Dekerf Team SST, 2012

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

EightySixer

by EightySixer

Well Quinn- Seems we both have the same kind of thinking. I want to go 1 x on my Voodoo that I just had painted.

I was running Sram XO last year, 3x taken down to 2x but I had issues with the setup.
Xo rear and gripshift with an XT front and RaceFace x Wickwerks crankset. Just couldn't get the damn thing dialed in so out of frustration I swapped everything back to a single setup.

I like your setup and was looking at the RF chainrings earlier this week in the shop. Does it hold the chain well? I dropped way too much last year, I want to just get rid of the front mech. if it will erase that issue.

The XO rear mech is a long cage, I know I'll have to run a short or mid but I'm wondering if I should even bother trying to run it 1x9 with a wide/narrow up front and the 11-34 XO cassette.. or just get xx1 or xo1? I don't really want to drop a grand on a new group because the Ridley isn't even complete yet but then again, I want to do it right.

Thanks in advance man.
Nice rig you have there too.

Quinn039

by Quinn039

Thanks, its been a work in progress for a while now and I absolutely love it. I like my bikes to be a little unique.

anyway, haven't had a single dropped chain since taking off my guide when i got my new crank and ring. I run this 1x9 with a PC991 and a PG990. I've raced it hard, crashed it hard (in those races), hopped and dropped it off all kinds of things, and shifted under load repeatedly. Yet to have a hiccup. I dunno what length cage ive got on there... bought my shifters and derailleurs about 6 years ago... but its just a basic XT shadow, no clutch or anything. Im sold on narrow-wide and I've got the legs/terrain to run a 32 tooth ring on an 11-32, so I've been very happy. so a similar set up to your plans but using a shimano mech over a sram one...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tomvin90

by tomvin90

Quinn,

Nice bike! I was interested in knowing more about your lower headset race setup? looks a little strange, is that a bearing sitting below the lower race or some sort of shim/offset washer etc..

Quinn039

by Quinn039

Hey tom, thanks!
In answer to your question, that's a 5mm King race/spacer. It replaces the original race to give around 5mm (a little less in actuality) of extra lift between the frame and the fork crown. The reason for it is that Fox crowns/knobs and Dekerf frames (the SST and Elysium in particular) dont play nice and the fork will hit the downtube without the tall race. The part comes directly from King and is the solution that around 10 of our customers (and my fellow employees) bikes have employed for these frame/fork combinations. Dunno about other suspension manufacturers forks as, for our area at least, if you buy a Dekerf you buy a Fox. However, older model floats (2009-10ish, dont have the same issue... the FIT's and CTD's seem to be the things that cause the issue)
Hope that clears things up for ya!

Quinn039

by Quinn039

Update!

Changes over the past year or so have been minor... but they include:

Thomson Elite---------> Thomson Masterpiece

SDG Bel Air Ti---------> Selle Italia XC Flow

Finned Pads-----------> Alu backed, unfinned

Old tube--------------> Lizard Skin

Oury Lock-ons--------> SRAM foam lock-ons

Conti Schrader tubes--> Maxxis Ultra lite presta

PC 991 hollowpin------> PC 991 solidpin

Steel bolts------------> Alu bolt (cages, CS/SS)

Weight is now 10.2kg or 22.5lbs

Will post some better pictures when we have less snow.