Hello. First post - Old racer - newbie weightweenie :)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

edesigner

by edesigner

Hello and am introducing myself. Former racer who after a 13 year break (took up golf lol) is back at it.

I "officially" joined a while ago but this like I said is my first post. Im' pretty good at conditioning, fit advice but I am so freaking lost in technology so I will be asking lots of questions which you guys seem awesome at providing answers without being rude like some other forums I have checked out. This place seems like a very cool hangout.

I Raced a lot in So Cal during the late 80s to early 2000s. Road for a handfull of local teams (Starting with Montrose CC ending in Shaklee Masters) won some (mostly lost some..lol) Cyclocross seemed to be best results (Bronze in a 30-35 State Event) . I live in Bend, Oregon now. Occupation. Co-own a small graphic design business vertcreative.com

Finally getting off my butt and giving the bikes a makeover and feel worthy of making a post. Will post pics progress pics, sorry none at present... but will get on it!

Road bike (only one left now)

Lightpeed Vortex, The Story - I originally had Levi's hand me down from Health Net, but got run over by a car during a training ride, I was fine the bike, not so much. Lightspeed replaced it with a newer one. I believe it's a 99, whatever the first year they went to the brushed finish. I love the bike, it's the one I couldn't part with.

I will be updating the components but right now I am still on Dura Ace 9speed. Wheels rotate with my cross bikes but I have a set of Zipp 303s and 404s and some Kysriums for rough road training. I want to go to 10 shortly. I might be adding a TT setup this summer. I don't have plans to update my cross bikes, just too much coin considering other activities here. Anybody that knows Bend... you have a Winter quiver of sports goodies too lol.

The group is Dura Ace with Sweet Wings cranks. I was friends with the owner(s) back then and they sort of sponsored me in exchange for some promotion. On the fence keeping the set vs putting it on my cross pit bike. They still feel as stiff and light as anything newer I have tried of late. You guys can help me here though I am sure. I might be completely nuts in that thinking. Considering staying with Shimano for the drivetrain upgrade. Any help there is great.

Cross bike(s)

Indy Fab. Group is also Dura Ace 9speed with Sweet Wings. My dry race wheels are an early set of tubular Zipps, I don't know the model exactly (circa 98). I was given them. They are deeper than 303s and have that rougher braking surface. They are reasonably light considering they cross specific I believe are 28/32 spokes. Amazing they have held up so well. Tires are Tufo Elites.

Pit Bike (also prefer it on tight courses) Prototype Haro. I don't think they ever made it to full production. Another hookup back then. Group is also Dura Ace. I use the 404s with Specialized 2013 Captain Cross for muddier courses.

Mountain Bike (torn apart for SS conversion)

GT Xizang. Components to be determined but am keeping the Chris King hubs. I want this to as light as possible and will for sure ask some advice along the way. I raced a bit in expert class there too and want to race again but only SS.

Anyway I thought I would introduce myself and hopefully can make some new online friends here. I am a ain't broke don't fix it mentality.. but I am sure you guys can do some good enabling :)

A late Happy Thanksgiving! :) I'll dig up some pics soon.

Cheers.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

:welcome: Can't wait to see some pics of that litespeed
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

oreoboreo

by oreoboreo

Welcome to the dedicated group of people that can spend more on their bike than a car. By the way fellow Oregonian, just a few miles from the Nike campas here.
\
Scott
Let's finish the ride with a 20% grade.

2011 Scott Addict R1 DA 7900 Matt black
2012 Scott CR1 Pro Ultegra 6700
2015 Specialized SWorks Tarmac Da 9000
2016 Specialized SWorks Tarmac DA 9100

edesigner

by edesigner

Juanmoretime wrote::welcome: Another welcome. Your Litespeed is a fine platform for a Weight Weenie build. When I had my 1997 size 59 Vortex I had it down to 12.71 lbs so light builds are very possible but the do lighten the wallet too. :wink:

:shock:

Wow - would love to see or hear about what you did. The lightest wheels on it for now will be the Zipp 303 clinchers so realistically I doubt if I can get in much under 15 but a boy can try....

edesigner

by edesigner

Juanmoretime wrote:Ask and you shall receive.
viewtopic.php?t=12882&highlight=vortex" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks! Seeing that my goal looks pretty attainable. I want to stay in the weight range where the bike is a perfect balance of ascending goodness but not "dear god this thing is twitchy" descending evil :) I'm a self confessed nutjob on downhills so I want to keep that confidence.

Two things that may shave some grams that I may or may not do: 1 Replace my polished Ibis ti quill stem and get 2.rid of my Sweet Wings cranks. I like having something unusual that still works well... those cranks are as ugly as the stem is beautiful.. decisions decisions.

Feel free to share any crank suggestions. I like being somewhat of an oddball.

Also switching to D/A or Sram for drivetrain upgrade. Would would your suggestions be there?

Will post some pics soon. Also considering decal choices too.

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

:welcome:

Not much to add, as you are in the capable hands of Juan in terms of the technical bits... looking forward to seeing your build when completed.
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

edesigner

by edesigner

Powerful Pete wrote::welcome:

Not much to add, as you are in the capable hands of Juan in terms of the technical bits... looking forward to seeing your build when completed.

Thanks Pete :)

..and thanks again Juan for the suggestions.. damn you will be one good enabler .. just ignore the hate mail my lovely wife might send you :lol:

I will try both shifters and see which feels best. Love those Zipp cranks. A couple of deals on ebay - one $450 usd BIN with two bbs but they are 175. Im' only 5'7" weight 145-155. I have very long legs for a shorter guy (31 inseam) but 175 is a tad long me thinks.