Old and new Wilier Zero7 : 4,96kg + 4,86 kg now finished

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Martin1977

by Martin1977

So the rest of component arrived and bike will hopefully be bulit soon.

Here are the missing pieces.

MCFK stem and Schmolke TLO bars nicely bonded together by Jure Berk:

Seatpost and saddle combo, also from Jure Berk:

And finaly custom seatpost collar. This one is just 10,7mm high to fit my frame:

And just for comparison. Another combo made by Zdenek Cermak. This one will be used on my old LOOK 361. It is made from Schmolke TLO and Extralite stem. Combination of Extralite and Schmolke was not stiff enough for me, so I asked Zdenek Cermak to join them together to increase stiffness. This combination is cca 30g heavier than Jure's combo, but there is a LOT of carbon, so I hope it is going to be stiff. Just for comparison:

And both combos together:

New bike shall be build by the end of this week. When it is finished and when here will be nice weather to také pictures, I'll post final pictures and of course detailed description with weights.

Martin

EvoUltimate

by EvoUltimate

Awesome parts. I really like the combo Berk did.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

djconnel

by djconnel

Great!
Glad your braking is good. With Zero Gravity Brakes, Swissstop yellow pads, and Edge 200 rims it's really dicey, but that's because rims aren't smooth. With Enve rims (which are a bit heavier) it's better. I went through two of the Edge rims, but now I'm down to one Enve and one Edge, the remaining Edge rim developing a warp.

I love the weight on that frame!

tuba

by tuba

the stem/bar combos look amazing, what is the weight?

audiophilitis

by audiophilitis

Very well thought out build. Also gets high marks in the "aesthetics" category.

mythical

by mythical

Would be great to see this bike rebuilt. Am curious too see if it'll lose more weight.
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

Martin1977

by Martin1977

Thanks for comments.
Things got a little more complicated with cables, but everything should be solved on Monday. I hoped to have bike built up on Friday, but there were some problems with FD adjustment. I hope I solved the problem, so I'm going to install and adjust all the cables tomorrow and because I do not have torque wrench, I'm bringing bike to local shop on Monday to do all the final settings.

According to my calculations, I should loose some weight and first measurements confirmed this. Not adjusted properly, but with all the components on except bar tape, Parktool scale showed 4,80 and 4,82 kg. So with LizardSkins 1.8, I hope to get final weight around 4,86 kg.

Schmolke 42 c-c TLO OS bars were 145g. MCFK 110 mm 3K stem was 86g. Final combo after Jure's work was 223g
Seatpost and saddle combo completely done by Jure (no Schmolke tube this time) was 120g

Complete build list, weights and photos will come once bike is ready to be riden. Hopefully at the beginning of next week.

I'm really happy how bike looks with all the components on. Maybe I'll take some "preview" pictures tomorrow without bar tape and without final adjustments. Just to show, how everything looks together.

Martin

Martin1977

by Martin1977

So I installed all the cables and set everything up today. I did first 1-2 slow kilometers today to adjust saddle height, shifters position and shifting. Complete bike looks really nice and I'm happy with result.

Tomorow I'm bringing bike to local shop to have all the bolts torqued to exact numbers and install bar tape. Than I'll put complete bike on scale and take final pictures with low and high wheels.

First "preview" pictures:

More and better photos will follow soon together with build list and weights of components.

First weight without bartape was 4,81 kg.

Martin

perrap

by perrap

WOW!

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

Excellent build.

Sorry to hear about the accident and the injury, but it looks like the time off gave you some time to focus on the new bike, and it is splendid!
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

fletch62

by fletch62

I not a big fan of completely black 'stealth' bikes, but this one is so well done, i like it.
Only thing that bothers me is the red front derailleur hanger. Stands out like dogs b......

Martin1977

by Martin1977

I finaly finished my new bike, so here is the final build list with weights:

Frame: Wilier Zero7 L – 850g
Fork: Wilier Zero7 – 350g
Head Set: Ritchey WCS – 76g
Seatpost and saddle: Jure Berk – 120g
Seatpost collar: Zcomponents – 5g
Expander and top cup: Tune GumGum + Zcomponents top cap – 15g
Headset spacer: Zcomponents 10mm – 2g
Stem: MCFK 110mm 3K – 86g
Bars: Schmolke TLO OS 42cm c-c – 145g
Bars and stem combo from Jure Berk – 223g
Crank: THM Clavicula, chainrings Fibre-lyte, screws Carbon-Ti, THM BB – 496g
Brakes: AX Lightness Orion, Corima pads, custom carbon Powercordz clamps – 119g
Shifters: Campagnolo Super Record: 320g (metal bar clamps replaced with custom carbon ones, drilled few holes into body)
RD: Campagnolo Super Record (carbon pulleys from ZComponents and carbon rear plate from FibreLyte): 145g
FD: Campagnolo Super Record: 72g
Cassete: Recon Alu Black 11-23 with lockring: 107g
Chain: Campagnolo Record: cca 240g
Powercordz – cca 12g
Cables: Aligator I-link – cca 85g
Rims: Archteks – 268g+269g
Spokes: Sapim Superspoke front and CX Ray rear: cca 210g
Hubs: Tune mig45 and mag170 – cca 45g + 180g
Wheels in total – 995g
Tubulars: Vittoria Crono Evo 320 TPI: 2x 190g
Pedals: Mavic Zxellium SLR Ti – 155g
Glue: Vittoria – cca 25g
Tape: Lizardskins 1.8 - cca 50g
Cages: Tune Uni + Schmolke carbon screws: cca 35g

Alternative wheels: ZIPP 808 Firecrest + Vittoria Corsa CX + Swiss Stop Black Prince Evo pads

Final weight: 4,86 kg.

A few changes has been done compared to my first Zero7. I ordered custom seatpost collar to fit new frame. New one is just 10,7mm high and saves 20g compared to standard seatpost collar that comes with frame. Easy way to save 20g.
New seatpost and saddle combo is completely done by Jure Berk and saddle shape is AX Sprint. I didn't use Schmolke tube this time. Not that I was not happy with previous one, but I needed to build whole new bike after the crash and Schmolke tube was too expensive. So I've tried combo completely done by Jure. After first about 200km, I'm happy with saddle shape. This combo is 12g heavier, than first one with Schmolke tube, so maybe in the future I'll buy one more Schmolke tube and have one more combo done by Jure :-)
Bars and stem combo is great! It is about 45g lighter than my original Schmolke TLO 26mm bars and Tune 110mm stem. And it is also stiffer than my original combination. I'm quite heavy with my 90kg and you are not allowed to tighten stem more than 4 Nm with Schmolke bars. So When I hit some pothole, bars sometimes moved in stem a little, which was annoying. This combination is amazing and bars can not move anymore. Greatest improvement in performance on my new bike. I really recommend this combo to heavier riders.
Another quite dramatic change was Recon Alu cassette. After my first experience with alu cassette about 2 years ago, I didn't want any alu cassette anymore. But weight loss was quite dramatic compared to standard SR cassette. And because Recon has quite good reviews here on WW forum, I decided to try Recon alu black cassette. So far, I have just something like 100km on it, but my first impressions are good. Shifting is fast and reliable. To be honest, new cassette works even better than my Campagnolo SR cassette on ZIPPs. So the only question is, how long it will last. But after first kilometers on it, I'm happy with the performance.
Next weight drop comes from pedals. I changed LOOK Keo Blade Ti to Mavic Zxellium SLR Ti. Or lets say Time pedals. I know there were some issues with theese pedals and I've seen few of them cracked. But according to information I have, there is no problem with waranty, so I decided to try them. And I bought Mavic instead of Time just because the graphics on Mavics is more subtle compared to Time pedals.
And the last weight save was on RD. I replaced pulleys with carbon pulleys from Zcomponents and rear plate from FibreLyte. I saved few gramms and I do not expect to change performance of RD. I'm curious how long will those carbon pulleys last.

And here are some pictures of my new dream bike:

Jure's combo:

Seatpost collar and I-links. You can see, that I used 4x1,5 mm o-rings as frame protection instead of frame stickers:

Front end of my new bike:

Bars and stem combo:

Powercordz clamp and the way it is attached to brake:

Here You can see, that I used Swiss Stop Black Prince Evo pads with ZIPPs:

Tune U20 QR:

Rear brake with Corima pads and low wheels:

RD:

Clavicula crank, FibreLyte rings, Mavic pedals:

Complete bike with ZIPPs outdoors:

Complete bike indoors:

I hope You like it :-)

Martin

Dick

by Dick

Just...... Wow!!!

Particularly love the shallow wheelset - how do you find they handle?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

supermidget

by supermidget

Beautiful build! I have to agree it looks better with shallower wheels!