Firefly FF028 Ti Road

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

jbaillie

by jbaillie

Thanks for the kind words - I got the crank and shifters installed yesterday. Extra thanks to Tyler and Kevin for helping with some minor issues: I'd bent the derailleur hanger in the crash and as a result indexing was a little off.

The new build:

AZR3

by AZR3

Pure Ti hotness right there!!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jbaillie

by jbaillie

Rough couple weeks for my bike -- mostly my fault.

I had an unfortunate encounter with a storm drain. I've never had this happen before, but it was apparently turned the wrong way such that the entire back wheel was able to fall in about 3-4 inches. Aside from mucking up the wheel and tire, it also gouged the rim pretty badly:

I was concerned I might have destroyed the rim, but the HED Belgium is a tough one. I used an old Topeak alloy tire lever to file off the shards that were sticking out and it's more or less good as new except that one nick.

Gotta love good alloy hoops:
Last edited by jbaillie on Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jbaillie

by jbaillie

Unseasonably warm weekend in New England. As good a reason as any to go for a ride.
Last edited by jbaillie on Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thegunner

by thegunner

this bike was actually one of the ones that inspired me to hop in the FF wait queue ;) glad to see it refreshed

Marin

by Marin

Lovely bike.

jbaillie

by jbaillie

Frustrating incident this weekend: Caught up in a super avoidable crash at Myles Standish Road Race. I'm not sure if I'm more upset with myself for not seeing it unfolding and avoiding it, or the guy who initially goes off the road and then takes everyone out.

Caught by a fellow rider's GoPro:

Damage: Some superficial issues with the left pedal, QR, handlebars. More serious is the left brake lever is loose now (still pulls the cable, but moves laterally a fair amount). Then there was the derailleur hanger:

Brought it in to Firefly on Monday and they've straightened it out. I know it gets weaker each time this happens, but for now I'm happy with it.

She lives to race another day.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Wow. I assume you are OK and that's the most important thing. Everything else can be fixed or replaced. Firefly did an excellent job at the repair. That's quite a severe bend to get it straightened. But you should be OK. If the frame were made of carbon the repair will be much more time consuming, not to mention repainting the repaired area.

nobuseri

by nobuseri

Sorry to hear about the crash. Good to hear that you’re ok and can race another day.
Bike still looks clean. Props for giving it all around usage.
Cicli Barco XCr Road
Moots VaMoots
Parlee Z1
SuperX Hi-Mod Disc

jbaillie

by jbaillie

Cleaned up the pedal & bartape, treated myself to some new ti skewers. Anyone have any idea what internally would cause the brake lever to have this lateral movement? Still works okay, but seems dicey.

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

The lever is broked

themidge

by themidge

It's shimano now :wink:

euph

by euph

Sram levers have a little bushing on the pivot. It looks like one of those bushings may have cracked/come loose/or completely disappeared. I would imagine it will be an annoying part to source but you could make one on a lathe pretty easily as it is just a top hat shape. That's my 2 cents. Hope it helps.

jbaillie

by jbaillie

euph wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 9:35 pm
Sram levers have a little bushing on the pivot. It looks like one of those bushings may have cracked/come loose/or completely disappeared. I would imagine it will be an annoying part to source but you could make one on a lathe pretty easily as it is just a top hat shape. That's my 2 cents. Hope it helps.
euph you are a bloody genius - I can see just in the sliver between the lever and the outer part, the bushing on one side is gone. At least I know what it needs.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

euph

by euph

Glad I could help. Good luck finding/making the part.