2013 Trek Madone Five Series Project

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Fisherfreerider

by Fisherfreerider

The compression plug is absolutely necessary, you also need to run a 5mm spacer ABOVE and below the stem on Trek carbon steerers.
Attachments
Stem.JPG

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Martin1977

by Martin1977

OK, support of fork against stem pressure teoreticaly makes sense. But again, how many of WW members use Gum Gum without any problems? I use it and I do not have any single problém with it. And Gum Gum does not bear any pressure for sure. On my old Look, I have something what we call hedgehog in Czech. It just has "spikes" to adjust headset, but again, it is absolutely not able to support any pressure. I spent about 10 years on my LOOK without single problem. Another point is, that every compression plug I saw, was inserted BELOW stem inside fork, so It also can not support fork against pressure of stem.

For sure, I do not know details about all forks available, so If manufacturer recomends to use it, I would use it. But any good fork should be able to bear stem pressure without any problem and should be tested to be safe. If not, I would never buy frameset like that. Just to be sure, that everything is durable enough. All the parts on my sub 5 kg bike have recomended rider weight > 100 kg. And Gum Gum is just piece of rubber and silicone. And I believe, that company like Tune would never sell something dangerous or unsafe.

This is how i see it

Martin

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

I believe the "hedgehog" was for steel steerers, no?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Martin1977

by Martin1977

Yes it was. I'm no mechanic, but I had something similar in my LOOK HSC3 carbon fork. I think it was not as sharp as those for steel forks, but when I looked into my fork, it had some kind of "spokes". Definitely not anything like recent solid compression plugs. It couldn't bear any load. I never cared about what is inside, but when I started to build WW bikes, I started to be more curious :D
I never had any problem, so there was no reason to look inside.

I discussed it with my mechanic, but fork had 1'' steerer. So I left it inside, because I do not believe I could get anything lighter suitable for 1''. But my mechanic told me, that when I want to remove it, I should hit it with screwdriver and it will fall apart.

TrekUk
Shop Owner

by TrekUk

Ill probably just leave the plug in tbh. Ive ordered the DA9010 front brake so that will be the next update next week.

Apart from doing the brakes to DA-9010 brakes there isnt much more I will be doing to this bike, pretty much done everything I can. Ive spent alot on some Pearl Izumi Elite clothing and when the evenings start getting darker I will be buying a decent exposure front light.
Madone Five Series 2013
Shimano Dura-Ace 9000
Mavic Cosmic SLE 2013

TrekUk
Shop Owner

by TrekUk

Here is the BR-9010 front brake on the scales with hardware and pads for exact weight. Someone quoted that the DA brakes were 30g per brake lighter than Bontragers standard.

First impressions are the brake certainly looks a premium brake on the bike, its stunning!

I will get a fitted picture later but unfortunately last night was knocked off the bike in a hit and run with a car full of young kids, fortunately I got a number plate and will be making a statement today with the fuzz!

I came off okay with just a couple of grazes, but that nice new DA9000 crank and rear mech now have some minor scuffing! Im hoping this can be replaced at somepoint further into the investigation.

And the origional brake.....

Madone Five Series 2013
Shimano Dura-Ace 9000
Mavic Cosmic SLE 2013

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Great stuff, must cost a bomb huh...

mattjevans

by mattjevans

TrekUk wrote:Ill probably just leave the plug in tbh. Ive ordered the DA9010 front brake so that will be the next update next week.

Apart from doing the brakes to DA-9010 brakes there isnt much more I will be doing to this bike, pretty much done everything I can. Ive spent alot on some Pearl Izumi Elite clothing and when the evenings start getting darker I will be buying a decent exposure front light.

Have a look at these if you're thinking about lights. I got an X2 for mtb'ing over winter.

http://www.crgmoto.co.uk/mountain-bike-lights-26-c.asp

mattjevans

by mattjevans

TrekUk wrote:I have to agree with the above two comments, I don't believe its structural, i'm considering removing it again, id be interested in some constructive views.

You know what you're doing. I say get rid of it. It's not "structural" once the stem is properly installed.

Just keep a spare in the toolbox in case you need to adjust the stem.

TrekUk
Shop Owner

by TrekUk

My main focus for the bike right now is to find the culprits who did a RTA hit and run on me that left my new components with cosmetic damage, my aim is to have these replaced with new again all be it these are only a few weeks old i'm entitled to having them replaced as long as they are insured.
Madone Five Series 2013
Shimano Dura-Ace 9000
Mavic Cosmic SLE 2013

mattjevans

by mattjevans

TrekUk wrote:My main focus for the bike right now is to find the culprits who did a RTA hit and run on me that left my new components with cosmetic damage, my aim is to have these replaced with new again all be it these are only a few weeks old i'm entitled to having them replaced as long as they are insured.

Saw that above. Terrible. At least no damage to you (though I'd be bl**dy annoyed about the components myself...)

TrekUk
Shop Owner

by TrekUk

A couple of pictures of the DA-9010 Brake, there is a compatibility issue with the mavic exalith pads and the screw that supports the pad when in place, the screw is at the wrong end of the brake block, if that makes any sense. No big issue though.

Madone Five Series 2013
Shimano Dura-Ace 9000
Mavic Cosmic SLE 2013

RTJohnson

by RTJohnson

Looking good with that brake now! nearly done ;)

TrekUk
Shop Owner

by TrekUk

One more to go....
Madone Five Series 2013
Shimano Dura-Ace 9000
Mavic Cosmic SLE 2013

TrekUk
Shop Owner

by TrekUk

Today I picked up a set of 4000s tyres, had my eye on these for along time and with the mavics coming in at 22mm wide I opted for something wider, and im a bit of a black chilli fanboy.

Madone Five Series 2013
Shimano Dura-Ace 9000
Mavic Cosmic SLE 2013

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com