1998 Trek 5220, stripped 6.41kg, fork changed

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderator: Moderator Team

Daddy yo yo

by Daddy yo yo

i would also sand the fork and get rid of those decals/logos. i also preferred the frame without the trek-logo... a reynolds ouzo pro fork would also be a nice fit for this frame!
My contribution to more beautiful roads: - old - / - new -

JackWalk

by JackWalk

looks sweet.You've done a great job mate.

by Weenie

djay001

by djay001

Daddy yo yo wrote:i would also sand the fork and get rid of those decals/logos. i also preferred the frame without the trek-logo... a reynolds ouzo pro fork would also be a nice fit for this frame!

I will do it, but that will be one of my winter project.

Maybe i will also try to do the clear coat of the frame again, i will need a can of clear for the fork, and i'm not really satisfied of my first clear job. Some place are fine and shinny, but on other place you can see a lot of waves (i don't know how to describe that).

This is also interesting to see someone who liked more the no logo version. I really prefer the bike with the logo, but this may change with the time...

djay001

by djay001

Burgunder wrote:With the new fork, a new headset and stem you might be right at the UCI weight limit!

i may be to wrong but i think that it will be below 6.8kg,

For the moment the bike is at 7.02kg.

The new fork is 100g lighter, and the stem/quill on the bike is about 300gr for the moment. I have a ritchey WSC on the way at about 105gr.

I also got some other little things in progress, new pedal, red rear derailleur, but for the moment i got problem with it (see the subject on road discussion)http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=116790

RimClencher

by RimClencher

Really like how the aluminium frame looks after stripping the paint and adding clear coat. Have been thinking of doing something similar to my frame. What kind of clear coat did you use?

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

Sweet project. I did this with an old 2001 5200 myself. Did you ever get the new fork on yet? That should be a huge upgrade.

djay001

by djay001

ProfessorChaos wrote:Sweet project. I did this with an old 2001 5200 myself. Did you ever get the new fork on yet? That should be a huge upgrade.

Sorry for the delayed answer

Yes i finaly put the new fork on the bike.

I have also done some others update.

News Shimano dura ace wh-7850-c24-tu, around 1250gr
with some vittoria corsa evo CX tire

The fork was changed for the bianci one, the fork have been scrapped and i have redone the clear. I got a ritcheys WSC stem, for 1 1/8 steerer and 26mm handlebar, light and cheep, around 110gr.

The rear derailleur is now a sram red 10 speed, with a sram rival external cage at 157gr

The new weight is at 6.41kg or 14.15 pounds.

dogg

by dogg

id get some compact bars so you could loose some steerer. thats mostly an aesthetic thing tho..

love the finish of the carbon on that frame. props on the refurb

Clannagh

by Clannagh

Wow these both look nice