Firefly FF028 Ti Road

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

jbaillie

by jbaillie

Current setup:

My current absurdly vain complaint: The Mango CK hubs clash with the shifters/crank. I think I'll get over it. One thing I'm leaning toward doing is debading the 46 Aero hoops like l3eans did with his Waltly.

TBD, I'm happy with it for now and it's riding as well as ever.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

jbaillie wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 10:06 pm
My current absurdly vain complaint: The Mango CK hubs clash with the shifters/crank. I think I'll get over it.
I wouldn't be able to get over it. Mango hubs? On a Ti bike? Sure on some tarted up mountain bike, or certain gravel or cross bikes. But to me Ti road is all about class, sophistication and understatement. I couldn't do Mango hubs. I'd quit the sport. Notice I haven't even mentioned your issue of the clash between the red accents on the Sram parts and those hubs. Criminal.

Seriously though, if you like the wheels it would be easy and cost effective to strip the logos of the Sram stuff and go all stealth black. The hubs would be fine in that scenario.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

kokies

by kokies

It might help if the fork is blacked out as well.
jbaillie wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 10:06 pm
Current setup:

jbaillie

by jbaillie

Hah, thanks kokies. Got the new decals applied today, and I'm a big fan. The photo was hastily taken in late-afternoon light but I'll get something better in the coming days, probably with new rubber too.

jbaillie

by jbaillie

Okay - some better photos today. Switched out the gumwalls for anthracite (or whatever they call it) Corsa G's, the old ones had a couple decent cuts in them. More importantly, just a clearer photo of the blacked-out decals. When I went to Firefly for them I walked in as a ti-carbon frame was being epoxied:
Always fun to see what they're working on, but I was there for a much less technical reason.
They'd applied these on bikes for a while circa 2015, just before Enve switched to the smaller black logo lower on the fork legs. You can see them if you scroll way back on their IG.
Anyway, here's the bike with new decals, including the little "2.0 Road" above the dropouts.

fxx

by fxx

jbaillie wrote:Okay - some better photos today. Switched out the gumwalls for anthracite (or whatever they call it) Corsa G's, the old ones had a couple decent cuts in them. More importantly, just a clearer photo of the blacked-out decals. When I went to Firefly for them I walked in as a ti-carbon frame was being epoxied:
Always fun to see what they're working on, but I was there for a much less technical reason.
They'd applied these on bikes for a while circa 2015, just before Enve switched to the smaller black logo lower on the fork legs. You can see them if you scroll way back on their IG.
Anyway, here's the bike with new decals, including the little "2.0 Road" above the dropouts.
Looks wise perfect!! Only the setback seatpost, looks bent.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

jbaillie

by jbaillie

Two moves I wasn't too excited about: Swapped the saddle for a Syncros Belcarra and the outer chainring for my old Force Powerglide one. The saddle to me is a step down aesthetically, but I just feel better after long rides, so I'm definitely sticking with it. The chainring is replacing the beat-up stock Red 10sp one and isn't meant to be used with a hidden chainring bolt setup, so I had to try it in a couple different orientations to get shifting right (just based on tooth alignment with the inner ring). It's all working for now, although I'm not sure how much longer I'll stick with this crank.
Oh, and the chainring saved a whole two grams! 142 coming off, 140 going on.

Edit 10/14: Welp, that was a mess. Test riding near home went fine, but once on a longer, more aggressive group ride the issues with the chainring really became evident. I don't think the old rings have the same Q factor as the newer ones, so switched back to the Red ones with twice as many miles on them. Issues have abated.
Last edited by jbaillie on Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MiloAS

by MiloAS

Still the best bike on the forum IMO. I think the chainrings look great actually, they bring out the red in the crank nicely.

jbaillie

by jbaillie

Juanmoretime wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:37 pm
I have a love/hate thing with the Thompson Materpiece setback seatpost. White I have had a few of them I just can’t warm up to the bend to get the setback. Do love the weight and clamp!
Yeah I go back and forth - I thought it actually fit well with the Brooks saddle, but now that there's a more modern perch up there I feel like an Enve post might pair better.

Ed. - Back to crank-correct chainrings due to shifting issues - also using some Jet+ Blacks for the time being.

jbaillie

by jbaillie

Basement riding season lasted a couple months longer than normal this year, but today I got the soap and rags out and pulled this thing off the trainer. Getting back on the open roads this week, hopefully public health numbers continue to improve in this area.

sendit100

by sendit100

Such a nice frame, I reckon it looks especially great with those Belgium's 👌

jbaillie

by jbaillie

sendit100 wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 2:21 pm
Such a nice frame, I reckon it looks especially great with those Belgium's 👌
Agree - the Belgiums are the best fit for a round-tubed Ti bike. Will prob enjoy these Jet+'s for the summer and then sell them on. This was going to be my last year doing any kind of racing, but now I don't know. I get the sense a lot of folks are in a similar boat.

jbaillie

by jbaillie

First week of August means Pan-Mass time. This year's event was cancelled (obviously) in its traditional format but a ton of folks still did their own rides of similar distance (180-190 miles/300km over two days). I opted to do the same, and rode on consecutive days from Boston to Rhode Island and back, then Boston to New Hampshire and back. In case anyone is curious, the latter is a MUCH nicer ride.
Swapped back to old reliable, my 7-year-old Belgiums laced to T11's. These rims paired with Corsa 25's make for the easiest roadside changes, which I figured was good on two pretty long solo/unsupported rides. Turned out to be prophetic, I got rear flats both days.
I'm planning on giving the JET 4's a new home and going back to these hoops full time. Will likely get some new rubber in the next few months; probably jumping up to 28's, maybe trying something new like Donnelly LCV or Schwalbe Pro One.

tomsneo

by tomsneo

Beautiful bike! I've been following their builds for a few years now. They literally make rolling art, yours is proof sir!
Masi 3VC SL
S-Works SL7
Supersix Evo HM Black INC

jbaillie

by jbaillie

Went a little crazy - sold both sets of HED wheels (Jet 4's and Belgiums, which had served me so well) and took the plunge on my long-desired set: 3.4's with CK R45 hubs.
Also finally replaced my brake lever which had been slightly wonky since crashing way back in spring 2018, and at the same time got new cables and housing and trying out new bar tape: Silca's Nastro Piloti. A lot tackier than what I've used in the past, still getting used to it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com