Moderator: Moderator Team
This is a work in progress. I'm slowly removing the redundant features from the frame with the eventual aim of getting it re painted either matt black or the bright blue colour that Cotic and Marin are using on their current frames. So far I've removed the cable boss from the seat tube as I don't run a front mech, and filled the bottle cage mounts as well. I've removed one of the V brake mounts from the seat stay and modified the other to act as a hose guide for the disk brakes. All of this hacksaw work has meant that I've had to remove all of the paint from the seat tube and the seat stays, and I have given them a brushed finish until I can get the frame painted.
Having no front mech means I'm fully committed to running a 1x9 set up. Currently this is a hybrid SRAM / DuraAce/ XT 11-32 cassette driven with an XTR M960 rear mech, an FSA 9 spd chain, shifted by a DuraAce 10spd thumb shifter. I'll move up to a 10 spd cassette when the current one dies, maybe tweaking the gear range a little.
Up front I have a Truvativ Stylo GXP triple chainset with a single Specialites TA 42 outer chain ring in the middle position. I had to modify the arms of the chain ring to get it to fit properly. It's held on there with FSA alloy chain ring bolts and some alloy washers. I've also removed the tabs for the inner granny ring with my trusty hacksaw. A Superstar Components guide keeps the chain in place.
The brakes are Avid Juicy Fives with Hope 180 / 160 rotors, all tuned with ti bolts. The wheels are Specialized Roval XC Controle Race with an Eskar 2.3 up front and a Fast Trak LK 2.0 on the rear, both run tubeless. A Thomson Elite seat post holds a battered Specialized Toupe Team saddle. It doesn't look very comfortable but it is, surprisingly. And finally, a cheap stem holds Bontrager carbon bars with Titec Pork Rinds grips. Oh and an Extralite head set make the forks spin.
All in this lot weighs around 9.8kg, depending on how the scales are feeling at the time. Not very weight weenie I know, but I think there is potential to lose some weight here and there. The ride is pretty good even with the rigid fork. You get used to it. The big tyre up front helps. I don't really feel the need for suspension forks, even when I venture off road. And that's it for now. I'll post updates as and when they happen. Thank you for your attention.
Keep us posted, as I think anodizing that frame black would look the dogs!
p.s. get to mudding that drywall!!
Cielo by Chris King Cross Racer
Thanks for your replies, guys.
I just want to keep the build simple, and as I'm not working with much money that's just as well.
Yeah, the drywall is on the list of things to do, about number 376.
The alloy forks I got cheap on eBay, branded by eXotic I think. They're 42.5cm axle to crown, I didn't want to get forks that would be too long for the frame. Carbon would have been better but they were more expensive.
This build has seriously inspired me to do a summertime single-speed mtn build.......I am looking at a Nashbar aluminum frame and fork......should re-badge this thread as a rigid build thread......
Cielo by Chris King Cross Racer
I got mine from CRC as well, nice and cheap. I also read the reviews and thought that it looked a decent if older style frame for not a lot of money, which I could use / abuse without worrying too much about it. It's given me the opportunity to try my hand at modifying things to suit my needs, something that I haven't really tried before.
I cut a section off with my hacksaw and filed the rest away until the hose fitted in there. I got a pair of Shimano Deore hose clips from CRC which I used in the middle guide to securely hold the hose in place. I could have just put the clips in the outer guide and not bothered to do any modifications but I wanted it to look a bit sleeker. Anyway, a bit of rubbing down with some sandpaper and ta dah!
The V brake mount was done largely the same way. I already had a blanking bolt and a hose guide available, but it made the hose stick out along the side of the seat stay too much. I wanted it to run along the centre a bit more. So I cut off what I didn't want of the mount, then cut a v-shape which I filed it until the hose sat in there nicely. I fashioned the clip to hold the hose in place from the old hose guide. While I had the files and sandpaper out I smoothed the welds to make it look a bit tidier. Admittedly I did cut a bit more off of the mount than I had meant to, hence the rubber washer, but it hasn't been a problem. It works well and doesn't look too shabby an effort for a complete amateur at this sort of thing.
Just as some inspiration, as it's the exact same frame as yours
Nice build btw!
Thanks for your comments. I like what you've done with your frame. It must have taken you a while to smooth all of the welds down, especially around the BB area. Good colour choice too. I don't think I'd have the patience to do the same to mine.
The transition from paint to bare metal meant that I had to add something along the edge of the paint to stop it chipping off, hence the red stripes, which are strips cut off of a car stripe decal that I bought when I got the black paint. I'm not sure about them at the moment, one has to stay there but I might remove the other two.
Stripping the paint and polishing up the alloy took an age, and the worlds supply of sandpaper! I stopped at 1500 grit paper, but I'll probably go over it again with some finer grit paper at some stage.
After all of that it's still no lighter, but I think it looks better than it did originally.