#57 - Colnago C64, BLBD

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

Picked this up locally recently. When I went to see the frame, I had to have it - that colour is *gorgeous*. But once I’d built it, something about it didn’t sit right.

Fast-forward a few weeks and the relief of solving a problem noise that was making me contemplate selling it (I hate noises) has made me realise how much I now like it…

I have a blue Tune Geiles Teil stem on the way (current stem is a Paul Comp Boxcar); and I'm about to order a Darimo 13mm post for it. I personally think the Colnago seatpost is over-the-top and I believe these changes will balance it more aesthetically. I also have a Tune Speedneedle Marathon saddle on the way, which will replicate the Flite Evolution shape in a newer format that won't click & creak.

Eventually I'll probably get a set of the El Tornado edition eeBrakes, but that's not a priority right now.

Cranks are new Rotor ALDHU carbons with a 5-arm spider and Praxis 52/36t rings. The wheels are HED Stinger 3s with 27c FMB Paris-Roubaix tubs mounted.

And yup, that’s ‘old school’ mechanical SRAM Red!

----------

Latest weight built like this is 6.82kg with pedals (Tune Speedneedle saddle, Tune stem, SRAM S900 DM brakes).
Last edited by RichTheRoadie on Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

eric01

by eric01

That is an awesome color! In my opinion it looks great as is. But a black carbon post might match the stem and cockpit better
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Banging mate!! Not sure on the sram tho

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

RichTheRoadie wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:23 am
{snip} ...and I'm about to order a Darimo 13mm post for it. I personally think the Colnago seatpost is over-the-top and I believe these changes will balance it more aesthetically... {snip} Eventually I'll probably get a set of the El Tornado edition eeBrakes, but that's not a priority right now.
eric01 wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:18 pm
That is an awesome color! In my opinion it looks great as is. But a black carbon post might match the stem and cockpit better
Yeah, this pic has made me realise I actually quite like it as it is. I'll re-asses when the blue Tune stem arrives; but for now those eeBrakes may have just jumped up the priority list...

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

From the side this new stem doesn't quite match, but against the darker blue on the top side of the top tube and down the front of the head tube it matches perfectly:

Now also wearing a Tune Speedneedle marathon saddle.

I ordered a Darimo post after all. I found a UD 13mm setback one in stock somewhere with the right colour graphics (black), so that should be here in the next couple of weeks.

I still want eeBrakes, but I doubt I'll get the new el Tornado Limited Edition ones after all - probably just plain black.

Prawn

by Prawn

It's a stunning colour!

To my eye, black tyres look better with that frame; somehow the fact that the frame colour 'fades to black' toward the axles suggests that colour on the wheels or tyres will detract from the overall look. (No doubt the FMB tyres are a delight to ride, which may be your reason for the gum walls.) Here's a photo of mine with black tyres as a point of reference.

By the way, a Darimo seat post seems like a great idea. Black will look good - and the Colnago seat post is quite heavy.
Attachments
IMG_0535.jpeg

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

That's a maahoooosve amount of rear mech cable

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

Prawn wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:44 am
To my eye, black tyres look better with that frame; somehow the fact that the frame colour 'fades to black' toward the axles suggests that colour on the wheels or tyres will detract from the overall look. (No doubt the FMB tyres are a delight to ride, which may be your reason for the gum walls.) Here's a photo of mine with black tyres as a point of reference.
To each his own - I find the frame needs the gumwalls to 'lift' the colour. I had black tyres on it initially and it made the whole bike feel too dull.

I do wish I still had my Gipfelsturms, though - the bike must feel lovely (and lively) with those on it?!
MrCurrieinahurry wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:47 am
That's a maahoooosve amount of rear mech cable Image
Mine's probably worse! I find SRAM works better with a big rear cable loop, though, so I've only got myself to blame for not running Campag on it! :twisted:

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

I'd be worried about catching wildlife or small children in that cable

Prawn

by Prawn

RichTheRoadie wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:46 am
Prawn wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:44 am
To each his own - I find the frame needs the gumwalls to 'lift' the colour. I had black tyres on it initially and it made the whole bike feel too dull.

I do wish I still had my Gipfelsturms, though - the bike must feel lovely (and lively) with those on it?!
Gipfelsturms are the wheels that I use most often. The Gips (with supple tyres at low pressures) are indeed lovely and lively on the C64. I'm rather restless when it comes to bike setup, so I switch wheels between the Gips, Meilenstein clinchers, and Caden tubeless. Each has their sweet spot, but Gips are my default option.
MrCurrieinahurry wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:47 am
That's a maahoooosve amount of rear mech cable Image
You are right! This was my first time setting up campag and I wasn't sure how much loop was needed. Luckily you can't see how much cable there is between the bars and the downtube! Next time around they will be shorter.

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

Now wearing a Darimo 13mm setback post and Extralite Streeter skewers; and, subsequently, coming in at 6.6kg:

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Looks great mate have you tried it with a black stem yet?

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

MrCurrieinahurry wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:38 am
have you tried it with a black stem yet?
Yup - see first post :D

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

just waiting for the darimo bar and stem intergrated set up to match the post?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

MrCurrieinahurry wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:02 pm
just waiting for the darimo bar and stem intergrated set up to match the post? Image
Tempted for sure! :twisted: