Firefly FF028 Ti Road

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

Yeah good luck. Really I mean.

Let us know if you find a source - I suspect it's a common problem.

Thanks!

jbaillie

by jbaillie

Nothing new on the bike, just took it to the local crits over the weekend (raced early, then watched the other categories).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jroy

by jroy

Greenfield crit?

jbaillie

by jbaillie

jroy wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:18 pm
Greenfield crit?
Yes! Do you race in New England? I'm headed to Longsjo this weekend.

jroy

by jroy

I'm in central mass, used to live in the Pioneer Valley. I have't raced in several years. Keep telling myself I should get back into cross and mtb, but haven't. I recognize some of the locations you've posted: Quabbin lookout tower, fields in Deerfield from the D2R2, and Greenfield.

jbaillie

by jbaillie

Small change: Swapped the Veloflex Master 25's for Vittoria Corsa 25's.
Last edited by jbaillie on Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

That looks ace.

I'm not normally a fan of the Sram Red chain rings (except perhaps the latest etap black rings) but they suit your bike really well. Nice.

jbaillie

by jbaillie

Seeing RyanH's filthy new build made me feel like posting an updated build list on this thing - only a few things at this point (derailleurs, handlebars) are the same as when I bought it. A few bits have been replaced like-for-like (cassette, cables).

Got it to 16.9 lbs. but honestly, I'm a bigger guy and don't care too much about getting it lower. I have a Hylix seatpost, lighter saddle and an UNO stem in my parts bin, but the slightly heavier Thomson/Brooks option just feels better to me.

Only changes this summer have been swapping Veloflex Master 25's for Vittoria Corsa and I snapped my Barfly in the crash back in May, so for a couple months just rode with the stock mount and recently threw a cheap SRAM Quickview on.

jbaillie

by jbaillie

In a ridiculous act of vanity I decided to mimic a few others and see what it would look like with the Red touches "blacked out".

Stenciled, cut and applied vinyl tape to the shifters, brake levers and cranks.

I like the way it looks, but if I decide I'm noticing the feel of it too much or see any peeling I'll just go back to red.

jbaillie

by jbaillie

'Tis the season (finally) in New England. Got the Firefly some new boots for 2019.
Reynolds 46 Aero hoops laced to CK R45's in Mango
Vittoria Corsa 25mm rubber

MiloAS

by MiloAS

I think this is my favourite build on WW. There's just something about how understated it is that's so nice. How do the new wheels ride?

jbaillie

by jbaillie

MiloAS wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:18 pm
I think this is my favourite build on WW. There's just something about how understated it is that's so nice. How do the new wheels ride?
Only a few miles on them (put them on for the 1st time yesterday) but first impressions are excellent. I had the Reynolds SixtySix rims on T11's a few years back and they were quick but brutal in crosswinds. These are much more stable.

jbaillie

by jbaillie

I've also purchased a handful of lighter bits over the past few months, and was considering throwing on this spring, but now that it's good riding weather I find myself leaning toward sticking with the slightly heavier options I've been running.
VP R76 pedals: 249g (-13 compared to Look Keo2Max)
Kalloy Uno7 stem: 123g (-32 compared to Thomson X2)
Selle Italia SL*: 217g (-43 compared to Brooks Cambium C13)
Hylix setback post: 165g (-63g compared to Thomson Elite)
*The saddle is the one part that isn't new, it was my saddle of choice until 2016 when I changed to the Cambium. The total savings (151g) look tempting, but unless something changes my feeling on the current parts I'll likely shift these aside for a later project.

MiloAS

by MiloAS

IMO i also prefer the current set up, plus if you change you won't have matching stem + seatpost. We all know matching brands = -100g of weight

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

thedanplasse

by thedanplasse

Nice to see another MA/RI/CT local on here. Great build.
2020 S-Works Tarmac SL6
2018 Specialized Tarmac Expert Sl5