Ergon Grips

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

gonzaloescobar2000

by gonzaloescobar2000

How do you decide which model is best? Any advice from 29er full suspension riders?

Flanderflop

by Flanderflop

These grips are pretty heavy across the board, but they are worth the comfort. There are higer end Carbon versions but as you don't really need the bar ends anyway, the Basic GP1 remains the grip of choice in my book. They won't break your bank account and they have a nice wide clamping surface for carbon bars.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dlpj

by dlpj

<edited> Thanks for removing the! crazy spam. Great board

ravenswood

by ravenswood

I have been wanting to try these grips. My left hand gets tingles after about an hour of riding. Anyone else have issues with rides and have had these grips work for them?
Rocky Mountain Altitude 90 | Fox Float RLC | XTR drivetrain | Formula R1 Brakes | Race Face Carbon Bars/Deus White Stem | Crank Brothers Cobalt Seatpost/Wheels | Schwalbe Racing Ralphs

project3

by project3

I'm using the GC2 weight about 255g per pair now getting the GP1 about 145g minus the bar end.

It's so comfortable I do not mind the weight.

Shaman

by Shaman

I must be the only person alive for whom these grips just don't work.

Tried the GX1's and just couldn't get comfortable on them. Countless hours of training and racing trying to tweak the angle and still couldn't get it right. Have gone back to some ritchey foamies until I see something else worth trying.

Also have a set of GX1s collecting dust.

743power
Shop Wrench

by 743power

I have tried the gx1 and gp1 l's and I am back to either esi or foams. The gx1s had two stiff of a wing and the gp1ls were comfy, but I felt them limiting my riding in the techy stuff.
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

Weights have come down a lot.

The GX1s were quite stiff, but the new GS1 are our marathon grips. About 130grams-ish a pair. A tiny penalty over a set of standard lock-ons, provided you get on with them. (It is about 80 / 20 who love them / don't like them).

Bar ends are pretty much all composite now.

Get the size S if you do a lot of technical riding. These allow you to get your hands further around the grips.

Anyone here I would guess, would be looking for the ones in white packaging, which are the lighter weight versions.
(GS1, GS2, GS3, GX1, GX2, GX3 and some old stock GP1 Leichtbau and GR2 Leichtbau)

Green packaging is the Leisure / Commute versions
(GP1, GC2, GR2, GR3, GC3)

Black Packaging the technical / freeride versions
(GA1, GE1)

Rich @ Ergon

backflat

by backflat

i had a lot of trouble discussing the grips and sizing with the manufacturer,
and decided on my own,to purchase the womens version of the grip shift length model.
and still had to cut an inch off the grip,to get the grips to work correctly with my grip shifter .
i was not going to relocate shifters closer to stem,, or cut my bar width .
the grip causes a small amount of initial unintentional steering from palm rest,
but after a few rides, it is a non issue.

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

Blackflat, there are no womens / mens specific models (unless old stock). Just S & L. There is a guide based on hand size related to glove size, but who knows which size gloves they use :?: :noidea:

My recommendation normally is size S if you ride with gloves, size L is you ride without gloves - unless you have huge hands (you will know if you have massive hands) then size L all the way. As it is a personal preference though, there aren't any hard rules to stick to.

The new GS version of the grips though really is a massive step forward.

backflat

by backflat

the manufacturer never mentioned anything about newer models or sizes . i simply asked which ergon grip worked with gripshift, and it was too confusing for them. so i went into rei myself and looked at everything on display. the boxes had mens and womens printed on the packaging...and i opened a few boxes and tried them out,
after i picked a set and got them to the bike shop, i held them up to existing grips and guessed at the length to cut them off,
and made a few adjustments. then took the bike out,
the first thing i noticed was unintentional palm steering and i made some rotational adjustments with allen wrench i took with me.
after a few rides, i am very happy with the grip design.

MISTERFUNKTASTIC

by MISTERFUNKTASTIC

Ergon grips are the most comfortable grips I've tried.

I have the GP1 on a hi-performance bike and the GS1 on my mountain bike.

I would recoomend the GS1 for a mountain bike. It's a little bit lighter and easy to move your hands on them.
And like others have mentioned' get the size "S", unless you wear a size 16 shoe.
MISTER FUNKTASTIC

hnoor0077

by hnoor0077

How do you decide which model is best?????

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

I like the more round ones, GE1 or GE1 Slim.

But, I like the winged styles, sometimes even with bar ends, on my rigid SS.