hold the levers near the pivot. I'll be putting a 180mm rotor on there soon to give a bit more bite and also to sort out the spoke clearance issue that I've got.

I think it'll be a long wait for a hydraulic road lever from Shimano!

Deev

by Deev

One thing that has always annoyed me about the Lynskey is that the buttons are the wrong way round and it's counter-intuitive compared to the mechanical STI units.

As I'm Di2ing my other bikes, I decided to update the firmware on my Di2 system with a EW90-B and internal charger system.

It's all straight-forward with Shimano's excellent software and it was very easy to alter all the buttons to do whatever I wanted them to do. There is even an option for mult-shift on the RD. I set this to full auto and normal speed.

When I put everything back together the RD was only shifting singles and, after a lot of plugging and unplugging, I found out that the battery mount wasn't being recognised by the software and looks to be defective, in spite of it working with the Di2 system as a standalone just fine. After an internet search, it seems like other people with Di2 have encountered this problem so hopefully it's a warranty job.

In spite of this, this was an easy fix for a major annoyance and am looking forward to the morning commute to try it out.

Deev

by Deev

It's been a while since I posted anything about my Sportive, so I thought I'd share an update.

Basically, I've been unglamourously riding the Lynskey to and from work all winter, and apart from the stem fiasco, only three noteworthy things have happened.

1) The anodising has rubbed off the driveside crank, quite badly too. I feel vindicated on my conservative crank choice!

2) I shredded the rear GP4000 on some gravel so swapped it for some nasty rubber I had in my spares box.

3) I whacked something metallic on the A38 in the dark and not only shredded the other GP4000, but also put an impressive dent in the rim. A quick fettle on the wheel jig and it's as good as new, apart from being dented.

It desperately needs a service as the transmission is totally black. It still shifts almost perfectly though! A spell of good weather means I can take my time and do a proper job.

My new front XT dynamo hub has arrived, so a task to do over the summer is to rebuild that hub on to my dented rim and lace up a set of grey H plus sons.

The light was really good tonight, so I took the opportunity to take a sultry sunset shot of the bike on the beach.

TrevisL

by TrevisL

Interesting how in the customisation process a few little differences can produce such a very different result. I have also built a Sportive Disc with hydro and Di2, but the retro styling gives a really different end result to your beauty.

I did some documentation of what was my first build at http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=77979

Cheers
TC

jhamlin38

by jhamlin38

one of my favorite posts on this forum. really nice job of describing the details. and an equally beautiful result.

Deev

by Deev

Hi TC,

You are quite right, they do look quite different. To me though, 'Liittle differences' is stretching it, as it looks like the only think that your Di2C and mine have in common are the frame and groupset - the wheels, tyres, saddle, bars, bar tape, cranks, brake rotors, seat post, fork, headset, stem, lights, mudguards, seatpost and pedals are different.

Interesting that you've not opted for the Lynskey Endurance fork - I don't like mine as it put the front end too high. It does slow the steering down though, which is a good thing in winter I suppose. Also - how do you get on with those small rotors? My 160s aren't really up to stopping my 90kg!

Dave

TrevisL

by TrevisL

OK I'll give in to the differences :) Perhaps just conceptually similar with titanium, dyno, Di2 and discs...

I only have a 140 on the rear and a 160 on the front. I was going to go 140 on both but couldn't find a way to put 140 on the front. In comparison to the rubber on my CF these discs are stopping me on a five cent piece so I am more than happy. You must be pushing it harder around corners than I. I am around 80kg and could still happily lock up if I tried when pushing up over 30kmh. The hydro has given me back a lot of the braking "touchy feely" I have on my mountain bike, rather than the more "on or off" feeling of the calipers on my old road bike. Love 'em.

Must say I didn't want those big plates taking too much away from the retro look.

In terms of the forks I wanted keep to the all silver/chrome look so I went with the Tange Prestige disc forks, which also has that old school feel to them. They have the same angle as the Lynskey carbon fork, but it just looks more because of where they put the bend. You can hopefully see them in this pic. Once I got the pressure right on the 28mm tyres they are sweet. The whole bike feels much softer than my Giant CF forks and doesn't drill every bump in the road through my body. I do like a slightly higher position though with the bars, at 6' 3" I don't want to contort myself to get my nose down. Maybe I am just getting old...

Deev

by Deev

Could you find a pair of silver cranks - that would help with the retro look?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com