2011 29er Build. Need Ideas

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

zach

by zach

This is a general idea of what I want my bike for next season to look like. What mods would you make to the bike if it was yours?The weight on the frame is a guess and I'm guessing that the complete build weight would be closer to 22.5lbs.

Giant XTC 29er Frame Large: 1360g
Manitou Tower Pro: 1696g
Sun Ringle Black Flag Pro 29er wheels: 1665g
Answer Protaper 720mm Bar: 205 g
Thomson Post: 263g
Thomson elite x2Stem: 147g
Sram XO Derailleur: 203 g
Sram XO GripShift: 195g
Sram 991 HollowPin Chain: 278g 6012g
Middleburn RS8 Cranks:. 406g
MiddleBurn Rings: 27-40 35g 68g
FSA Platinum Pro BB: 239g
Shimano XTR Pedals: 310 g
Shimano XT Front Derailleur: 150 g
Avid Juicy Ultimate Brakes: 345 g per wheel
ESI Chunky Grips: 60 g
WTB Silverado SLT: 205g
Specilized Rib Cage: 36g 2199g
FSA Headset: 140g
Shimano XT 11-34:292g
Kenda Karma 29x1.90 510g per tire.
Total Weight: 9663g 21.30lbs*

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mimc66

by mimc66

Working on a similar project. Got everything but the seatpost but here is what I came up with so far. Note that your wheel weight will probably be higher with the thru-axle option. I had a really hard time with the fork - the reba taper did not work with the short head tube and had to fabricate a solution. Putting the rest together this week and will see if my estimated weights of the pieces add up to the weight of the bike.
Pounds
Frame Giant XTC 2 29er 3.52
Fork Rockshox Reba XX with Xloc 3.62
Handlebars Pro XCR riser 0.43
Stem Pro XCR 90mm 0.30
Grips Pro duel compound 0.18
Saddle Specialized Phenom 0.53
Seatpost Pro XCR 0.43
Shifters Shimano XT 0.56
Front Derailuer Shimano XT 0.33
Rear Derailuer Shimano XTR 0.43
Brakes Shimano XTR 1.59
Cassette Shimano XTR 11-34 (yumeka upgrade) 0.50
Chain Shimano XTR 0.70
Crankset Shimano XTR 1.70
Rims Giant P29 2.42
Tires Kenda Karma 2.83
Spokes Sapim CX-Ray 0.66
Hubs Shimano XTR 20mm front 0.51
Hubs Shimano XTR 975 rear 0.59
Tubes 29er tubes 0.78
Nipples Brass 0.14
Bottle Cage King Ti 0.06
Pedals Shimano XTR 0.72
Total 22.81

zach

by zach

So the weight of the frame is closer to 3.5lbs? I've ordered the frame and have a few of the parts now. The main thing is wheels and fork.

painless

by painless

zach wrote:This is a general idea of what I want my bike for next season to look like. What mods would you make to the bike if it was yours?The weight on the frame is a guess and I'm guessing that the complete build weight would be closer to 22.5lbs.

Manitou Tower Pro: 1696g :arrow: FOX needed
Sun Ringle Black Flag Pro 29er wheels: 1665g :arrow: maybe American classic. they're a little bit lighter and tubeless
Answer Protaper 720mm Bar: 205 g :arrow: realy needed such a wide bar? feeling like a truck wheel
Thomson Post: 263g :arrow: some carbon or kcnc should be lighter
Shimano XT Front Derailleur: 150 g :arrow: old-school top-swing XTR could be 113 g
Avid Juicy Ultimate Brakes: 345 g per wheel :arrow: Formula R1. newer, better. also light disc could be very good talking about rotational mass. hope floating rotors have very good weight and performance.
ESI Chunky Grips: 60 g :arrow: maybe wcs foams?
WTB Silverado SLT: 205g :arrow: there are a lot of litghter saddles.
FSA Headset: 140g :arrow: mine cane creek semiintegrated is 110 g.
Kenda Karma 29x1.90 510g per tire. :arrow: up to your taste, but I should choose racing ralpfh or rocket ron.
With style, petite, with style...

kevbikemad

by kevbikemad

i am guessing your build will be over 23 lbs, specially if that frame is really an extra 200 grams.

Did you factor in all the parts? Skewers? Rotors? Tubes or sealant? Seat post clamp? Shifter cables & housing? Maybe you included some of those items in with other weights?
blah, blah, blah

zach

by zach

The sun ringle,thomson,kenda and answer parts are sponsors I currently have a race face deus carbon bar(I'm 6'3" which is bar of the motivation for a wider bar. I'm thinking Thomson masterpiece instead of the elite also have a race face deus next sl post. I could also go the way of esi racers edge which would drop 20grams. The headset has to accomadate the tapered stearer tube.

mimc66

by mimc66

Well, spreadsheets sometimes don't add up. I still need to cut the steer down but complete mine was 25.5 lbs with pedals and an alloy seatpost (pro carbon is on back order). Going with a race wheelset would probably lose a pound but would be difficult to get the weight down to 22lbs.

Hi|ikus

by Hi|ikus

Considering the 26" frame weighs just under 1600g for a large, I think 1360g for the 29" frame is a bit optimistic, unless y'all got a carbon version we don't get in Australia...
Shut up legs and do what I tell you!

zach

by zach

I couldn't find any weights for the frame online so I just guessed at 3lbs to get some idea. I'm thinking 23-24lbs is more easily doable for this bike. The spec the I've chose however can survive an entire race season with out major breakdowns.

743power
Shop Wrench

by 743power

I'm in the process of building an xtc29. I built 2 for friends last year, both under 23lbs. The small started as an xtc1, so it's running the f29rl. The rest of the build is giant slr parts, xx group with x10sl chain, ck/dt comp/stans crest wheels, ignitors tubeless, steel rail tundra saddle, racers edge esi grips, xtr pedals. That one was 21lb 10 oz or something like that. The large I built from a frame. Reba team, ec90 post with ti hardware, giant slr bars, elixir r's, hope/dtcomp/arch rims tubeless with ignitors, xtr cranks, e13 ring, mrp guide, x9sl, st cassette, ti eggbeaters. That one is 22.5.

I'm still planning out mine, but it's going to be a mostly leftover bike with parts I took off my anthem-x.

large frame
reba xx
xx brakes
stans crest house wheels
aspen exc or the new icon tires tubeless
giant slr post
fizik antares saddle
9spd x0 1x9 with xtr cassette
edge sweep bars
pro vibe or ritchey wcs stem

I'm hoping to see it be really close to 21lb, since my large anthem-x is around 21.5 with 20 gears.

P.S. - how did you get the reba tapered to work? I couldn't find a solution that I was comfortable with. The 2011 forks are coming with shorter tapers though, so they should work on just about any 29er with a midget headtube. Also, the 2011 frames have at least 5mm added to the headtubes.
Attachments
kenxtc.jpg
photo.jpeg
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

kibsen

by kibsen

The bike illustrated in kenxtc.jpg is too big for the rider, if the seat post is at the right level.
But nice bike.

743power wrote:I'm in the process of building an xtc29. I built 2 for friends last year, both under 23lbs. The small started as an xtc1, so it's running the f29rl. The rest of the build is giant slr parts, xx group with x10sl chain, ck/dt comp/stans crest wheels, ignitors tubeless, steel rail tundra saddle, racers edge esi grips, xtr pedals. That one was 21lb 10 oz or something like that. The large I built from a frame. Reba team, ec90 post with ti hardware, giant slr bars, elixir r's, hope/dtcomp/arch rims tubeless with ignitors, xtr cranks, e13 ring, mrp guide, x9sl, st cassette, ti eggbeaters. That one is 22.5.

I'm still planning out mine, but it's going to be a mostly leftover bike with parts I took off my anthem-x.

large frame
reba xx
xx brakes
stans crest house wheels
aspen exc or the new icon tires tubeless
giant slr post
fizik antares saddle
9spd x0 1x9 with xtr cassette
edge sweep bars
pro vibe or ritchey wcs stem

I'm hoping to see it be really close to 21lb, since my large anthem-x is around 21.5 with 20 gears.

P.S. - how did you get the reba tapered to work? I couldn't find a solution that I was comfortable with. The 2011 forks are coming with shorter tapers though, so they should work on just about any 29er with a midget headtube. Also, the 2011 frames have at least 5mm added to the headtubes.

mimc66

by mimc66

Yeah - Giant was no help with this and Sram was willing to swap out the steerer for a 2011 but could not wait. Measured 6x and a local machine shop fabricated spacers for bottom/top to make up the difference. $80. Will send some pictures this week.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

743power
Shop Wrench

by 743power

I thought we were the only ones with that problem. I just got a straight steerer reba for now. I will get the new csu from sram when i know they fixed the problem.

About the small xtc I posted. I think the saddle went up another inch, but 29ers definitely dont fit everybody right. I'll have to run a -10 stem with flatbar and zero stack spacers to get my position close to my anthem and it will still be taller in the front than I like.
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."