My New Parlee Z3 4.94kg with room to go lower

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

sholiday

by sholiday

wshiong wrote:
dgasmd wrote:Fantastic. A Z5 and a Colnago C59 are pretty much the only bikes in my list if I was to get a new frame right now. My questions to you is how is the shifting with with a salad combination of parts (Campy shifter and der, cables and housings, rings, cranks, etc)?? Nothing shifts smoother than an all Campy SR group, so how far from that perfection are you with all these part combos??

a c59 cant go lower than 5kg.. if you need a weenie bike.

I believe a Z5SL is lighter than a C59. I would go with a Parlee. I tested Colnagos before buying my Wilier Cento Uno SL and decided on the SL. Now that I have the Z3, I rarely ride the SL because the Z3 is just as stiff but smoother-the SL is my rain bike although it doesn't rain much in SoCal.
Parlee Z3 4.94kg: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=101920
Wilier Cento Uno SL 5.52kg: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=101957

konky

by konky

I would say that build list would weigh quite a bit more than 4.95kg but why anyone would want to pretend otherwise I can't think, so I guess it must. Amazing achievement. Well done.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gumgardner

by gumgardner

It must be a really light Z3 because it isn't a really light set of components.

sholiday

by sholiday

gumgardner wrote:It must be a really light Z3 because it isn't a really light set of components.

Much of the weight saving is in the wheelset (~880g)/tires (~240g for both tires) and the saddle/seatpost combo (under 120g)

wshiong

by wshiong

So how was the ride ? do you find it very hard to keep up with average speed on stright?
Passoni Mirror

Passoni Xxti

jsinclair

by jsinclair

A quick sum of the weights you've given with unknowns filled in from other places puts the frame weight at around 750gms. I was a bit generous with some of the unknowns so it probably works out to be even less than 750.

I don't think I've ever seen a z3sl at that weight. They are generally accepted to be around high-800's. I just can't believe that this is lighter than wshiong's z3sl considering their respective part lists.

sholiday

by sholiday

jsinclair wrote:A quick sum of the weights you've given with unknowns filled in from other places puts the frame weight at around 750gms. I was a bit generous with some of the unknowns so it probably works out to be even less than 750.

I don't think I've ever seen a z3sl at that weight. They are generally accepted to be around high-800's. I just can't believe that this is lighter than wshiong's z3sl considering their respective part lists.

Not sure why people are hating a light weight build?
Last edited by sholiday on Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

wshiong

by wshiong

jsinclair wrote:A quick sum of the weights you've given with unknowns filled in from other places puts the frame weight at around 750gms. I was a bit generous with some of the unknowns so it probably works out to be even less than 750.

mine frame is 54 TT and i have a more havier Lw ventoux and my conti 4000 tyre are super heavy, probally need to get some veloflex to cut out some weight.

I change out my ax lightness saddle to some heavy tune speedneedle for some ride quality. just cant sit on a full carbon saddle :oops:

At first i also cant believe the weight with all the parts that sholiday mention, may be his wheel setup makes the differents.
Passoni Mirror

Passoni Xxti

wshiong

by wshiong

My Z3 wshiong Z3 Wt dif
Frame: No Paint Clear coat finish -15 to 25g ???not sure exactly???
Fork: 1.0 No Paint 2.0 Clear coat -50 to 60g
Wheels Reynolds RZR Alchemy/Evne 45 -150 to 175g
Tires Tufo <125g Ultremo -225 to 275g depending on the tire width
Cassette Recon Alloy Campy ??? -75 to 100g depending on what size he is using
Saddle/Post Berk 119g combo Tune/MCFK -90g
Crankset Stork PowerArms SL THM M3 -30g
BB Ceramic THM Standard??? -10g not sure if he upgraded to ceramic or not
Pedals Speedplay Zero Ti Look ??? -20 to 50g depending on the model
Housing Nokon Carbon/Alloy Campy ??? -20 to 30g ???not sure exactly???
Cables PowerCordz Campy ??? -20 to 30g ???not sure exactly???
-705 to 970g my advantage

i think the above is not my setup :mrgreen:
Passoni Mirror

Passoni Xxti

wshiong

by wshiong

If you need a aerolite titanium pedals, i have one set used for sale. 73g for both.
Passoni Mirror

Passoni Xxti

jsinclair

by jsinclair

No one is hating on your build, they are just expressing doubt that it actually weighs what you say it does. More than one person has questioned it, which on a forum dedicated to light weight bikes would tend to suggest that something is indeed amiss.

wshiong i was comparing this bike to yours, not mine. Ill happily admit mine is nowhere near as light as these.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Haha I can see plan as day where the big advantage is..

It's in the show tires... They weigh nothing... Ride like freeze dried crap and would puncher at the first sign of a shinny object...

If I put those tires on my heavy old z5 there wouldn't be much in it..
Wouldn't be any fun to ride though.

My loner moots compact ( hyperons, SR11, 6.4ks ) has a tufo jet on the front...
It's awful. The bike is so twitchy and nervous when you attack a corner hard it makes you back off.
And if you want any speed you have to pump it up to 110-120.. Which totally leaves you with numb fingers in an instant..

I told my mate it totally has to go. :noidea:

timintense

by timintense

Just something to point out here, the park ds-1 don't give an accurate read unless they are in this case held in a work stand totally vertical, from the pictures provided you can see the ds-1 is on an angle, from my experience this gives a lighter reading, am not hating am just putting across a point from my experience using the ds-1's
My bikes:-
- 2014 Lapierre Zesty AM 727-11.9kg
- 2012 Storck Fenomalist Di2 - 7.1kg

Carbon - Lightens your bike and your wallet
OCBD - Obsessive Compulsive Biking Disorder

Roobay

by Roobay

collegiateRacer wrote:This is why having a professional fitter help design your CUSTOM bike is a good idea. No spacer but still good fit could have been possible.

You dont just buy a parlee from any old shop, all are trained to get the best fit for the customer, agreed some are MUCH better than others though :smartass:
i like people... i just can't stand assholes

sholiday

by sholiday

timintense wrote:Just something to point out here, the park ds-1 don't give an accurate read unless they are in this case held in a work stand totally vertical, from the pictures provided you can see the ds-1 is on an angle, from my experience this gives a lighter reading, am not hating am just putting across a point from my experience using the ds-1's

I re-weighed the bike per your suggestion and I did end up at 5.01kg. After switching out the crankset she is back down below the 5kg mark (4.97kg). I took out a chain link as well since i went with Compact.
Attachments
Re-weighed with scale vertical
Re-weighed with scale vertical
Old Stork PowerArms SL crankset-Standard
Old Stork PowerArms SL crankset-Standard
New Lightning SL Crankset-Compact
New Lightning SL Crankset-Compact
New weight after switching cranksets and weighing with the Park DS-1 vertical
New weight after switching cranksets and weighing with the Park DS-1 vertical

by Weenie