Saving weight on a Big XC Bike

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Jenkins

by Jenkins

Hey Folks,
I love to climb :up: . Long fire roads, tight switchbacks, rocky technical, the steeper the better :twisted: ! The problem is that you gotta go back down sometime and if you're gonna descend you might as well have fun :D . Does anyone have any ideas for lightening my XC bike? I was thinking maybe a Ti bottom bracket or drilling more holes in my bashguard. I want to lose weight but I'm concerned about sacrificing strength and stiffness(I weigh 220lbs :oops: ). My current set-up is just a hair over 50 lbs :roll: .
You're not worthy!

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

dude, no offense, but i hope you're joking. I mean to start with, if you were really THAT concerned with weight but still wanted a long travel bike, the banshee was a bad choice. Those things are awesome hucking bikes, but even for a long travel bike they're tanks. Best bet if you are serious, get lighter tires.

Jenkins

by Jenkins

Dude 8) . I'm not kidding. I'm currently running a standard 2.1 tube in the front to shave some weight but every time I run non-dh casing tires I pinch flat all the time :cry: . I recently switched to a 24" rear wheel and that shaved about a half pound :D . I have a little more trouble cleaning some of my favorite switchbacks now :evil: but the weight savings is worth it on long steady grades. What's up w/ those Al rotors? I saved a few grams by switching to a 6" rear hayes but the aluminum rotors look like a good idea. Do they hold up on extended descents or do they warp easily? As for the decision to go with the Banshee, I got tired of snapping chainstays on my Uzzi SLX :( . What is a big fat weight weenie to do?
You're not worthy!

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

Are you running a Ti spring on your rear shock, that would take off a lot of wieght, and I know they make them for long travel bikes. Also, I noticed you're running flat pedals, some BMX companies make good flat pedals out of magnesium that are about 3/4 of the weight, (DK Iron Cross pedals are good) Atomic laboratories also makes some pedals from Lucite that are pretty light but real tough. Also, I can't see the bars you're running, but if they're like azonic or some other DH bar, switch to easton carbon DH bars. I doubt you'll break them, and they're about 1/2 the weight.

elendil

by elendil

Why don't you post the complete specs so it's easier to find some possibilities to save some more weight. You could save some weight at the fork: Ti-springs or take the new Magura Thor (2600g), it has an adjustable travel (110-150mm) so you can climb up better but you'll loose 20mm of travel...

masterskier

by masterskier

If you don't do :twisted: [b]HUGE[/b] :twisted: drops you can use a new 2003 XTR crank and save [b]LOTS[/b] of weight. If you watch the World cup guys, they even use XTR. Hope that helped :D