A white Scott Foil U-Di2

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

CulBaire

by CulBaire

Good read - I've been looking at doing a Di2 conversion to my mechanical Norco frame for a while now; thanks for the "how to"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CerveloMad

by CerveloMad

CulBaire wrote:Good read - I've been looking at doing a Di2 conversion to my mechanical Norco frame for a while now; thanks for the "how to"

Thanks CulBaire, best of luck with it. Its not all that difficult..if you have a carbon framed Norco, just take a few big deep breaths, lots of measuring, lots of patience and lots of care when drilling! Try and also limit the size and number of holes as I did so as not to compromise the carbon frame integrity too much. I may be talking too cautiously here, but remember this is slightly unchartered territory and invalidates any manufacturers warranty you may have, but the results are worth all the effort if it is done safely!

CerveloMad

by CerveloMad

Yep, you got it in one. Had to look twice at it myself when I saw the close up!

Alpine318is

by Alpine318is

I hate to bump an old thread but I am putting together a mechanical foil frame with Di2. The I have managed to get everything in the correct spot but I am struggling with the battery which I will be mounting on the downtube. Currently I have a couple options

1. Run it through the lower cable guide on the exterior of the frame to the battery
2. Drill out the seattube bottle cage lower bolt and run it throug there.
3. Drill a hole through the seattube just below the lower bolt.
4. Drill a hole through the bottom tube as shown in a eariler picture.

It seems like you need to drill a 6mm hole in the frame. Is this an acceptable spot to drill said hole?

Thanks for any advice
Last edited by Alpine318is on Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2018 Specialized S-Works Tarmac
SRAM Etap
ENVE 4.5

2018 Bianchi Infinito CV
SRAM Etap
ENVE Classics 45

2016 Cervelo P2
Ultegra 6800 Di2
ENVE 6.7

CerveloMad

by CerveloMad

Alpine318is wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:15 pm
I hate to bump an old thread but I am putting together a mechanical foil frame with Di2. The I have managed to get everything in the correct spot but I am struggling with the battery which I will be mounting on the downtube. Currently I have a couple options

1. Run it through the lower cable guide on the exterior of the frame to the battery
2. Drill out the seattube bottle cage lower bolt and run it throug there.
3. Drill a hole through the seattube just below the lower bolt.
4. Drill a hole through the bottom tube as shown in a eariler picture.

It seems like you need to drill a 6mm hole in the frame. Is this an acceptable spot to drill said hole?

Thanks for any advice
Hi Alpine. Happy to give advice based on my own experience.
Im assuming from what you have described that you have run the cable from the front Junction A inside the downtube to connect up with the Junction B and now you are wanting to connect the external battery cable to the internal junction B? If I have that right I would comment as follows on your options:
1. Running it through the lower cable guide below the bottom bracket will do away with drilling holes in your carbon frame but you will then have to tape the cable from there to the battery on to the frame and believe me it is a never ending saga of replacing the tape as it gets dirty and wet, besides it looking awful. I have had to deal with that routing on a Trek Madone and it really did end up a right mess.
2. You could also drill out the seatube bottle cage lower bolt but again you will have to use tape and all the associated problems described above. Besides, you will then only have 1 bottle cage, which might not be a problem for you at present, but think of the onward sale when others may want the option of having 2 bottles for long rides etc.
3 Drilling a hole through the seattube below the lower bolt gives you again the taping problem above.
4. Drilling the hole adjacent to where the battery will lie is the option I would plump for and did on mine. It looks neat, no taping involved and mirrors the same set up as the later internally wired Di2 Foil. It really looks like it was designed that way, in my opinion.

This may sound a bit of an overkill, but please bear in mind as I have stated in my original post, that drilling into a carbon frame will invalidate any potential warranty claims from the manufacturer and although I have had absolutely no problems with stress cracking, or failure of any kind, for over probably 3,000mls of varying conditions of riding, I cannot endorse the drilling into a carbon frame bike. It was my choice to do so knowing all the associated risks by possibly weakening the frame, but I was prepared for that and so far has worked out fine for me, in fact, so much so, I have just converted my Cervelo R5 Di2 from external to internal wiring by drilling a couple of holes in the frame similar to the Scott and again, everything good.

Going back to the actual method of making the holes, I would underline the importance of drilling small and follow up by carefully and slowly, opening out with a fine round file to the 6mm needed to accept the terminal ends. Finish off the hole sides with a small dab of nail varnish to seal the carbon weave from water ingress and potentially delaminating the carbon fibres.

Hope this has been of some use to you in weighing up your options.

Good luck.

CerveloMad

by CerveloMad

No need for any thanks Alpine, I was just hanging around doing nothing as always.

Alpine318is

by Alpine318is

Thanks for the info but I decided to just sell the bike and get a correct one.
Last edited by Alpine318is on Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2018 Specialized S-Works Tarmac
SRAM Etap
ENVE 4.5

2018 Bianchi Infinito CV
SRAM Etap
ENVE Classics 45

2016 Cervelo P2
Ultegra 6800 Di2
ENVE 6.7

peterlee

by peterlee

Good luck !!