A white Scott Foil U-Di2

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Omiar

by Omiar

There not much good Foil pics here yet, so I thought I share some. It's a bone stock Scott Foil 40, with Shimano105 and Shimano wheels.
I removed the wheel decals for a more non-flashy look.

Plans are:
Ritchey wet white handlebar & stem to match the seat post
Black saddle to match black tape
Ultegra Di2 gruppo or DA mechanical
Other wheels.

ImageImageImageImage

Also, got a Shi105 gruppo to sell :)

This was my last road bike, sold it in 2004 if I remember correctly and haven't had a road bike since.
Last edited by Omiar on Wed May 02, 2012 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cannondale SystemSix R8170
Trek Checkpoint SL5 MY2022

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Omiar

by Omiar

Here's some weights

Time ICLIC2 Carbon Titanium Pedals

Scott Foil seatpost clamp by Ritchey (uncut)

Scott Foil seatpost with saddle clamp by Ritchey (uncut)

Scott Foil Seatpost clamp

Selle Italia X1 saddle

tinchy

by tinchy

These scott foils look very similair to the giant tcr frame.

Lars K. P.

by Lars K. P.

What is the weight of the frame?

The 40 is made of HMF NET fibre and the more expensive is made by HMX NET fibre but how much is the difference.
Lars K. P.

NGMN

by NGMN

Hey Lars, a previous person weighed a HMF R2(2010 designation I think) 54cm frame at 921 grams, here:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=85579&start=210

Though, the white or yellow paint on the 40/30 is probably worth a few grams.

Even so, nice choice on your first bike back.

Omiar

by Omiar

Had my first ride yesterday and it felt good. Can't compare to anything, because I haven't ridden anything else for years. Only thing I can say that steering is "typical Scott style" - quick and responsive. Shimano105 was a disappointment. Shifting throw is too long for me and front trimming is limited.

Ordered a Ritchey wet white handlebar, but can't find a matching C260 wet white stem for decent price.

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

Omiar wrote:Had my first ride yesterday and it felt good. Can't compare to anything, because I haven't ridden anything else for years. Only thing I can say that steering is "typical Scott style" - quick and responsive. Shimano105 was a disappointment. Shifting throw is too long for me and front trimming is limited.

Ordered a Ritchey wet white handlebar, but can't find a matching C260 wet white stem for decent price.

If you have an issue with Shimano 105 and the long throw I highly recommend SRAM. I switched my 2009 Spec Allez Elite Comp from Shimano 105 to a mix of SRAM Apex and Rival this winter and couldn't be happier. The throw is much much less and the parts were a bit lighter if I recall correctly. Also, I basically broke even selling my 105 since if you shop around a bit SRAM stuff can be had for some crazy good prices
Looks like I made a new 90 Proof friend

Omiar

by Omiar

Well, I wanted to try Di2, so a Ultegra Di2 gruppo should be here next week - at least I hope. I have sold the 105 and must give it to the new owner next Saturday.
Crank will be DA7900. Received it yestarday after back from training. Of course, had to mount it right away.
I really like how it matches the white frame. Here's a quick pic. The bike is dirty, I know.
Front upshifts are noticeably better with DA rings.

Omiar

by Omiar

My Di2 conversion is almost complete. Everything went easy, even drilling out the rear internal routing cable stop. It just took some patience to drill it.
Have to sort out some tiny bits, but no time at the moment. Currently taking a break and spending time with my newborn child.

redhed18

by redhed18

Wow, first Foil I have seen in something other than black/matte.

Visually the white spacer throws it off for me, might look better black?

Omiar

by Omiar

Im havent decided wheter to go with black stem and spacers or with white stem and spacers.

Heres ther first pic of Di2 installed:

Will clean the bike as soon as possible and take some better pics.

kindredd

by kindredd

Hi bro,

Nice bike you have there. I have a Foil 40 myself and am keen to setup the bike with Ultegra Di2 as well. Currently running on Ultegra mechanical but am very interested to see how you managed the issue of the cabling.

Could you post more pix of the building process and how you drilled the holes to accommodate the group set? Much thanks and good work!

pawnii

by pawnii

Just in case anyone is interested.
I have a HMX Premium Foil and it has HMF seatpost (no setback).
I wonder if the setback seatposts the pros use is HMX?

Did you request a setback seatpost or did it come standard with your bike?
2012 Scott Foil Premium

Omiar

by Omiar

kindredd wrote:Hi bro,

Nice bike you have there. I have a Foil 40 myself and am keen to setup the bike with Ultegra Di2 as well. Currently running on Ultegra mechanical but am very interested to see how you managed the issue of the cabling.

Could you post more pix of the building process and how you drilled the holes to accommodate the group set? Much thanks and good work!

I didn't make any pics but it's not complicated, patience is the key.

0. You need at least a 5,5mm drill bit to drill out the rear cable stop. Using a 5mm drill bit only wasn't enough. The Di2 wire is ~5,1mm.
You have to drill a decent amount, but be patient and do not use a lot of force. Just apply gentle pressure when drilling.
At one point you may feel the drill moves forward quit a bit, but it might not be done yet. You can try to put the wire through, but do not use any force.
Once the drilling is done, the wire slides through easily.

1. Unmount all the mechanical parts you don't need. The bottom bracket plug cover will drop off once the shifting cables are removed.
2. You can leave the crack on, but removing it makes the install more easy (more room to work).
3. Attache the shifters and front wiring.
4. Take a used brake/shifting cable, put it through the opening behind the head tube (left or right depend which side you want to run the Di2 wire) so it exits from the bottom bracket plug. Now take the Di2 wire for the down tube and attach it with some tape to the end of the Di2 wire. Now pull the Di2 wire through the down tube.
5. Attach the down tube Di2 wire to the front wiring harness, attach the junction box (i used internal) to the wire.
6. Assuming the rear cable stop is drilled out, slide the wire through and catch it at the bottom bracket. Attach it to the junction box.
7. Attach the two wires for FD and battery mount. I ran them through the bottom bracket plug, between the rear chainstays and to the correspondending unit. In the middle way, I zip tied them behind the chain catcher. Not the nicest thing but you actually do not notice it.
To plug the bottom bracket hole use your own expertice, I drilled to stock cable routing plug so that I could run the wires through it and then used silicone to fix it in place.
I also filled the RD wire entry hole with silicone, so that water wouldn't get it form there.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Omiar

by Omiar

I've done some more weight measuring.

Stem cap is 7g:

Stem cap bolt is 3g:

Scott Foil seatpost clamp by Ritchey (uncut)

Scott Foil seatpost with saddle clamp by Ritchey (uncut)

Scott Foil Seatpost clamp

Time ICLIC2 Carbon Titanium Pedals

Selle Italia X1 saddle

New 120mm alloy stem Ritchey WCS 260 wet white is 119g:

42cm Ritchey WCS Logic II Road 31.8 handlebar 254g:

Ultegra Di2 shifter is 158g:

Ultegra Di2 RD is 272g:

Ultegra Di2 long battery holder 43g:

Ultegra Di2 battery is 70g:

Dura-Ace crank is 467+187=645g

Hollowtech II bolt is 2g:

My current estimate weight is about 7,5kg, but I think it's actually 100-200g lighter.
I can easily lose 350g with saddle and lighter brakes and at least another 500g with wheels without spending a fortune.