My bike and me

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Siriuslux

by Siriuslux

Hi,
I have been cycling since 1989 (in Italy, and later in Germany and France), more seriously since 2016 (in Luxembourg).
My legs are quite long with 94cm, and only 186/187 cm tall. Therefore my choice in frames is rather limited, i.e. either custom made or marathon bike.
My bikes are:
- 1989 custom steel frame made out of Columbus Cromor tubes) 57cm long and 61cm tall, by Pozzi in the Brianza area, with 1980s Campagnolo Super Record. Weight ca. 10.7 kg
- 2000 around: custom titanium frame Eddy Merckx by Litespeed, with Campagnolo Chorus (9 speed), except for front hub and brake/shift levers, which are Campagnolo Record. Weight, already somewhat better at roughly 9kg. The combination of the Campagnolo components gave me the best ratio price for weight.
- 2016: Trek Domane 5.2c, marathon carbon frame 58cm with long saddle tube, 3T Superergo Team bar (carbon) 40cm, 3T ARX II stem (120mm) with titanium nuts, Dura Ace 9100P compact crank set, Ultegra 8000 shifter, original Ultegra 6700 brake shift levers, 6700 brakes, SRAM Red 22 chain, Mavic Cosmic Carbon SL tubeless wheels, Selle Italia Novus Boost Kit carbonio saddle, 2 Trek RXL carbon bottle holders. Total weight arount 7.6 kg, but need to measure again.

I am thinking about upgrading to 12 speed. That´s why am here.
Last edited by Siriuslux on Sat May 28, 2022 9:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

Welcome to Weight Weenies, @Siriuslux :beerchug: In addition to description of your nice bikes, a couple of photos would be even better, you can attach image files directly to comments. Do you have any questions about switching to 12 speed?

Siriuslux

by Siriuslux

Hello Klaster,

thanks for your suggestions, I would most likely post some photographs, but would need to reduce them in size, since otherwise I'd be blocked by the forum.

Switching to 12 speed, indeed I have some questions:
My Trek Domane 5.2c is presently equipped 11 speed: Dura Ace 9100P compact crank set, Ultegra 8000 shifter, original Ultegra 6700 brake shift levers, 6700 brakes, SRAM Red 22 chain, mostly with 11-32 Ultegra Cassette, if a lot of climbing is on the plate I go to a SRAM 11-36 cassette, as an alternative which I almost never use since here there are always climbs on every ride, there are 11-28 and 11-23 cassettes in my garage.

I am thinking to upgrade to 12 speed mechanical, but would like to:
- keep the DA-9100P crank set,
- keep my Mavic Wheels with Shimano cassette.
My idea is:
- 12-speed Campagnolo Chorus shift mechanism (rear),
- Campagnolo Chorus or Record front derailleur,
- Campagnolo 12 speed chain,
- Shimano 12 speed cassette, so I don't have to modify my two sets of wheels (Mavic and a DT Swiss 240s hub equipped aluminium wheel set),
- Campagnolo Chorus 11/34 rear derailleur
- Campagnolo Chorus brake/shift levers,
- Campagnolo Chorus or Record rim brakes.
Any idea would be welcome.

spokenwords

by spokenwords

How about some pics of the bikes?
As for going to Campa 12, I think you are doing it the same I would. Wheels and cassettes can be very particular but I would certainly give it a try. Is wipperman making a 12 speed chain? Sometimes things like a different brand chain make a decent difference in shift quality when mixing brands.
"Notice how the door closes when the chimes of freedom ring." Joe Strummer
"this goes to 11" Nigel Tufnel
Dont move to Austin
Major Taylor rules.

Siriuslux

by Siriuslux

Hi spokenwords,
just saw your reply. As far as I understand Wippermann make a 12 speed chain, this one:
https://www.connexchain.com/fahrradkett ... 2s0-1.html
so it's the 12 speed in S0 finish. I would like the 12speed in the SX finish.
Otherwise, I´d use the SX it it was available, so if I spend the extra 700 EUR or so, I would take the Campagnolo Record chain.