Scott Spark 1x10 lefty 18.98lbs (8572g)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

devinci wrote:HUmm, the product does'nt seem too bad for the skin or does'nt have that much of hard fumes BUT on my white frame it was working very poorly only lifting a thin layer of paint. I actually had to sand the whole frame because the carbolift was so bad.

I think it is common on white paint.

Thanks for the feedback. that's exactly what I've found on other discussions. Doesn't do well on white.

devinci

by devinci

andreszucs wrote:
devinci wrote:what method did you use to debadge the crank arms?

Sand paper paying attention to STOP when reaching the carbon, I started with a 120 grade and finished with 400. Krylon Matte (mine) or Glossy finish as you wish for protection.

can you please expand on krylion matte? Where can I get that?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

I think I got on Home Depot.

painless

by painless

nice wheel.

could you please how did you make to work sram gripshifter with shimano xtr derailleur?
With style, petite, with style...

DanW

by DanW

Got to echo everyone else's comments about the great looking bike and awesome attention to detail and creativity.

It will sound weird (since there is so much great stuff in this build) but my favourite components I have picked up from this thread is the pedals. Just got myself a set of Xpedo XMF08TT at 215g for less than £90 and their function is 10 times better than the XTR pedals they replaced. Sealed bearing are nice, no more wobbly axles from the stupid loose bearings and the Xpedo seem far better in mud- no clogging and actually stay supportive whereas the XTR would become sloppy and the connection with the shoe would feel "icy" at the first hint of dampness.

Would you be able to post the latest full spec? My simple mind is struggling to visualise all of the changes and final weights :)

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

andreszucs wrote:
devinci wrote:HUmm, the product does'nt seem too bad for the skin or does'nt have that much of hard fumes BUT on my white frame it was working very poorly only lifting a thin layer of paint. I actually had to sand the whole frame because the carbolift was so bad.

I think it is common on white paint.

Thanks for the feedback. that's exactly what I've found on other discussions. Doesn't do well on white.

Doens't do well on any color really. I used it on the clear coat of a Scott CR1 and the result was very poor.

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

painless wrote:nice wheel.

could you please how did you make to work sram gripshifter with shimano xtr derailleur?

Its working well...but I have to say not perfect. I get a small delay in one gear a believe between the 24 and 28. Setup Its border line but I like!
Last edited by andreszucs on Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

DanW wrote:Got to echo everyone else's comments about the great looking bike and awesome attention to detail and creativity.

It will sound weird (since there is so much great stuff in this build) but my favourite components I have picked up from this thread is the pedals. Just got myself a set of Xpedo XMF08TT at 215g for less than £90 and their function is 10 times better than the XTR pedals they replaced. Sealed bearing are nice, no more wobbly axles from the stupid loose bearings and the Xpedo seem far better in mud- no clogging and actually stay supportive whereas the XTR would become sloppy and the connection with the shoe would feel "icy" at the first hint of dampness.

Would you be able to post the latest full spec? My simple mind is struggling to visualise all of the changes and final weights :)

Thanks!....only success so far with these Xpedo's.

There is a discrepancy of 111g from this table (8597g) against real 8908g I think because I never had a chance to weight to frame only...1790g on table is just a theory.

DanW

by DanW

Thanks for posting up the break down, it really helps with inspiring others just looking for that last gem or two of a component to finish a build :beerchug:

There is a discrepancy of 111g from this table (8597g) against real 8908g

Isn't that 311g? Not that it matters, just curious. I was super careful to include weight of grease and so on when building my Scalpel but still ended up in the same position as you re total weight. Grrrrr :D

Some possible changes?
Seatclamp: Mt Zoom -35g, £15
Lefty adapter: Leonardi -36g, £40
Handlebar: Mt Zoom -40g, £80
Grips: Foam -30g, £5

~140g saved for ~£140? Those would be the things that jump out although there must be good reasons for the components on at present. Otherwise I guess weight savings start to get quite minimal and very expensive (e.g. different wheels or Lefty). You could go for an XX cassette for example but I don't hear good things about the durability compared to XTR :? If it is hard to find improvements then that looks like a job well done :D Do you have any future changes in mind?

Also, how have you been getting on with the Michelin tyres? Any plusses or negatives in relation to the Racing Ralphs? I love the Ralphs in Summer but dropping nearly 100g is always nice! 40g of sealant isn't very much so I am assuming the seal well too????

Great looking bike as ever! :thumbup:

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

Typo on the weight difference. I believe the theoretical frame weight is way off...since mine is a large, might be over 1900 by itself.
I built this bike primarily refusing myself to include boutique parts. If I decide to give away that kind of money would need to be something very good! I seriously considered upgrading my cassette to 11-38 KCNC Ti ($480)..This would not only shave good weight but also increase my gear range and on top of that its Titanium... I want to believe is very durable!...but would shave some good weight on my bank account too :shock:

Seat Clamp, I still like the lever option, just easy to deal with the bike during trail and to fit inside cars...that's just me.
Lefty clamp...too much money!!! but I love looking at them on-line drooling over it!
I would compare these Michelin Wild Race'r Ultimate with Furious Fred instead of RRalph's. I used Fred's before and I find the Michelin's with much more grip for the same weight category. Still need to ride more on them to check on durability.

To tell you the true I stopped upgrading and will be for a while...have some other financial priorities, but is hard! passion for bikes sometimes can make me do some irrational purchases...need to be strong! :wink:

vfb

by vfb

Cool bike! not like all the others :thumbup:

May i ask where you found that stem? I am looking for the exact same stem but can only find it in -6 degrees, but i need one i -17. Thank you!
I ride for fun

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

vfb wrote:Cool bike! not like all the others :thumbup:

May i ask where you found that stem? I am looking for the exact same stem but can only find it in -6 degrees, but i need one i -17. Thank you!

Thanks! Got it on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid= ... &_from=R40

vfb

by vfb

thank you! Seems like i cant get the white -17 in Europe, hmmm need to think :-)
I ride for fun

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

Its been a while without upgrades. Latest features are PROTI Fully Forged Bolts, picked gold color to match with some other components:

For the Lefty fork clamp, perfect fitting!

Also some on the frame and shock

Bottle cage bolts, pretty sweet

Stem

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

Started a new and apparently long project...I decided to strip the paint off my spark frame, after running the blade for the first time...I realized how long this task will be! Paint was old and a couple of scratches so it will worth the work. Meanwhile I put this bike together so I have a bike to ride....on a nice and classic carbon flash FR frame. Obviously I would pick some other components and colors to go with this frame, also the fork doesn't have to be XL clamp. End result is still great...and light!!! 17lbs.
ImageImage
Last edited by andreszucs on Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.