My new S-Works Tarmac build...

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderator: Moderator Team

dhendriksen
Posts: 128
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:54 pm

by dhendriksen

I am going to build my new Tarmac SL3 this weekend, and thought I would share here. I haven't built a bike since 2008, so I'm really excited. The last bike I built was a Specialized S-Works Tarmac SL, with full Dura Ace 7800. I was toying with doing a Tarmac SL4, but I fell in love with this Project Yellow SL3 and was able to make a good buy on it at my LBS.

So far, all I have is pictures of the frame. I took it into a tint shop today that puts paint protection on all my cars, and had them apply the clear film onto the areas of the bike that are most vulnerable to damage from rocks, etc... I had the front of the head tube, the front of the forks, the front of the downtube, the back of the seat tube, and each of the rear chain stays protected. It should really help protect the bike.

Sorry, I'm not a photographer at all, but here are some pictures I quickly snapped of the frame after getting the protective film applied.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

I am building the bike up with Campagnolo Super Record 11. I had a little bit of a hard time sourcing the BB30 68x42 cups for the BB, but I found a pair and should have them tomorrow or Friday. That's the last thing we're waiting for. The rest of the details are:

Full Campagnolo SR11 Drivetrain (Brakes, crank, derailleurs, cassette, chain, shifters, BB)
Mavic Cosmic Carbone Powertap Wheelset
Easton EC70 Handlebar
The stem is not yet determined
Saddle will likely be Specialized Romin (carbon rails of course =) )

I'm sure I'm missing a few details. I'm open to any suggestions, comments, criticism, etc...and look forward to some feedback. I'll post pics of the gruppo soon, and then obviously pics of the complete project on Friday or Saturday.

User avatar
timintense
Posts: 379
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:01 pm
Location: UK

by timintense

absolutely love the project yellow frames :thumbup: would love to have got one
My bikes:-
- 2014 Lapierre Zesty AM 727-11.9kg
- 2012 Storck Fenomalist Di2 - 7.1kg

Carbon - Lightens your bike and your wallet
OCBD - Obsessive Compulsive Biking Disorder

User avatar
majklnajt
Posts: 3698
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:40 pm
Location: Lenart, Slovenia EUROPE

by majklnajt

I would unlabel the stem/bars and seatpost so the would be all black. Sadlle and bartape also black.
Cosmic PRO wheelset? Would also unlabel it.

The frame would really stand out then!


Just my suggestions.

dhendriksen
Posts: 128
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:54 pm

by dhendriksen

majklnajt wrote:I would unlabel the stem/bars and seatpost so the would be all black. Sadlle and bartape also black.
Cosmic PRO wheelset? Would also unlabel it.

The frame would really stand out then!


Just my suggestions.


Great suggestions. I'm definitely going with black bartape, and I like your suggestion of "unlabeling" the stem. The labels on the Cosmic Carbone and yellow, so I will see how those look before I yank the labels off those.

What I'm worried about right now is the red bits in the Campy stuff and how it will look.

Image

Image

Image

dhendriksen
Posts: 128
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:54 pm

by dhendriksen

timintense wrote:absolutely love the project yellow frames :thumbup: would love to have got one


Thanks! I feel really lucky to have found this one. I got it at a local shop that has about 8 or 10 locations across the state, and this was tucked away in the basement of their smallest store...they didn't realize they had it. Once I came looking for one, first they laughed at me but then when they did a search their jaws hit the floor and they realized they had one at their other store in my size and everything.

User avatar
majklnajt
Posts: 3698
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:40 pm
Location: Lenart, Slovenia EUROPE

by majklnajt

Dont worry, I think the red bits on the SR will look ok, not like "forced in". A litlle contrast is always welcome.

Anyway, you can build the whole bike and then unlabel the parts in the photshop, before unlabeling them for real.
Or just try to imagine how it looks like unlabeled.

edit: which botllecages were you thinkinh to put on? Arundel mandible would go well with campy carbon structure.

oreoboreo
Posts: 509
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:25 pm
Location: Aloha, Oregon/ Poipu, Kauai Hawaii

by oreoboreo

It will look just like a fast yellow jacket. Sould look awesome
Let's finish the ride with a 20% grade.

2011 Scott Addict R1 DA 7900 Matt black
2012 Scott CR1 Pro Ultegra 6700
2015 Specialized SWorks Tarmac Da 9000
2016 Specialized SWorks Tarmac DA 9100

micropox
Posts: 265
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:50 pm

by micropox

great looking frame. i'm very interested on how you'll install campy ultra-torque cranks on that frame. will you be using the 68x42 OS-fit campy BB cups together with the plastic press-in cups of specialized? please keep us posted. i think a lot of us in this forum are having trouble on that.

thanks

dhendriksen
Posts: 128
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:54 pm

by dhendriksen

majklnajt wrote:Dont worry, I think the red bits on the SR will look ok, not like "forced in". A litlle contrast is always welcome.

Anyway, you can build the whole bike and then unlabel the parts in the photshop, before unlabeling them for real.
Or just try to imagine how it looks like unlabeled.

edit: which botllecages were you thinkinh to put on? Arundel mandible would go well with campy carbon structure.


Arundel cages are what I'm going to go with.

dhendriksen
Posts: 128
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:54 pm

by dhendriksen

micropox wrote:great looking frame. i'm very interested on how you'll install campy ultra-torque cranks on that frame. will you be using the 68x42 OS-fit campy BB cups together with the plastic press-in cups of specialized? please keep us posted. i think a lot of us in this forum are having trouble on that.

thanks


My bike builder and I spoke with Specialized, and they actually did further testing at Morgan Hill on our behalf. They (Specialized) have tested this solution extensively, and say that it is top notch.

You need to make a slight modification to the Delrin cups that come with the bike. About half way back on the inside there is about a 3mm lip that you need to knock off with a dremel. Then you use the Campy BB30 68x42 press in cups, and supposedly it works great.

It looks like the final parts I'm waiting on won't be here until tomorrow at noon...so it will be another day before we get into that. The builder wants to look at the BB and everything together before he gets out the dremel, but felt good about what Specialized said. That seems like it would be quite simple to do, and the Delrin cups don't cost anything so if we burn through a pair or two in the process it is no big deal.

I'll try and post pics of the process, if it doesn't drive the buy building the bike crazy :D

crohnsy
Posts: 439
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:43 pm
Location: Canada

by crohnsy

Nice looking frame...

CarpetFibre
Posts: 599
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:24 am

by CarpetFibre

Awesome frame. One of the few frames I believe looks truly awesome in yellow. But seriously, red and yellow NEVER goes together on a bike. NEVER. Make sure you do something about the red on the Super Record.

Best of luck with the build - I can't wait! :thumbup:

dhendriksen
Posts: 128
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:54 pm

by dhendriksen

CarpetFibre wrote:Awesome frame. One of the few frames I believe looks truly awesome in yellow. But seriously, red and yellow NEVER goes together on a bike. NEVER. Make sure you do something about the red on the Super Record.

Best of luck with the build - I can't wait! :thumbup:


What, you don't think this is hot?

Image

crohnsy
Posts: 439
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:43 pm
Location: Canada

by crohnsy

Reminds me of hulkamania.....


The limited red on the Campy will be fine.

User avatar
Marzz
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:19 am

by Marzz

That looks awesome!
S-Works Venge

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post