Storck Absolutist 0.9 5.6kg - Update on page 3.

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderator: Moderator Team

CarpetFibre

by CarpetFibre

Hello all,

After much deliberation, careful planning and purchasing, I have finally started to accumulate parts for my new lightbike. I come from a time trialling background as that's where all the racing is here in the UK but I sold my TT bike to fund this. It was painful seeing it go but I have never really been any good at time trialling and at 58kg, hill climbing is something I've always found natural to me.
My TT bike was always hideously uncomfortable and riding it for more than an hour was just pure misery, the flat out speed of it I'll miss, but not the bone-jarring ride and lack of hand positions. It makes sense with the roads round here to spec a bike with more comfort in mind, although no need for long head tubes for a pedestrian position as I'm still young and flexible. :wink:
I bought a lot of these parts second hand and so a lot of thanks has to go to some WW members. :thumbup:

Anyway, here's what parts I've got so far, and I will get some photos of these as soon as possible!

Wheelset: Lew Pro VT-1 rims with Tune Mig70/Mag170 and 16/20 DT Aerolites. (960g)
Handlebar: Schmolke ergo SL. (157g)
Stem: Syntace F99, 90mm. (90g)
Seatpost: AX-Lightness Europa.
Saddle: AX-Lightness Apollo.
Crankset: Zipp 300, 170mm, 49/39 rings.
Drivetrain: Campagnolo Record 10 speed.
Brakes: Currently have some Chorus skeleton brakes, but may change these for Zero Gravity.
Bartape: Benotto Cello.
Cables: Alligator i-Link.

I'll update this as I go along.
Last edited by CarpetFibre on Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:23 pm, edited 8 times in total.

SWijland

by SWijland

Ghisallo +1

If you are using a Zipp 300 crankset, you might consider this bottom bracket: [url]http://www.xx-light-bikes.de/shop/pd334875399.htm?defaultVariants={EOL}&categoryId=72[/url] It doesn't get much lighter than that.

by Weenie

CarpetFibre

by CarpetFibre

SWijland wrote:Ghisallo +1

If you are using a Zipp 300 crankset, you might consider this bottom bracket: [url]http://www.xx-light-bikes.de/shop/pd334875399.htm?defaultVariants={EOL}&categoryId=72[/url] It doesn't get much lighter than that.

Thanks for the advice. I have the Zipp BB coming with it for the moment, but I clocked that BB before. I might consider it as a future upgrade if I can get some experience on the durability of it?

Regards,

David.

CarpetFibre

by CarpetFibre

Updated with a photo. Frame arrived today - according to my (inaccurate) scales, it was 1010g for the frame incl. mech hanger and cablestops. Fork was 455g(!) uncut, but hopefully a fair bit of steerer will come off. It's not the lightest set of forks I've seen by a long way, but they are incredibly beefy and hopefully aero. I couldn't believe how deep section the forks were in person! :shock:

Scottybee

by Scottybee

Lovely build- but I cannot get past that handlebar/brake lever position :noidea:
17 and stupid, bear with me

CarpetFibre

by CarpetFibre

What's strange about it? I like having the tops level on my handlebars so I can get low. It looks better too.

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

The setup is fine, but I personally would like my bar to have a little more on the bottom of the drop, almost looks like someone cut a section off (which I'm sure they didn't)

TerribleCadence

by TerribleCadence

Damn! Very nice, only seen one other storck in the area (Bristol, if you still live here)

That wheel-set is ridiculously light! If you are still in the bristol area, who do you ride with?
FELT AR0 Now sold.
CAAD10 Force 22, Quarq, Ksyrium SLR
LOOK 695 Light, Force22, Zipp 303.

Scottybee

by Scottybee

justkeepedaling wrote:The setup is fine, but I personally would like my bar to have a little more on the bottom of the drop, almost looks like someone cut a section off (which I'm sure they didn't)

Exactly, with most brake levers that handlebar shape is not designed to provide that pancake flat transition- forcing them to do so makes the setup look a bit- hackneyed. Like you are indeed missing the bottom part of your handlebar
17 and stupid, bear with me

CarpetFibre

by CarpetFibre

Scottybee wrote:
justkeepedaling wrote:The setup is fine, but I personally would like my bar to have a little more on the bottom of the drop, almost looks like someone cut a section off (which I'm sure they didn't)

Exactly, with most brake levers that handlebar shape is not designed to provide that pancake flat transition- forcing them to do so makes the setup look a bit- hackneyed. Like you are indeed missing the bottom part of your handlebar

To be honest I very rarely use the drops. I can get more aero and more comfortable with my hands draped over the tops or on the hoods with my elbows at 90 degrees. Sure, they're supposed to be rotated a bit more so it doesn't look like the drops are sawn off, but aesthetically (personally) and functionally (for my riding style), it's best like they are. Anyway, I've rolled them down a little bit since to reduce the reach, I'll have to do some testing on it to see what the best bar position for me is. Thanks for the heads-up though, I've seen these schmolke handlebars set up in many different ways and I wasn't sure which way was the 'correct' one. :thumbup:

TerribleCadence wrote:Damn! Very nice, only seen one other storck in the area (Bristol, if you still live here)

That wheel-set is ridiculously light! If you are still in the bristol area, who do you ride with?

Thanks! :D I don't live in Bristol, I live not far away in Oxfordshire. I don't usually ride with anyone to be honest, most of my cycling friends are beginner road cyclists really and the nearest weekly group ride is a 30 minute drive away. - Although my brother rides with me fairly often.

CarpetFibre

by CarpetFibre

I scored a second hand used Zipp 300 crankset that came with all the hardware and the Zipp 185 ISIS bottom bracket.

The stickers had to go so I sanded them down and touched up the clearcoat:

Here's the hardware:

655g all in, not bad at all. :beerchug:

I'll be ditching the 53 ring as it's too big for my little legs and I'll use a 49 ring. I have a TA Specialties one in 49 but it's currently on a different bike. I might consider giving Fibre-lyte a bell as they did my an aero chainring for my TT bike and it was fantastic.

With a possible BB upgrade in the future to the xxx-light one, I could see this crankset around 500g. Now that would be cool - but I gotta save up.

Frame is currently at the LBS having its fork steerer cut - I'll weigh some more stuff when it comes back.

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and occasionally in the Washington DC area.

by Powerful Pete

I love this kind of thread, with the developing build.

Nice job picking the parts.

Keep us posted as you continue to progress in the build. :thumbup:
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...pastatrails.blogspot.com
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

CarpetFibre

by CarpetFibre

Sorry for the delay, I've been having an absolute mare with these Lew wheels.

The bike is almost completely built up now; it just needs the freehub changing and the cassette put on. I gave it a test ride with my brother's Boras but I can't comment much yet on how it rides.
The seatpost is a little too long and I might be outside the clamping area - we'll have to see how I sit on it, so I may change the AX europa for a Schmolke TLO perhaps. I also plan on upgrading the forks as at 425g cut, this pair of forks is a boat anchor.

Here are a few photos of things on the scale. I apologise the scales are about as accurate as a drunk man relieving himself, but you get the basic idea...

I've ordered an 11-30 recon cassette but it'll take a while. I need the big sprockets as I like to stay spinning on the climbs and I have a standard chainset up front. I currently have a 12-29 Miche cassette which was great value and shifts well, but weighs almost 500g! :shock:
Recon cassette should come in around 150g; we'll see.

Hopefully I'll be able to get some pics of this thing rolling next week!

giant man

by giant man

Lovely frame, was it NOS or second-hand? Looking forward to this build, sounds yummy .......

by Weenie

CarpetFibre

by CarpetFibre

Thanks! It was new from S-Tec Sports - they had one left in my size so I am very happy, I think it was almost their last Absolutist 0.9; I always loved the paint job on this one.