Trek 5200 Rebuild (Updated Finished Photos p.3)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

JDLBB

by JDLBB

I've had my bike for a few years and saw a couple rebuilds on here and got inspired. I'm planning on going with a white outline decal with a glossy clear coat on top. So far I've taken it apart and got it wet sanded a little.

Last edited by JDLBB on Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LouisN

by LouisN

JDLBB,

:welcome: to Weightweenies !!!

Nice project :thumbup:

Can't help to loooove the bike rack :beerchug: ...

Did you think about not completely tighten the last "elbow" to accomodate all frame angles ?

Louis :)

JDLBB

by JDLBB

Thanks. Actually all the elbows are tight enough to be stable but have enough play to move the frame to pretty much any position I need it to be in. Image

majklnajt

by majklnajt

Looks like Trek frames are "top shit" for nude carbon look :beerchug:

Cool bike rack :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

artray

by artray

Here we go again , great stuff . Look forward to the build . :thumbup:

1spd

by 1spd

I definitely like the Naked look! :mrgreen:
Cannondale Synapse (alu)...it works

artray

by artray

1spd wrote:I definitely like the Naked look! :mrgreen:

Are you sure your talking about bikes :lol:

yrodriguez317

by yrodriguez317

maybe someone can shine some light on this trend. I love the frames and i love them in the nude, but i feel like there have been more and more of these.

artray

by artray

Maybe there is just a lot of old treks out there and they do look pretty cool nude. You can pick one up pretty cheap and there very aggressive looking frames short head tube etc etc . A lot of the cycle makers now aim for the sportive riders . "If you can't bend down drive a car " :lol:

munk93

by munk93

I think it's great apart from the fact that it's becoming a bit too "mainstream" :wink: I don't know if anyone stripped down a Trek before dcj9 . He was the one that inspired me to build my Madone SL.

Timo

by Timo

Indeed naked Madones are almost mandatory these days
And if I ever meet an aardvark, I'm going to step on its damn protruding nasal implement until it couldn't suck up an insect if its life depended on it.

JDLBB

by JDLBB

I honestly just wanted something new but didnt have the money to buy a new bike all at once. What I do have is the time and my old trek. Easy decision. And as "mainstream" as they may be becoming, each one is unique in its own respect and when someone sees it they know its not just some factory model and I must have put a lot of time and hard work into it, and if I work that hard on my bike, imagine how hard I train :wink:

munk93

by munk93

Well Okay, mainstream might be a bit extreme. We might as well just call it a small "boom" on WW. I haven't seen one in Denmark yet.
And besides that, WW is sharing your ideas and thoughts, so others are also able to build a cool bike.
A new quostion could be "why only old Trek-frames?" Sure they can't be the only ones revealing some cool carbon-work. Well there have been a few others, but not anyway near the "Trek-fever" we have at the moment.

And of course not to be to much of an Off T'er. Your frame looks great. I can highly recommend you some clear coat- spray (Don't know the exact name for such a thing), and a drop by a graphic designer, for some Trek stickers. The clearcoat gives a much more detailed an beautiful(IMO) view of the carbon, than if you just leave the matte carbon finish.

JDLBB

by JDLBB

I cant speak for all the rebuilds but I went with trek because its what I had already. I havent decided if I want to try and clear coat it myself or take it to a local paint shop and have them do it. As far as a decal I was thinking this in white http://www.velocals.com/servlet/the-439/2003-Trek-outline-letters/Detail

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BmanX

by BmanX

I can see why these frames are liked. They were pretty light in their time and still pretty light. Stripped down they look great and you could build up a very cool and light bike with some downtube shifters. I would like to build a trainer bike with a single down tube shifter and a single front ring.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades